Saturday, October 13, 2007

Oh well....

So, it wasn't meant for me to break 24 today, or even 25 for that matter. My official time was 25:01, which I think is the worst 5K time I've had in about a year and a half. I just couldn't get in the groove from the start and when I hit Mile 1 around 8 minutes I knew it wasn't going to happen so I backed off because I just felt b-a-d. The bad where I physically had to put my hand over my mouth at the finish not to puke, the bad where I almost puked during my favorite part of this race (my fave part of ANY race) where we run through the Farmers Market building - the mix of ethnic smells being grilled up in there today was not my friend. I'm not sure why, but it just wasn't my day. But I did have an absolute blast this morning, enjoying my fave course of the year in a slightly slower fashion, enjoying the Oktoberfest festivities afterwards, and celebrating with our friend who "did the damn thing" and won overall male and the enormous beer stein that goes with it. He did promise me if he wins next year I can have the stein. I will hold him to that. =)

Anyway, not the finishing time I wanted - but who cares!! 3rd fastest in my AG was freakin' 22:42, so I was nowhere near placing in the F30-34 today anyway. All in all, I had a 100% blast at my first race in my new division, and I have to say I am really happy that I am happy with today's outcome. The 29 year old me would've been in tears sulking and immediately gone home without staying for the awards, the 30 year old me bought some cookies at a booth and enjoyed a beautiful day with her beautiful husband at a beautiful festival where you get a beer just for finishing. What more do I need??? Being 30 rocks.

We took loads of fun pics from the festival and the Southern Festival of Books that we went to afterward so I'll upload those later. For now it's time to get my stinky self in the shower!!!

7 Comments:

At 1:48 PM, Blogger Darrell said...

Not every race has to be about the time. (easy for me to say) Glad you enjoyed yourself. Did you say cookies? yum!

 
At 3:57 PM, Blogger MNFirefly said...

Oh DARN, Rae. That sucks! I am sorry for crappy run today. I hope you had some German beer at least.

 
At 7:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great race! I'm glad you enjoyed it and being in your new age category!
BTW, my husband and I are going to be in your neck of the woods - if you have any suggestions of what we should do in the little free time we have there I would love a suggestion if you have a moment. Thanks.

 
At 9:17 PM, Blogger Iron Jayhawk said...

Glad to see that 30 is treating you so well. Nothing beats beer and cookies after a run...even if it is a pinch slower than anticipated.

 
At 5:23 PM, Blogger David said...

I am proud of your new-found maturity (ha!). Enjoy every day. We only have so many and that day sounded like an absolute joy.

 
At 2:23 PM, Blogger Afternoon Tea With Oranges said...

You can't PR every time...even though it sucks when you just have a bad day like that. Way to take it in stride and enjoy the day with Brent, though...sounds like you guys had a blast!

 
At 2:26 AM, Blogger Jack said...

Third fastest in your age group sounds pretty awesome in my book. Sounds like a fun race to participate in.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home