Friday, September 28, 2007

On the Verge

Wow. So here I sit, just a short 2 full days from the end of an era. Or a decade. The Big 3-0. Ever since turning 29 it's like its just been "there". How old are you? 29. 30-1. Almost 30. Why is it that 1 year, 1 day, can just sound infinitely older than the day before? It's so odd. When I was closer to 29 than 30 I didn't have any issues with getting older, in fact it sounded awesome. To be 30. To be more mature than a twenty-something. I've always looked young for my age and when I was fresh meat straight out of college I'd get lots of clients questioning my age, "was I really old enough to work"? I mean, WTF, why would I work if I didn't have to??? And certainly not in public accounting! So, they got the hell audited out of them and they quit asking. And then you don't get that question anymore, and suddenly you realize you no longer have to prove that you are a smart cookie because a)you quite possibly have become one or b)you're at least old enough looking that people think you've been out there long enough to actually have some experience, and possibly a 401(k). And I don't exactly know when that switch flipped but then one day you are no longer the youngest person in the office, and in fact there are several people younger than you, and you wonder "Did I sound that naive when I was 24?" And "kids" call you ma'am (at least here in the South) and you no longer flinch, you simply consider them well mannered. And the times you don't get carded - well, they're no longer few and far between - and in fact it starts to be pretty exciting when you DO get carded. And maybe that's when you start thinking that the aging thing - it's not so hot. And then one day, during a random run when you're feeling pretty darn spiffy because the guys who scan your card at the Y asked you about your running, because they could tell you were a RUNNER and not just a treadmill zombie, you realize - 30, it's not that bad. In fact, I am going to bring sexy back to 30. Not that it left, but 30 - I'm just saying you need to watch out for me. Because it's ON. You are I are going to be best friends the next 10 years, and I don't exactly know what's going to happen during those 10 years, but I can guarantee it's going to be a wild ride. The 20's are going to be hard to top, so much happened. We graduated, we got married, and we bought a house - all at the age of 21. The rest of the 20's was full of changing jobs (a FEW times), makings some friends and losing others, adventures all over the country, PIPPIN, quite a few hamsters-Dumbledore, Walker (Texas Ranger), his partner Trivet, and also Ozzy, then there was a new house and lots and lots of work. We've accomplished so much in our 20's, and grown more than I really ever thought possible. And I really don't think our 30's will disappoint either. I don't really know what I want to be when I grow up, but I also think I don't have to know. If my 20's has taught me anything it's that the road will curve and wind and sometimes be hilly and maybe bumpy, but it's there and it's worth the effort.

So, two more days of 20's and then......watch out 30's. But for now, my pork loin is beeping at me. Because sometimes, when you're almost 30, you stay in on a Friday night and roast a beautiful whiskey marinated pork loin and do some painting.

Have a great weekend!!

Rae

WiDTW-
Sat-13.1 mile half marathon
Sun-rest
Mon-30 mins elliptical, swim class+extra meters after
Tues-4.2 run
Wed-450 m swim at lunch, 650m swim later
Thur-4.2 run
Fri- 1 hour Hydrorider class (spinning in water)

11 Comments:

At 5:32 AM, Blogger Iron Jayhawk said...

This made me smile. Well said, Rae.

 
At 5:38 AM, Blogger Anne said...

There's nothing terrible about the 30s, either -- especially if they are long gone in your life. Embrace every year, Rae, and be grateful you have so much to celebrate. You really have accomplished a lot in such a short amount of time.

 
At 7:18 AM, Blogger Jack said...

The 30's were great, the 20's...well that was so looonnng ago I don't remember so much ;-)

Bring the sexy back to 30, it really is a great decade!

 
At 8:21 AM, Blogger Rebecca said...

As someone in the third year of her thirties, let me assure you... 30s are great. I enjoyed your post and could definitely relate to a lot of those feelings (getting carded IS exciting... so is when someone calls me Miss instead of Ma'am). Enjoy your birthday tomorrow and hope the roast came out well!

 
At 8:43 AM, Blogger brent said...

i turn 32 this winter....32 sounds super ancient, nothing like 30! i loved thirty. but 32 sounds crappy!

 
At 11:42 AM, Blogger Trisaratops said...

Amen sista!

Girls born in '77 are SO bringing sexy back!!! :)

Happy 30th!

Maybe Baby Z will decide to come on the 1st...hey, that's fine with me!

 
At 12:24 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

I just turned 28 and I'm thinking about this. You make me want to take 30 by storm ;)!

 
At 9:38 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Happy 30th, Rae!

 
At 3:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!
I'm not far behind you in the race till 30 but I have to say I'm excited about being 30. The 20's were great but I feel like I'm about ready to arrive and I can't wait.
Enjoy the next decade of life.

 
At 5:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!
I just turned 34 a little over a week ago...I sound like the old one.
30s have been great so far!!

 
At 11:55 PM, Blogger Legs and Wings said...

Rae, Happy Birthday! All the best!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home