Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Another reason not to live in the South (as if you needed one)

Has Tennessee ever gotten positive press? I think it's all been downhill for us since Elvis died, and since that was about 2 months before I was born I guess that makes my whole life suck. The latest 'fattest states in America' study has just been released and surprise, surprise, the South reigns. I guess if we can't be good at reading, writing and arithmetic we'll just be good at eating. I think they said on the news something like 61% of Tennesseans are overweight. This doesn't surprise me at all with all the meat and threes and Cracker Barrels on every corner. Do you guys even know what a meat and three is? I can't imagine them being a nation-wide thing. It's basically gross 'home-style' cooking, like meatloaf, turkey & dressing, roast beef, fried chicken served cafeteria style with a selection of 'vegetables' on the side. I put veggies in quotes because fried okra, macoroni and cheese, and mashed potatoes smothered in gravy really AREN'T vegetables. Congrats to all you RBF-ers up in the Northeast for not being as fat!

Anyway, tonight instead of heading to the gym we decided to take advantage of some cooler temps and take Pippin for a walk. He loved it! When I started to put on some work-out clothes he ran and got a toy (as usual). I looked at him and told him we were going to go for a walk, and he dropped his toy and let out a squeal! He knows the word walk! I accidentally used it one day when he was standing on the treadmill and he got all excited so we've learned to watch what we say in front of him. We had a nice walk and he got to play with his fave gal pal, the big Lab Abby. He LOVES her and she's about 10 times bigger than he is.

Here's my other gripe for the day (this is why I avoid the news). Smyrna (my suburb) is plopping down $220K for a 'splash' park. This is basically a little park with a lot of different showery type things that kids can run around in in the summer. This would be a fine use of my MASSIVE taxes if it weren't for a couple of things like the fact that they cancelled the annual fireworks show due to a lack of revenue and they decided not to build a $500 dog park because it's really the owner's responsibility to find a place for the animals to play. WTF?? How about parents find a bath tub for their kids to play in and save me some money. The hospital has 3 big fountains - take your kids there, plenty of other people do. I can't wait to be mayor.

Rachel

Exercise -
1 mile am walk with Pippin, 30 minute evening walk with Brent and Pippin, 20 minutes toning (focus-upper body), 20 minutes yoga/pilates (focus - thighs/legs)

7 Comments:

At 5:42 AM, Blogger Running Chick said...

We have to spell the word in our house: W-A-L-K. We even have it shortened to 'W" - pronounced 'Dub.'

All hell breaks loose if we actually say it. Much barking and leaping and jumping and whining. From two 80-lb dogs. =)

 
At 12:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 12:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 12:20 PM, Blogger Mr. Excitement said...

I hear people talking about how fat Tennesseans are, but I just don't see it. We were at shoney's breakfast bar this morning (or it could have been later while we were at Krispy Kreme) and I heard some of the people talking about it. I think a bunch of my friends are meeting at the KFC buffet tonight, I'll ask them if they know anything about this.
Keep up the good work (both running and blogging).
-Newman

 
At 12:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 12:39 PM, Blogger Mr. Excitement said...

Sorry for the multiple comments. My stomach was laying on the keyboard.

 
At 3:51 PM, Blogger Rae said...

Oops! I didn't know deleting comments would look like that! Nothing bad was posted, just blogspot duplicating comments a few times like it does periodically! (But this does make my post seem very controversial!!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home