Friday, September 09, 2005

Christmas in September

Yippee! It’s Christmas in September because my brand new Forerunner 201 came in yesterday’s mail! FINALLY! I won’t even go into the battle I went through with the guy on Ebay to get it here because none of that even matters now. Waiting for it to charge last night almost killed me. We kept checking on it about every 5 minutes. I had a Nike CV10 but it really drove me nuts. You’re only supposed to need to calibrate it when the battery on the watch dies, but it really didn’t work like that. It wasn’t flexible enough to change when my pace changed, and it always underestimated my mileage. A 3 mile run was coming out at about 2.75. That’s a huge difference when you start packing some miles on! Since Brent gets all my running hand-me-downs the CV10 is now his. We drove over to the hospital (it’s only 1.1 miles-we normally run there but it was a little later and darker so we decided to drive instead) to test the Forerunner out and re-calibrate the CV10 to his stride. After some confusion we finally got everything situated and I LOVE the new Forerunner! It’s going to be so much easier keeping the Nike in sync using the two of them together. We ran the track 3 times and at the end Brent’s watch said 3.1? to my 3. That’s not bad, and as he pointed out to me he ran on the outside of the track. I haven’t totally figured out all the features, but it was pretty cool having my pace, distance and time in large print for the blind on my wrist. We downloaded the software onto our computer but didn’t have a chance to really hook the watch up and download all the stats and stuff from the run. But you better believe we will this weekend!

Well, I’m at work so I guess (in theory) I should get back at it. I’ll blog more later…. No races this weekend but we do plan to run 11 miles on Sunday (the 11th!) Isn’t it weird that Sunday is September 11th? With all of the relief efforts and news stories on Katrina I haven’t heard anyone mention this weekend being the anniversary of September 11th. It seems like that was a million years ago……
Good luck to everyone on their long runs and races this weekend!

2 Comments:

At 1:11 PM, Blogger ShoreTurtle said...

That's great that you got an early Christmas present! Have you worn it to work yet? Being the nerd that I am--the day after I got my Polar wristwatch this Spring, I wore it to work--I wanted to play with the features. I did have enough sense not to wear the footpod with dress shoes. I have been tempted to wear the heart rate monitor at work to see how well I manage a stressful day, but that would probably be going to far. Good luck with the new toy!

 
At 5:43 PM, Blogger a.maria said...

OMG i'm obsessive about my forerunner. you'll love it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home