Friday, April 04, 2008

Galoshes Would Make it Better

Mama, why am I so alone?
I can't go outside
I'm scared I might not make it home
I'm alive but I'm sinking in
If there's anyone at home at your place
Why don't you invite me in
Don't try to bleed me
I've been there before and I deserve a little more

I belong in the service of the Queen
I belong anywhere but in between
She's been lying
I've been sinking
And I am the Rain King

For the love of God is it ever going to stop raining? I really don't think it is, the last week has just been a mass of rain and thunder and lightning, pretty much the last thing you want when you're trying to get a new roof. It literally has been raining since before I woke up today. No one can come and quote on the roof when all it does is poor down constantly, and so I'm sure all these roofers are getting further and further behind. It's just a massive disaster and my hair has been a total wreck for a week now. Our yard is about a foot tall now and really needs a cutting but it's way too wet for it. Everyone at work seems totally sluggish due to a lack of sunlight and Pippin's cabin fever resulted in him "sampling" a mostly empty bucket of drywall (that we were using to capture the leakage from our crappy skylight) while we were at work today. He had quite the fun time and got it all over himself, stuck to his nose, slathered on his collar and of course all over his feet and we can pretty much tell which furniture he hung out on the rest of today...... There have been a few nights where the break has been large enough (or the drizzle light enough) that we've gotten to take him for walks, and I can't complain about the temps, just the massive quantities of rain.

Workouts have been decent this week. Mon and Tues I had a decent and then a great run. Wed was the first day the gym was closed, so I ventured the half mile walk to the other downtown Y with a coworker. Um yeah, tiny was an understatement. It's the top floor (the 30th) of the 5th Third bank building at the corner of Church and 5th, but WOW is it small. Since I had run Mon and Tues, Wed was a cross train day (which normally would be a swim day, but this Y is pool-less) and that's a good thing because the only machine open was the ski machine. I did my ski-thing for 20 mins and then headed back. So, 20 mins of ski plus a one mile walk. Not too bad. Thursdays I always have another obligation, and today it was raining so badly that there was just no way I could walk a mile to the gym in the massive hurricane going down outside. So, some ladies and I followed the indoor walking "trail" posted on the office walls. First we climbed the stairs all the way to the top - a total of 12 stories - to the top of our largest building from where we are in the "dungeon". Then we did the "trail" which is just a large loop between a couple of building utilizing our skywalks. 7 laps equal a mile so we did that. We're actually going to start doing that in the morning and the afternoon, if we're going to have some gossip time we might as well be productive! Any extra exercise is better than nothing. And when I got home I did one hour of toning DVDs to make up for not hitting the gym today. Good stuff....

And from 7:30 on tonight I've been on my own. Brent made some AWESOME brownies last night. Seriously, they were some of the best brownies EVER. But it gave him a headache last night, which we thought was a weird coincidence, until this morning when he had one for breakfast (um yeah) and has had a bad headache ever since. We turned down a dinner invite and stayed home, and I made a yummy chicken stew that I THOUGHT would make him feel better, but he pretty much said he felt like he was going to puke after dinner and went to bed. So, note to self: chicken stew is not a good comfort food for Brent. So Brent's been asleep in the bed, Pippin's been asleep in my lap and I've been catching up on the things I TiVo that Brent refuses to watch. Just.One.Wild.Night. Hopefully this is not the start to a crap weekend!

And Good Luck to the University of Memphis Tigers tomorrow!!! WOOOOOOO!!!!!! I am so excited they are in the Final 4!!!! I'm gonna be wearing my ancient Memphis shirt tomorrow and cheering for my homies!!! Holllaaaaaa! Happy Friday everyone!

4 Comments:

At 8:16 PM, Blogger MNFirefly said...

I hope that Brent feels better soon.

 
At 2:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope it won't be raining this week because we are going to be there on Tuesday! I can't believe we are moving.

Way to go on your workouts! I've been a total slacker with preparing for the move - I've been running one mile a day and that's it. Oh well I'll have tons of time after we unpack to catch up on working out.

I hope Brent is feeling better and that you enjoyed all your shows.

Go Memphis!

 
At 3:26 PM, Blogger Rich said...

Yeah, your Tigers spanked my Longhorns. It's going to be a tough fight tomorrow though - I think they're pretty evenly matched.

 
At 5:01 PM, Blogger David said...

I might be able to spare an ark from down here. It's been pretty bad here too, although my hair is just fine.
Good for you getting in your workouts.
Bummer about the skylight and long grass. Hopefully you had some clearing this weekend.

What are in those best ever brownies that gave you both headaches? I am afraid to know.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home