Tuesday, April 22, 2008

4-a-day

Woo hoo! I got my first 4-a-day workout in today! Sweet!

I did my usual lunch time workout, today I ran from the Y (thank God it's open again and there's no more changing in the work bathroom) and headed towards Centennial Park. I pretty much have 35 minutes to workout at lunch, so I made it right to the park before I needed to turn around. I hit several lights and had to wait, which is pretty irritating, but I really need some good acclimation to heat and hills so I certainly achieved that today! I think our high was around 80 today, and I ended up pouring sweat and with a beet red face by the time I was finished. And I had a homeless guy tell me I was doing great and to keep it up, so what else do you need??

While the Y was closed for the asbestos removal a coworker and I started walking a mile in the afternoons at work as part of a "non-smoking" break. Even now that the gym is back open we've kept it up. We usually spend that same amount time on a gossip break every day anyway, so we might as well be moving. Our office is very workout friendly. Besides being next door to the gym and offering great discounts, our "complex" has a map on several walls showing you various paths to take to walk a mile, and how many laps you would need to do. Tons of office ladies don their sneaks every morning & afternoon and burn a few calories. So, workout #2.

After dinner we've started taking Pippin for at least a mile walk. And he's come to expect it. The whining, crying, and looking at the door once our forks are down pretty much has clued us in that he's onto us. And he deserves to get out every day, too. Tonight we walked over to Shelby Park and did a loop of the tennis courts and enjoyed the gorgeous spring night. Workout #3.

Brent got his bike all dusted off last weekend while I did my 5.5 miler, and I've had bike jealousy ever since. We intended to ride Sunday but got too busy in the yard. And our plan is to bike around the CMM course this Saturday cheering for the runners and our friends, so Brent told me he wasn't about to let me "relearn" riding on race day, so once we got back from Pippin's walk we went for a bike ride. (We're early work birds - Brent leaves for work around 6:45 and I leave at 7, I'm home at 5 and he's home around 5:30.....tonight I made a quick dinner of spinach and artichoke ravioli, so we were ready to hit the streets at 6:15. I love short commutes. I love not working long hours.) Once I got my gears all straightened back out I totally remembered why I love riding!! So.much.easier.than.running. I just love to coast and feel the breeze. We rode around for about 20 minutes before it started to get dark. I can't wait to ride more!!!!

And that, my friends, is how you fit in 8 hours of work and 4 workouts into one day. With time to spare. Happy Earth Day!!

6 Comments:

At 11:18 PM, Blogger Jack said...

Wow, you sure are creative with your workouts. I try to take a 2-3 mile walk during lunch with a coworker a couple times a week. We started bringing our lunch and munching on the way.

 
At 4:19 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

I'll be looking for you guys on bikes! :)

 
At 5:04 PM, Blogger Rich said...

Hi - just popped in real quick to see what you guys were up to. I've been stuck inside the completely enclosed Opryland Hotel all day - so I resolved Tue AM and Wed AM to go run outside - it's so cool in the morning! All I was able to do was run here in and around Opryland.

Anyway, another planned dinner tonight. I'm about to pass out!

 
At 8:06 PM, Blogger MNFirefly said...

Nice workout!

 
At 9:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! Way to make the rest of us feel like slackers! Just kidding. Nice job on all the workouts.
Have fun on Saturday! I hope to see the runners around the neighborhood myself - maybe we'll run into each other!

 
At 3:50 PM, Blogger Michele said...

Hope to see y'all tomorrow.

great job on all those workouts. great use of time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home