Sunday, August 21, 2005

Walking into bathroom doors

Hey guys! So it's Saturday night and another great weekend comes to an end. Crap. After a 3-day weekend I really, really do not want to go back to work. Really.

Anyway, after getting cleaned up from Sat am's race Brent and I did some shopping and errands around town and then headed home to veg out. While we were out we looked at some bikes at a local bike shop. The kid who waited on us there was so friendly and knowledgeable about bikes that if we do decide to buy we'll definitely buy from them. I think biking would be a great way to cross-train, I'm just not sure how much I would like to sink into a bike and how often we would use them.

Sat night we watched Wedding Crashers. I thought it was pretty funny. If you like Old School or Dodgeball you'll like WC. Vince Vaughn has such an offbeat sense of humor and I love it. Owen Wilson's nose could use some work though (has he been in a freak accident or something?). Of course Will F made a short cameo. Old School HAS to be one of the funniest movies ever. I think I wept while watching that movie the first time!

So, on to what the title of my blog is all about today. After long runs or runs where I really push myself my inner thigh, about halfway between my inner thigh and outer thigh can get pretty sore. I wasn't feeling all that great last night as a result, and the heat had taken a LOT of me so I pretty much passed out as soon as my head hit the pillow. As we were brushing our teeth for bed this weird little red & black flying bug was scooting around the bathroom. It wasn't much bigger than a mosquito, but the odd coloring of it made him much more intimidating. We tried to kill it but never could seem to catch the bugger. We did what all responsible people did and shut the door to the bathroom and went to bed. I drink a LOT of water. It's like I'm a cactus saving up for the drought or something. I mean a LOT. As a result, I pee a lot. I get up every single night, like an old lady or something. So, about 4 am I woke up and had to go. Since this is a nightly ritual I usually do it with my eyes closed, literally. I guess I don't even have to say it. I walked SMACK straight into the door. Brent NEVER wakes up, but this time he heard the smack and we both started laughing. What can you do??? It didn't get much better when I got up. I was still really tired and half asleep and somehow Pippin and I got a little tangled up. He always waits outside our door on Sat and Sun, and when he hears me get up he gets pretty excited. So when I opened the door he proceeded to jump up and greet me and somehow get his dog tag tangled on the hem of my pajama pants. Great. Again, I was half asleep and I'm not even sure if my eyes were open. I'm trying to unhook him and nothing's working and he starts to panic. At this point I was even trying to rip my pants just to stop this torture. I end up getting pulled down on the ground and banging my shoulder into our little dresser/TV stand. Then I started calling for help and Brent got up and untangled us. To recap the past 7 days I've managed to vacuum up the laptop cord exposing the bare wire, cut a major portion of my thumb nail off while chopping an apple, walk straight into a shut door and get so tangled with my dog's collar that I can't even stand up. I'm ready for the retirement home.

Tonight we headed out for a 7 mile run. It was so unbelievably hot today, and even close to sunset it was still in the mid-upper 90's. After about 4 miles I was finally starting to adjust to the conditions and get in the groove. Crazy!! Due to some freaking, annoying loose dogs I had to take a detour. I HATE loose dogs. I'm going to order one of the dog repeller things Jon discovered. I'd prefer to just do the southern redneck thing and shoot their asses but I guess I should stick with the legal alternative. At least in the daylight hours. Anyway, it was a pretty good run and it felt good not to be racing and just keeping a slower, steady pace.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a good speed-distance watch? Right now I use the Nike CV10. I don't care about the heart-rate tracking. Wearing the chest strap makes me a little sick (I have a weak running stomach - I can't do Powerade or Gatorade and I'm starting to try out some GUs and see how that goes...), so I don't care about that feature. I'm sick of calibrating the CV10, it only works well at slower paces and forgot about trying to mix your pace up. At my 5K Sat morning it said I went 1.1 miles!!!!! Not exactly the piece of equipment I want to trust when I start long runs for marathon training! I'm thinking about the Garmin Forerunner 201 but I'd like to hear your opinions.

Also, Brent's putting up pics from this weekend's race on his blog. Be sure to check them out, they should be up sometime tonight. He did a great job capturing the race and got one of THE funniest pictures I've ever seen from a race about the lengths some people will go to not to be last.

Rachel

Exercise:
Fri - 5K race
Sat - 5K race
Sun - 7 mile run

3 Comments:

At 10:25 AM, Blogger brent d. said...

so... "walking into bathroom doors"... is that why your blog is titled "running into a brick wall". and, if it is, are you ok? that had to hurt!

 
At 7:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Was runningintoabathroomdoor.blogspot.com already taken?

 
At 2:57 PM, Blogger Steffany said...

Just wanted to say that I'm a newbie runner...er, a sometimes runner trying to get serious once and for all, and this time around I bought a Forerunner 201--based largely upon opinions I've heard from bloggers in the RBF. Anyway, I LOVE it. Of course, I've yet to experience any problems with it (I've only had it for about three weeks), but it is hands-down the greatest motivational tool I've ever used. Awesome for hiking and biking, too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home