Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Brent D is THE best training partner

Hey guys!! Is it Christmas YET? Even though I haven't wrapped a single thing yet I'm am ready for Christmas to come just so it's not hanging out there anymore! We've done everything just as it needed to be done, ya know. We both had our department Christmas "bashes" today, so we spent all of last night cooking and getting cards/gifts ready for work today. Tonight we have a holiday get together with some of my former coworkers and on the car ride over I'm going to be working on gifts to take to work tomorrow!! I always give out little rawhide candy canes to Pippin's dog friends and ppl at work with dogs, so I need to assemble those tonight. We (Brent) created little To/From tags with Pippin's picture on it.

So, Brent D is THE best training partner. I didn't mean to come off as unappreciative or anything of his support in previous post, and I know you guys know that. I was just writing what was in my head during a miserable long run. Back last winter when I was training alone for my first half marathon he would periodically drive up and down the path I used (often with Pippin) just to honk and wave for me. And sometimes (even though I always have water) he'd park up ahead and run to catch me with a bottle of water and trot along with me for a little bit. AND, sometimes he would tape a sign to himself that said he was part of Team Rachel. How many guys would do that??? I'm very thankful we can run together, it makes the hobby invade so much less invasive on our personal time and racing wouldn't be a lot of fun if he wasn't into it to. (Although he does like taking pictures of the races when he doesn't participate - especially if he can get a good puke shot). So, he is THE best training partner. The hard part for me comes when he drops out - sometimes in a dramatic fashion. We've been together 10 years this past October (New Year's Day will be our SEVENTH wedding anniversary!). So, I like him a little. When he's struggling, I struggle. Sort of like how I imagine twins must feel. I can read his pace, his breathing, the sounds of his footsteps, and a lot of times I can tell before he can that he's struggling. When he stops all of a sudden and grabs his knee, ankle, leg, stomach, etc and tells me to "GO ON, GO ON" it's a little hard to continue and NOT worry about him and whether or not he'll be able to make it to the car, etc. If it was just a close friend I might worry a little, but it wouldn't be THAT hard to get my focus back. So, we've talked about it this week and he's going to start doing the second half of these ultra ultra long runs with me. (And thank goodness it's about to be taper time!! I can't wait to have a 12 mile long run!!) With him doing the second half I'll have something to look forward to, and he'll be fresh and able to help motivate me more during the second half of the run. Problem solved!!

My department went out to lunch for our holiday lunch today. We went at TWO this afternoon, with the premise that we could leave 'early' after we ate. I work 7.30-4.30, so by the time we ate lunch and stared at each other it was 3.30. Then, some of the headed over to the bar for drinks and I said 'See ya!' Instead of more staring I came home and took Pips for a walk. (It was in the teens this morning so we skipped our am walk). He was VERY excited so I know I made the right decision. I really don't consider it leaving early if you're sitting around staring at your coworkers at 3 in the afternoon with a drink. I'd much rather have some time AWAY from them!!

Well, it's time for me to get dolled up for our holiday dinner tonight! See ya!

Exercise-
Mon - 1 mile am walk with Pips, 5 mile treadmill run
Tues - 2 mile pm walk with Pips

9 Comments:

At 3:11 PM, Blogger ida said...

A solid running partner makes it a delight to hit the trail. You two are great!

A runner crossed my path yesterday, and I recognized him from somewhere. He looks like a Fraggle; hard to miss. I wanted to yell, "Wait! Run with me!" but he has a funny, springy gait, and it made me giggle. And only complete loon attempt to make a stranger morph into a chatty running partner on mile three. Eh?

 
At 7:37 PM, Blogger jeanne said...

What a great partnership you two have. You are so very lucky!!
And boy do I agree with you about the staring at colleagues thing at the holiday party. Enuf already--can we just go home early?!?! :)

 
At 8:43 PM, Blogger RedheadFangirl said...

Awww..Team Rachel! As they say in the south...bless his heart!

I also loved your posts about being sweaty and tired and still getting honked at. There was this comedian once who asked what these guys really expect when they honk at a woman...like she'll chase the car and say "so, hey, you honked at me??" I think of that and smile now!

 
At 3:18 AM, Blogger CJ said...

You are very lucky to have Brent as a training partner - he sounds great and very supportive.

I've done the work Christmas lunches - actually they weren't too bad this year but also I got to leave early because of a physio appointment.

We are still shopping for presents but we are nearly done. Our youngest sons flies in from Queensland on Christmas Eve. I am hanging out for Christmas - I love this time of year.

Have a happy and safe Christmas and a wonderful new year. 2006 will be a great year!!!!

 
At 3:18 AM, Blogger CJ said...

You are very lucky to have Brent as a training partner - he sounds great and very supportive.

I've done the work Christmas lunches - actually they weren't too bad this year but also I got to leave early because of a physio appointment.

We are still shopping for presents but we are nearly done. Our youngest sons flies in from Queensland on Christmas Eve. I am hanging out for Christmas - I love this time of year.

Have a happy and safe Christmas and a wonderful new year. 2006 will be a great year!!!!

 
At 7:10 AM, Blogger mouse said...

seriously, you two are awesome. I always read your posts and go "awwwww" (in my head of course... I don't want everyone at work thinking I'm crazy!).

uh oh... does brent know you turn into "mean rae" at the end of your long runs? because he may not have agreed to this new plan... :) But I think it's awesome the compromises you guys are making. That's so true about being able to enjoy it together and how it's not as invasive on personal time that way.

 
At 5:45 PM, Blogger brent said...

you guys are fun!

 
At 6:14 PM, Blogger onepinkfuzzy said...

How sweet...this post made me laugh so hard. Reminds me of all the times I have had to do the same for Johnny.

PS I love your new christmas picture!

 
At 6:52 PM, Blogger David said...

I love your Christmas picture too.

And you are very fortunate to have a training and life partner in Brent. That would be a dream come true for me but, alas, my favorite running partner is not my wife and my wife is not a runner.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home