Saturday, September 10, 2005

Hide and Seek

Happy Saturday everyone! Hope all your races and long runs went well. We've had a great weekend so far and are getting rested for an 11-miler tomorrow afternoon.

Last night we went out with our friends P & S. We went to OmiKashi, a Japanese hibachi grill/sushi bar in the Cool Springs/Brentwood area. It was really good, and SO much better than the sad hibachi grill in Opry Mills. (Our hibachi experience at OM involved a chef who dropped everything and even hit a person with a misthrown spatula!!). Anyway, the food was good and so was the company. Afterwards he thought about watching a movie but decided we're just too old for the 10 o'clock movie. On our way back to P's house we saw 2 sets of spotlights circling the Nashville sky. When Batman didn't appear we decided to track down the source of the lights. We headed back towards Brentwood, towards the first set of lights. We had seen signs for a Greek festival, so we were hoping to end up there and enjoy some yummy baklava and Greek festivities. After some cat & mouse we found one set of lights - they were at Brentwood high school where they were having a telethon to benefit Hurricane Katrina victims. (Ok, we couldn't figure out why you would have spotlights for a TELethon either, so we were pretty disappointed.) The second set of lights was near, but proved to be more elusive. We circled the Brentwood area for a while and once we got close to the lights we decided they were probably coming from the other end of the Brentwood High campus. Bummer. So, we decided to try to find the Greek Festival. After driving around for a while looking for the signs we were hot on its trail. Success! We found it around 9:30, the festival ended at 9. But we did get to see the really cool, very Greek, church hosting the festival and the empty tents. It looked like it would have been a lot of fun. So, we headed back to P’s house and hung out for a while before heading home.

Last week was a really long week (work-wise) so we were both zonked and slept like rocks. I had no intentions of getting up early for a run, but I did plan to run 5 miles this morning. Brent decided to join me on my weekly Sat "a.m." run that I like to refer to as Rachel's Inferno. As hot as these runs are I do think running in the heat has helped me in some of the hotter 5Ks. I love my new Forerunner! I downloaded some software for it tonight and imported this morning's run and Thurs night's run. It has all the cool graphs and things I've seen on so many people's blogs. Very cool. I need to come up with a snappy name for it, like Athena or something. Anyway, it was hot as hell and it was a hard run. The first 3miless weren't so bad, the last two were pretty tough. I was really glad I was smart enough to wear my hat this time, that really helped keep me cool. I also ended up with a nice runner's tan, with a cute T-back impression on my back! Oh well, I guess it's better than a farmer's tan! Brent wore my old Nike watch and the heart rate monitor. Around 3 miles his HR spiked to 179!! That was also when he slowed it down a bit!

Afterwards we had lunch at Blue Coast Burrito, one of our favorite places to eat. It's like a Chipotle's, Moe's, Baja Fresh, etc etc. Basically you build your own California style burrito. After a good run it's a toss-up between Blue Coast and pizza for us. It's gotta be pizza after a good long run, and on Saturday's it's usually burritos! They're actually building a BCB about 2 miles from our house right now, so we're pretty excited about that. After playing with puppies at the pet store we came home and have been vegging. OurTiVoo messed up an episode of Lost, so we borrowed a friend's DVD to finish watching the season. I think we may be the only people who didn't watch it this past year!! I'm pretty excited about the new shows starting soon, especially the Biggest Loser (which starts in just a couple of days!) That show is so inspirational and the guy trainer (Bob) is from Nashville!

Anyway, that's about it for today. We're watching Saturday Night Live right now and it's the episode where Ashlee Simpson screwed up and had the wrong track play and she ended up doing the hoe-down. Hilarious!!! That one's going to be a classic..... About the only episode of SNL worth seeing from last season! I miss the days when Mike Myers, Adam Sandler, and other people who were remotely funny were on there!

Cya!

Rachel

Exercise:
Thurs - 1 mile am walk with Pippin, 20 minutes stretching/toning (focus:butt), 3.5 mile run
Fri - 1 mile am walk with Pippin
Sat - 5 mile run

2 Comments:

At 8:15 AM, Blogger lainb said...

LOL! That spotlight story is too funny! You were like kids trying to chase down the ice cream truck. Bummer there was no baklava waiting for you though.

In my opinion, you can't be considered a true runner until you have a runner's tan. j/k (sort of.) When I was in the hard-core stage of my "running career", I had the WORST runner's tan. Needless to say, wearing a swim suit was quite embarrassing. You actually looked like I was wearing a white t-shirt and white shorts! Hahaha

I love love love California-style burritos. Of course, I have a weakness for Mexican food in general.

"Biggest Loser"...that's another show I need to add to my TV lineup this fall. I've only caught 1 or 2 episodes in the past. I want to watch a season from start to finish this time. I'll have to look up the day/time it's on.

 
At 3:19 PM, Blogger D said...

I have that lovely runner's tan. Yesterday I wore a spagetti strapped tank and I am sure that is a fashion no no with my racer back tan lines! Oh well....

I traded up from the Forerunner 201 (which I loved but got sick of wearing that on one hand and the Polar on the other) to the Forerunner 301. I love it. Even though I have had the Forerunner 201 since around Feb - I hadn't gotten around to downloading the software...I'm doing that today (for the 301). Thanks for the welcome note on my blog! I am obviously new at this but am intrigued by all of the other runners that are as addicted to the sport as I am!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home