Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Thursday is the new Friday

Hey guys! It is flippin' cold here tonight. We ran a little after work tonight and the temp was a very crisp 37. Blah! I think I could deal with 37 better if there was pretty snow on the ground. We went over to the hospital to do laps around their 1 mile track so we could calibrate Brent's watch. He just got a new battery and with Saturday's race we wanted to make sure it was as accurate as possible. We're going to have to order some warmer running gear, it takes me about 2 miles to get warm, and just when I'm about to be finished I feel comfy. I'd die without my running gloves and headwrap - they rock!! Really, I just need a better pair of running tights, mine are pretty pansy and I naturally have a cold butt to begin with. Tonight I did 4 miles, averaging around 9.12/mile. I felt like I was going around 10, so I was pretty surprised by my times. The cold air made my legs feel like molasses, and I had pretty much no feeling in my legs for the first mile. I'm feeling really ready for the half on Saturday, I think it should be a lot of fun. For a course map, click here. I'm not sure how many did the race last year, but they've sent several emails out today about the expo, start/finish lines, and letting us know they will have pace organized starting corrals (ALWAYS a good idea). I love the excitement right before a big race, when thousands of people are lined up with all their nervous energy! It's so addictive. Brent's never been in such a large race before, so I hope he can really enjoy all those feelings. I think the excitement of the CMM in April, lining up with 17,000 other runners, along with the thousands of spectators all along the way is one thing that got me so hooked on running.

So, one more day of work and then we leave Friday morning. We're staying downtown within walking distance of the start and finish. Today at work Brent got his 5 yr service award. His supervisor made some strange comments that very few of us could hear (something about him leading the 'bad boy' image in the graphic design department) but he did mention he was a runner (which I totally missed because everyone around me was talking). But we got some cool luggage.

Cya!!!

Rachel

P.S. the finale of the biggest loser was awesome! They have lost some SERIOUS weight, I'm so glad Matt won!

8 Comments:

At 8:20 PM, Blogger RedheadFangirl said...

ha ha you have a cold butt anyway! redheads get the scalp burn in the summer and the frozen feet in winter! You 2 will rock that half M.

 
At 8:34 PM, Blogger ShoreTurtle said...

The course map is cool. I appreciate a good race web site. I checked last years results and there were 3009 participants in last year's half M. I wouldn't know what to do! Hey y'all isn't it supposed to be warmer down south? Maybe you two should come back for a visit. It's a heat wave up here. Good luck this weekend.

 
At 11:58 PM, Blogger Kim said...

Good luck this weekend!!!!

 
At 1:12 AM, Blogger CJ said...

Good luck for this weekend Rae and brent - have fun, enjoy the race. PBs will be a plus!

 
At 6:54 AM, Blogger onepinkfuzzy said...

Looks like a sweet run! I love how they have landmarks along the way - you guys should have a blast. Good luck!

 
At 9:06 AM, Blogger Tammy said...

I'm having a hard time running in the cold, too... in fact, I should be out there right now (soon). Maybe we should ALL go stay w/shorturtle and his heat wave.

Good luck on the race!!

 
At 6:28 PM, Blogger BuckeyeRunner said...

Good luck you two!! I hope you have an great race, and an awesome time at your half. I'll be thinking of you when I am running my 5k on Saturday.
Looking forward to your race report!

 
At 9:05 PM, Blogger Johnny Lyons said...

Angie & I wear running shorts over the tights. If you're not already doing that, the liners feel a little weird at first, but the warmth is worth it. You two have fun at your race! I wish I could say I envy you, but I feel anxious in big crowds. That's why I prefer the smaller trail races, just the mountain boy in me I guess :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home