Friday, November 30, 2007

Lessons from the Couch

I'm feeling better today - nearly human in fact, following 48 hours of feeling completely unhuman. Last night I actually slept pretty well but couldn't breathe after about 5:30 so I sadly watched old episodes of Family Matters and Saved by the Bell:The College Years which do NOT get better with age. At all. With that said, here are the lessons I've learned while being an American Couch Potato for the better part of the week:

1) Oprah, who was born and lived in the South for many years - including here in Nashville where her career started, does one HORRIBLE Southern accent. Unless you've not been in the world then you know her Fave Things show was in Macon, Ga last week and she did a follow-up show this week. Basically during both episodes she tried to talk like a Southerner and we all know that woman can't act. In a lot of ways I find it pretty friggin' offensive. I'm not walking around trying to talk like her. Most of the time when people try to imitate the way we talk down here they're doing it to make fun of us, so the lesson for the day: leave us alone or we just may get our coon dog after you.

2)Watching hours and hours of Racheal Ray and Oprah from TiVo is exhausting. Possibly more so than strep throat.

3)I have the best husband, ever. He ended up going to the doc yesterday because he wasn't feeling so hot himself and got some anti-biotics as preventive measure. He came home a bit early with arms full of flowers, food and all MY fave things and has been taking care of me non-stop. He even made me a massive breakfast this morning.

4)An insane number of parents eat lunch with their kids everyday! We're right across the street from a K-4 school and it's nonstop parents coming and going all day long. And garbage trucks. Tons of garbage trucks go by.

5)Chicken fried rice is the best food when you're sick and Sprite is the best beverage, hands down! And somehow I've managed to lose 3 pounds, sweet!

6) There is a complete and total lack of anything good on TV, at any time of day, but especially during the day!!! I've watched some seriously horrible TV the last few days. I'm also convinced that old reruns of friends are playing on some station at any moment of any given day.

Ok, I think it's time to dig up some soup or something for lunch! Have a great weekend and good luck to everyone running Memphis!!! Too bad we can't be there this year, I was looking forward to some Pancho's cheese dip post race since I can't find anywhere to buy it here anymore. =( Have a great weekend everyone!

8 Comments:

At 12:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oprah was nominated for an academy award for her performance in The Color Purple. So she can act. But you're right, her accent was pretty fake-sounding.

 
At 2:50 PM, Blogger brent said...

get well soon! thanks for the rice tips, i'm going to give it another shot later this weekend.

 
At 2:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you are feeling better!

 
At 3:35 PM, Blogger Michele said...

I love Poncho's cheese dip as well as the "green slime". I get it to bring home everytime I go to Memphis.

 
At 7:02 PM, Blogger MNFirefly said...

I am glad that you are starting to feel better.

 
At 10:29 PM, Blogger Cliff said...

Where do i find a guy like that ;D

 
At 7:37 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

I'm not a fan of "cheery" Rachel Ray. Cheerful people don't set right with me when I'm home sick! :)

 
At 4:41 PM, Blogger Anne said...

There's a lot about Oprah that's fake these days, including the claim that these are her favorite things and not just glorified product endorsements. After all *she* doesn't give them away, the companies do!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home