Monday, August 25, 2008

Missing Ingrediants

Hey everyone! I hope you all had great weekends and what not. And isn't it about time the Olympics are over? Not that anything new is really on TV from what I can see, but it will be nice to see the Office in a few weeks and of course the new Christian Slater show since it's been WAY too long since he's been in anything! (I had my room PLASTERED with pics of him growing up. I don't care if the show is dumb, I'll be watching! Most likely alone!)

So what did you think of the men's marathon? It's not that I am disappointed in the Americans, but they seriously didn't even look tired at the end. They just looked to be cruising. And it's not that they finished low in the stats, but I would've liked to see them a little more stressed at the finished. I loved the article about Ryan Hall in RW, so I just really wanted to see him in the top 3.

I had a nice little slow run, or "jaunt" as I refer to them, Thursday. This kid thinks pressing on my bladder at all times of the day and night is a blast, so sometimes I have to walk for a sec or slow down even more until kid finds a new spot, but I've learned it usually passes pretty quickly. I've also entered the cotton phase of running shorts, which is a new low for me. I can't really justify in spending $40 a pair for maternity running pants, so my cotton elastic "work in the yard" shorts will have to do. And I'm down to two larger running tops before I start raiding Brent's drawers and (serious gasp) start wearing large cotton Tshirts to work out in. The things we will do for our kids..... Thank God running socks and shoes will always fit!

I'm also entering that stage where confusion is a constant companion. The other day I was looking in the fridge for Kleenex and I've found my stamps and address book in the WRONG drawer lately. And there's the car tag renewal I threw away the other day, instead of the trash. Twice this weekend I FINALLY figured out what I was hungry for - only to be missing one ingredient from each recipe!!! I LOVES me some fruit tea, and instead of shelling out $6 a gallon from the cafe in our neighborhood I finally decided to try the recipe my SIL uses. Only to discover I had no frozen lemonade, and apparently there is no substitute I could find on the 'net (which is goofy since I have powdered lemonade, lemon juice and REAL lemons in my kitchen!!!!). On some other recipe calling for frozen lemonade someone said they substituted limeade for a slightly different flavor, and for some BIZARRE reason I did have that, so I gave it a whirl. It did give it a slightly different kick, but it's still really good (I also only used 12 ounces pineapple juice and a slightly larger can of orange juice.) Then I wanted to make chicken enchilada soup (like Chili's) only to discover that recipe calls for a type of corn flour I never even knew existed. I have flour, wheat flour, rye flour, bread flour, baking flour, cornmeal, polenta, corn starch and grits but apparently nothing can sub for this elusive Mexican corn flour. So that kind of sums me up right now, just missing a thing or two.

And WOW my stomach looks enormous right now. I'm thinking before long I won't even be able to see the screen. We did order Chinese delivery tonight, so maybe it's just that my stomach is puffed up with fried rice! We got rain today for literally the first time all month - and we SO needed it (thanks Hurricane thing!) My garden has been awesome all summer, we have tomatoes coming out of our ears and we dug our first sweet potatoes this weekend, but it is starting to suffer. Anyway, this was the first time we've tried delivery from this place and it was SO good! Their crab rangoons were to DIE for! They were fast and the food was good, and it was nice not to have to go pick up food.

Ok, time to end the ramble. There's really not a lot to say about last weekend. We had family work day Saturday during which my dad fell through one of the plywood temp steps and then nearly fainted, so that was exciting! We also ran into some peeps from college we hadn't seen in a year, and I figured I would "test" them and see if I looked pregnant or not by not saying anything, and seeing if they noticed. In all fairness, this was after church yesterday and the shirt I was wearing is so "poofy" that it's hard to tell, but my buggy was FULL of cute baby clothes on clearance at Target, so that gave it away almost more than looking at me. I'm still in that "fun" stage where people wonder and just ask other people instead of embarrassing themselves. (That happened last week at work - a coworker wasn't sure so she asked someone else, HA!).

Alrighty, three weeks from today we find out Brent Jr or Rachel Jr, woo hoo! And we'll be past the half way point, the first half marathon of baby growing will be over!

OH, just one last thing (seriously - note the lack of organization here!). When my parents were here last weekend they were talking about the Olympics and said they had seen the women's marathon the weekend before. Then my mom asked me if that's how far I had run - that she and dad had talked about it and decided that surely I would never run 26 miles because that is just WAY too far. I pretty much had to convince her that YES, I had run that far - four times in fact (I didn't even go into all the training runs of nearly that distance). I explained I don't run it nearly as fast as those women, but that yup, that's what I've done before.

Ok, good night for real!

4 Comments:

At 6:23 AM, Blogger Jack said...

Sounds like a normal pregnancy to me, stay cool, you doing good so far.

How's Brent, you know expectant father's have it rough. I mean with trying to figure out the mood swings of a pregnant wife and all ;-)

 
At 2:12 PM, Blogger Anne said...

Hate to say it, but most women do go up a size in shoes during the final stage of pregnancy. All that extra weight makes your foot wider. They go back to normal almost immediately afterward though.

I've done the limeade substitute and kinda liked it too.

 
At 9:31 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I dunno if this will apply to you, but my wife's foot was a (nightmare to shop for) size 5. During the pregnancy, she could make a 6 work. And now, she's a 5.5... just saying...

also, i am signed up for the Flying Monkey! I am looking forward to it! I'll have to dig into your archives for your race report!

 
At 11:52 AM, Blogger Darrell said...

Just why is it that "normal" folk have such a hard time understanding the definition of a marathon - 26.2 miles every one, every time. It seems so simple to "us"!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home