Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Props to the King

Hey guys! Happy death day for Elvis! I'm originally from Memphis, so I've been around the Aug 16th 'celebrations' in honor of Elvis' death. In his honor, once I finish my blog I'm going online to register for the Memphis Half Marathon in December. I think it'll be a lot of fun to run through my old hometown and see what's changed in the almost 7 years I've been gone.

Today I'm still tapering down for this weekend's races. Tonight I did 40 minutes of yoga/pilates and light aerobics. No running, and that's so tough for me because we had more strong storms this afternoon so the evening temps would've been ripe. It was really a hurricane outside this afternoon, so much so that everyone was 'prairie dogging' in the office to catch a glimpse. It's sad when the excitement of the day is watching the picnic table umbrellas flip inside out. Makes your life really feel worthwhile!

Here's more of the weekend recap: Sat after going to Cheekwood we went to the ONLY Subaru dealer in Nashville. You know you're going to get a great deal from the ONLY dealer in about an hour and a half's drive, NOT! I was immediately drawn to the new Subaru Tribeca SUV. It's the largest Subaru with an accordingly large price tag. We were wheeled, dealed and sweet talked. I really hate car shopping. It's a GREAT car, so we went through the motions of seeing what the price to us would be. I have a 00 Eddie B Expedition, 59000 miles, and EVERY option imaginable. The BB trade in value is $15K, resale value of $17K. They had the nerve to offer me $9K after a 30-minute speech about how there are too many used cars in the market right now. As if!!! They offered me a 'great' deal with a $500 note for the next five years! I don't talk much about my work life, because it's a bore to me and I don't want to scare anyone off, but I'm a CPA and a CIA. So, I'm pretty focused on maintaining good finances here at home, and we've socked away a lot of money. There's no way I would spend that on something that doesn't appreciate. We'd like to move into a great neighborhood in the city next spring, in a great older type house with a lot of personality (not our current suburbia!!). THAT makes financial sense, not a massive car note!! Anyway, after enduring more sales pressure we thanked him for his time and left and ate some Indian food. I LOVE Indian food! This time we went to Cuisine of India on 21st, near Vanderbilt. It was awesome, as always.

After that we came home and watched the Machinist. This is the one that has Christian Bale at an ungodly weight. He lost over a 100 pounds for this movie, I think he was down to 135. It was neat in one of those weird thriller ways, kind of like the Village or Sixth Sense. You know there's going to be a weird twist at the end, but you just don't know what it might be. It was good, you should give it a try!

Well, I'm going to go register for the Memphis half marathon! I'll talk about our Sunday at the dog park and post some pics from it tomorrow! Have a great night!

Rachel

Exercise: 2/3 mile morning walk with Pippin (I slept in a little....), 40 minute yoga/pilates/toning

1 Comments:

At 7:06 PM, Blogger brent said...

oh my gosh i am going through that whole car thing right now as we speak. it is so hard to not want a nice car (my lease is expring on saturday). i'm afraid i agreed to get something fancy, i hope i don't regret it too much. i need you guys to be there with me at the dealership so i don't do something stupid! heh.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home