Monday, November 05, 2007

Mags, Rolls or Fluids?

Ok bike people. I'd like to get a trainer so I can get some bike exercise this winter on weeknights now that's it's dark before I even get home. My primary goal is to burn some calories on the bike - so should I go with magnetic, fluid or rollers? I was pretty set on fluid until I started reading some reviews and a lot of people recommended rollers for people looking for a good workout. And I'm saying the look of the rollers is pretty freaking intimidating - I can see myself absolutely breaking my neck on that thing, maybe. So, if you have a trainer what do you recommend and why??

I hate Daylight Stupid Time. It's dark now at 4:45. Ugh. When I left today it was dark but also stormy. Lightning was all around and by the time I got home it was a full fledged severe thunderstorm. Not good. Of course Pippin was freaking out as I tried to get him outside and then the tornado sirens started at the school across the street. Really not good. We got inside and I checked on Brent, who was still stuck on the interstate pretty far from home in a hail storm. I called our swim coach and told her Brent wouldn't make it in time, and she told me the pool was closed due to the lightning anyway (not sure why....maybe all the windows??) and we would probably have had to cancel anyway. So, our swim finale was postponed 'til later this week, which was fine. The time change has me all "winter depressed" and I needed to sort through our insurance packets tonight anyway and sort out of insurance choices for next year. Another strong storm came through around the time our class would have ended, so moving to later this week was probably a great thing.

In workout related weirdness, they had a DJ at the Y today "spinning tunes" in the cardio/weight section. For some reason it just kept cracking me up while I was working out today. He played good music but not good workout music. Once it was swing, then it was Superstitious (Stevie Wonder) and although it made me dance it wasn't the right music for me to run to. They also had sandwiches and chips for us. You just never know what excitement is waiting at the gym. And since you get "reward points" every time you go I am RACKING UP the points. It won't be long before I have enough points for the awesome sleeping bag I have my eye on.

Alrighty, I am slleeeeepy today! We put our electric blanket back on our bed a couple of weeks ago and I am in hog heaven! I crank that puppy up every night and just stretch out like a lizard on a rock in the desert.

Have a great night!

8 Comments:

At 10:24 PM, Blogger Jack said...

Dito on the time change blahs, I've had to run in the dark twice already.

 
At 7:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry can't help w/ the bike stuff.

but, I'm with you I felt like I was in a coma all day yesterday because of the time change.

 
At 8:02 AM, Blogger E-Speed said...

I broke out the heater blanket this weekend for a Saturday and Sunday nap and it was divine!

 
At 8:16 AM, Blogger Afternoon Tea With Oranges said...

I have the cycle-ops fluid 2 trainer, and I like it. But then again I don't have anything else to compare it too, really. I think fluid is supposed to be a little bit quieter...and honestly if you're doing Spinerval workouts where you need to hear the t.v., I wouldn't want my trainer to be any louder than it already is. I've seen people working out on rollers at the bike shop before and I am OUT on that.

 
At 8:34 AM, Blogger Michele said...

I have a fluid trainer too because that is what someone told me to get when I was in the market. I like it just fine.
I did get one that has a computer on it and never use that because my bike computer tells me all the same stuff.

 
At 1:21 PM, Blogger MNFirefly said...

I need a good electric blanket. Our apartment has been very crappy when it comes to keeping people warm.

As of the bike stuff, I have no expertise that area.

 
At 6:36 PM, Blogger David said...

I like Daylight Stupid Time only because I can see where I am running in the morning. The afternoon darkness is a bummer though.

 
At 12:46 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

Just bought a Kurt Kinetic and I'd gotten recommendations on either that or the CycleOps Trainer. I've put the trainer together and now I'm just trying to figure out how to install bike ON trainer.

But so far, I like it, it's not too overwhelming looking and doesn't take up a ton of space.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home