Sunday, November 18, 2007

Marathon Sunday

Oh, I hurt. It's been another insane weekend for us consisting of working well into the night by worklights getting the fence conquered. About an hour ago we drilled the final screw in, praise the Lord!!!! And thank goodness we have neighbors who have been through plenty of their own remodels in this rehab neighborhood and who really don't seem to care or complain when we're outside drilling, hammering and pouring concrete into the wee hours!

Friday night and all Saturday were full of fence and gate building, and Brent's parents were able to come back again and help out. His mom and I got a fresh coat of paint on most of our front picket fence before I ran out of paint! After they left we made another run to Home Depot and worked into the night.

But this morning was all about volunteering at the Flying Monkey Marathon. I really am a little sad I didn't run it this year, but we certainly wanted to help out. And once again it was AWESOME. I stayed up late to make choc chip cookies from scratch, and you would have been AMAZED by all the homemade goodies that were brought! The food table was literally not large enough - pies were stacked three and four deep and you could have eaten for days. Those are things that make this home grown Tennessee marathon so incredibly special. Anyway, we were the second water stop so we saw runners at mile 2, 13, and 24 as they twisted and curved amongst the three way park road intersection we were at. It was AWESOME. It was a long day as we were there from about 6:15, but it was totally worth it.

I'll have a full volunteer report later with pictures (shocking, right??) but for now I am propping my feet up with some well earned Papa Johns pizza. I just wanted to pop in and congratulate all my fellow new Monkeys! That's one medal you can't wing or pull out of your ass, you earn it. And volunteering was great - literally I couldn't sleep last night I was so nervous about it, but I plan to do a lot more race volunteering in the future because it was just so fun!

Have a great week ya'll!!!!

5 Comments:

At 7:33 PM, Blogger Afternoon Tea With Oranges said...

Good for you for volunteering! I would love to do the Flying Monkey someday. Glad you guys got the fence finished...you make me tired just talking about it!

 
At 10:32 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I had wanted to do the Monkey this year... maybe next year I can run it

 
At 4:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG. You are seriously the nicest person ever. You painted a fence, made cookies, and volunteered. Plus, the race sounds like lots of fun.

 
At 5:32 PM, Blogger David said...

I can't believe you stayed up all night to bake cookies after doing all the fence and gate work.

I keep telling myself to go volunteer for a race. I either need a fence to build or an injury to baby.

 
At 5:33 PM, Blogger Rich said...

Wow! New fence and paint job too! That was a huge job! Can't wait for the final pics!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home