Saturday, December 10, 2005

21 miles in the Bank. Ka-ching.

Hey guys! This past week was boring, boring, boring as far as work was concerned. Blah. But, I got a lot of mileage in, even in the crappy cold weather. I think 25-27 was my coldest run one night this week. You know it's hella cold when your water bottles start freezing up! Yikes....

Wed at work we had our bizarre office holiday luncheon thing. We were all forced to wear these hideous red shirts with the company's name on them. We were asked our sizes the week Brent and I were on vacation, and for some reason a Medium was ordered for me and a Large for Brent. WTH? I'm 5.2 and 114 pounds? I am NOT a medium! I run over 100 frickin' miles a month? How is that Medium?? And how is Brent large?? Anyway, they gave me hell about trying to swap it for a small, and I'm not even sure how many people asked me why I ordered a medium. I DIDN'T YOU FREAKS, give me a small! And as a red head I do NOT wear red so I wasn't happy about this whole retarded event anyway. After some goofy speeches it was grub time. Turkey, dressing, mac & cheese, mashed potatoes and rolls LITERALLY dripping in butter. Yuk. Starch, carbs & fat. Not even a salad for a healthy option. I mostly picked at some turkey, which was good. To top it off the food was catered by the sister of a woman I literally can not stand, if there was an award for world championship fakest person ever she'd win. So I made sure she heard us say the food wasn't that good at least a couple of times. Why don't they give us some healthy options?? Do they want us all to have heart attacks?

Thursday night was gym night. I'm thinking about trying out a mini/sprint triathlon this summer so I rode the stationary bike 25 minutes and then ran on the treadmill for 20 minutes. After riding the bike (and esp Fri morning) I felt like I'd been to RunnerSusan's butt camp! I don't know if it was the totally uncomfortable seat or the workout, but I like to think I somehow slimmed my butt/thighs!

Friday night called for an emergency visit to the local running store we prefer, Fleet Feet. We've checked all 3 local running stores out and I think FF is the best. The staff is awesome and the selection is great. It's a very comfortable & homey shopping experience. We've spent enough money there that the staff is starting to know us, which is always nice. So, it seems I have about 12 toes now. I've always had a tendency to blister, but with the increased mileage lately and the change to the Pearls it's gotten worse. I never really rested after last week's half, so my feet never got a chance to deflate. My left big toe had such a large blister on the side that we had to go and see what options they might suggest. Needless to say my feet grossed them out. They said I wasn't the worst that they had seen, but I was top 5. Woohoo!! I'm a mid-heel overpronator, and I tend to do so more with my left foot which is leading to some sliding in my shoe. The Pearls have a wider toe box, which is making it worse. They hooked me up with some orthotics & thicker synthetic socks. We also bought some Clif Shot Blocks and JB sports beans, and Brent got some new clothes. And they told me to pop the blister or I'd never survive today's 21 mile run. Ugh. After we carb loaded we came back and I popped it. It wasn't really that bad. I did take some pics but I probably won't post them.

So, today we did 21 miles. I finished in 3.40, averaging just a hair over 10.30 which is exactly where I want to be. I'll post more about it tomorrow, I'm beat and it's time to sleep!!

18 Comments:

At 3:05 AM, Blogger CJ said...

Sounds like you and I are about the same size - definitely not Medium! I can relate to that - most t-shirts that come as part of the entry fee are always too big for me.

You'll really enjoy doing a mini-tri - its so satisfying when you finish a tri!

Now to answer a couple of your questions.....
You wanted to know what an ankle niggle was - its just an ache/pain that won't go away which is exactly what is happening with my ankle at the moment.

I will try to get photos of the parrots and kangaroos - parrots tend to fly away too quickly, and kangaroos are proving to be very elusive at the moment - probably because we have had quite a bit of rain so there is plenty of grass for them. This means they don't have to come close to houses or people.

 
At 6:49 AM, Blogger Danny said...

21 miles!?! uh, didn't you run a half marathon last week?

wow...

 
At 8:03 AM, Blogger ida said...

I echo Danny.
A half followed by 21 miles? In the cold?!

Rockstar, you!

 
At 1:29 PM, Blogger David said...

21 long miles a week after a half tops me. You are rock star material. And thank you for keeping your blister photo to yourself.
An oversized red t-shirt on a redhead - I can understand your scroogey attitude; but think how much better you look in it than the obese non-athletic types look in their tents.

 
At 3:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Im at Fleet Feet Nashville all the time also. In fact I'm swinging by there this week to get a fresh pair of shoes. Good job on the long run! From Steve at ChristianRunner.com

 
At 6:11 PM, Blogger onepinkfuzzy said...

I love the FleetFeet here in Tucson; always the best, even though they're the farthest away...

**sympathetic sounds** re: holiday dinner, yuck!

Good job on your 21-run following that fast HM! I haven't broken the 15.5-mile mark yet, hopefully will do soon - needs to be soon! And to answer your question, Pemberton 50k is on Feb. 4, one week after your marathon!

 
At 6:16 PM, Blogger RedheadFangirl said...

That's great that you made the top five ugly feet list. Maybe because your feet were swollen your work thought you'd need a medium T shirt!

I do wear red, but never ever yellow- get the jaundiced effect. I like the green-blue-brown fall colors.

 
At 6:50 PM, Blogger Tammy said...

What is it with those events and terribly toxic food?? And then, if you DARE to complain... you're a whiner... and have "very unusual eating habits" as my step-monster would say. WTF?

Way to go on the 21!!! That's AWE-some! I'm only doing 18 as my longest before my marathon... only 4 more weeks...eek!

 
At 8:58 PM, Blogger lainb said...

21 miles - way to go superstar!

I hate ordering t-shirts. depending on the make/brand, I can be anywhere from an extra-small to a medium. And they never seem to shrink in the wash either.

 
At 4:30 AM, Blogger BuckeyeRunner said...

Great job on the 21! I can't believe your marathon is next month already!!

 
At 4:30 AM, Blogger BuckeyeRunner said...

Oh, and I like your new banner!

 
At 6:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great job on the 21 miles yesterday!

I have the worst luck when it comes to T-shirt sizes. Every time I order a Medium, it's way too tight. So the next time I'll order a Large and it'll be friggin' huge. Either the T-shirt gods love mocking me or I have the most unique body size ever.

 
At 6:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great job on the 21 miles yesterday!

I have the worst luck when it comes to T-shirt sizes. Every time I order a Medium, it's way too tight. So the next time I'll order a Large and it'll be friggin' huge. Either the T-shirt gods love mocking me or I have the most unique body size ever.

 
At 10:52 AM, Blogger Tiggs said...

did you eat the sports beans???

blech!

 
At 12:10 PM, Blogger E-Speed said...

Awesome job on the 21! Uggh on the feet. I feel your pain. Way to tough it out.

Did you like the clifshot blocks? Marshall always posts good thinsg abou them. Maybe I should try them out.

 
At 2:46 PM, Blogger Noames said...

I so feel you on the blisters--I pretty much always have blisters on my instep and on at least a few toes. They usually don't bother me, but every once i a while... Eesh.

Good job on the 21 mile run!

Oh, and I'll be heading to Miami on the Thursday, and staying until Monday. I'll be staying with family in Hollywood, which is about a half hour north.

 
At 5:26 PM, Blogger Scott Dunlap said...

Awesome run.

Hey, when can we see more pics of Dazer? ;-)

SD

 
At 6:02 PM, Blogger Dawn - Pink Chick Tris said...

Congrats on the 21 miler.

As for the lunch thingy, I hate when there are no healthy options. Don't people get it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home