Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Just Call Me Summer Sanders

Tonight was an important night. Brent and I started swim lessons. Our journey to world domination of the water has begun. And it's probably fitting since this Saturday is the 31-mile ride we've signed up for.

Of course we were totally nervous before class tonight. I had talked to our coach, "Coach C" one day last week and knew I would like him just from our phone convo. I also knew he would probably be 10 years younger than us. Well, I was wrong there because he's only 9 years younger than us (he's 21). But he instantly had our friendship by asking which college we were going to. Smart kid, flattering of age always works well on someone 6 weeks away from turning 30.

Anyway, the rooftop pool is only open on weekends now that school has started back, which has pissed off a ton of my coworkers because they like to go and lay out up there during lunch. The downtown Y doesn't attract a lot of kids (thank GOD!) so it is a perfect place to lunch. When we arrived for our private lesson the lap pool was crowded so Coach C cleared it for us to take the rooftop pool just for the 3 of us. SWEET! That really made the lesson so much easier to get without a bunch of dolphins zipping around making us feel self conscience. It's been over 100 degrees for about two solid weeks now, and the setting sun with the warm rooftop pool water was so wonderfully relaxing. (It was 107 one day last week around here (in the burb where Brent works. That is RIDICULOUS!!)

He assessed where we were and we "dove" right in. We practiced freestyle, backstroke, and breaststroke. We worked on arms, legs, breathing, kicking off. You name it we got a crash course in it tonight. It was very overwhelming but also totally awesome. I suck at freestyle and Brent's pretty good at it. His breathing is so much better than mine. For some reason my left arm is crap. It doesn't like to come out of the water. I can feel it, and it's something I'm going to be working on, but it's also hard to coordinate legs, arms, head and breathing at first. I'm pretty good at breaststroke and backstroke, and Brent's not so great at those. We both have a lot of work to do! It's going to take a lot of hard work and time in the pool, but we both had a lot of fun tonight and it's nice that we can do it together. It helps so much to have someone else watch me, because I felt like I was an arm dragger and it turns out I am.

On a side note, it really cracks me up how many people are finding my blog looking for ways to keep your hair dry while swimming. Trust me, when I find that magical swim cap I will let you know ALL about it! My first swim cap was a silicone one and I really didn't care for it. I bought a latex one a few weeks ago and I really like it a whole lot better. The hair is still totally wet, I just prefer the fit of it. There are a couple of swim caps I want to order that claim dry hair, but I just haven't had a chance to yet. I also got a new pair of goggles recently. My first pair was a POS and was constantly fogging up. Ironically Brent has the same pair and has zero issues. So, when I went back to get a new pair I got a woman's specific pair and they fit SO much better, which also makes me lean towards the woman's specific road bike at the local bike shop. I'm such a midget that I feel like anything made more for a woman has GOT to work better for me.

Alrighty, time for bed. I've got a lot of pics, etc I need to put from last weekend but it'll just have to wait. BUT, I will say that Brent did great at TomatoFest last weekend. 3 of his 5 pieces have already sold which is AWESOME and way more than we expected! I'll put some pics up of his stuff later!

Little Mermaid, out!

WIDTW:
Sun - 20.3 mile ride
Mon - 4.2 mile run, 20 mins tone
Tues - 4.2 mile run, 20 mins tone
Wed - 20 min ellip, 15 min stairmill
Thur - 4.2 mile run
Fri - Rest
Sat - 9 mile run
Sun - 10.2 mile ride
Mon - 30 mins ellip (I totally forgot my sports bra so I was stuck on the elliptical. blah)
Tues - 4.2 mile run, 45 min swim lesson

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 5:14 AM, Blogger Jack said...

Wow, that's totally cool with the swimming lessons, it sounds like you have a good instructor and pool to swim in.

You'll be Tri'ing before you know it.

 
At 6:39 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I so could use a coach for my swimming, that's great that you got one. It'll make the triathlon so much easier if you aren't wailing in the swim.

 
At 8:04 AM, Blogger Krista said...

As a former swimmer, I will tell you you'll never find a cap that will keep your hair totally dry. But try putting baby powder inside the cap before you put it on - this makes it easier to take on/off, keeps your hair a little dryer, and it also smells good when you're done...

 
At 1:33 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Good luck with those swim lessons. I bet it feels good in the 100 degree heat.

 
At 7:22 PM, Blogger MNFirefly said...

Nice job, Rae!

 
At 12:45 PM, Blogger Tiggs said...

i have a trek women's specific road bike. love it!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home