Tuesday, April 10, 2007

(Another) reason you don't want to be our neighbor....

So, Easter morning dawns bright and clear, and there's a white Subaru Outback outside our house. Hmmmm.....never seen that car before! Maybe a neighbor had a sleep-over! We go about our business and are gone until 6:30 that night and the car is still there. And the guy is just sitting in it. 9 pm - Still sitting in it. When we started getting ready for bed around 11 Brent went outside and walked around the car - and the guy was asleep in it. Very odd. The particular neighbor we thought he might be there for is always at a dinner party (that we go to sometimes) every Sunday night from 6 until usually around 11. Was this guy waiting to ambush him???? The thing is, if he was in a jacked up car or didn't look a certain way we would have called the police hours earlier. But here's the thing - what does a terrorist or a criminal look like??? Could be anything, really. So, we did what any concerned citizen would do and called the po-pos. And of course we watched from our windows. A few minutes later he drove up, shined his light in there and woke the guy up. The guy pointed towards the school across the street from us and the cop ran his license info, said a few words, and then left. The guy went back to sleep. Since he apparently wasn't on Oprah's most wanted list (we were hoping for some money out of this!) we went to bed. He was STILL there the next morning, but had moved to a different corner! =) Right at 7 when we left for work we noticed more people than usual outside the school - a line of 6 or 7 (including our mystery guy) were waiting outside for the 7:45 school opening. When I got to work I checked the school's website and yesterday was Pre-K registration. The school next to us is a really nice magnet school, so I'm sure it is difficult to get in. BUT - if you are THE ONLY person who literally camps out for 24 hours, why are you camping out???? Obviously showing up an hour or two ahead of time would have worked. What an overreactor!!! Maybe he just hates his wife and wanted 24 hours away, and said he was "doing it for the kids". I would also HATE to be on a Southwest flight with this guy. I bet he starts the line in the A corral about 3 hours before the plane even gets there. I also think it would be hilarious if he had a blog and we somehow found it - his story of having the police called on him while camping out in his Subaru in 20-degree temps would be hilarious.

Anyway, demo is going fine. Note that I said 'fine', not 'fun'. We are so exhausted and I am so ready to have my house back in order. Everything is spread all over the house. My kitchen table? In the den. Microwave? In the floor, which Pippin loves. Food? In labeled boxes in the dining room. Need a pitcher? Check the bookcases. We picked out our tile Sunday afternoon. We got a very cool ceramic tile that looks just like hardwood. They're in 6x20 planks, and the patterns vary - just like real wood. If you do a very think grout line you literally can't tell it's hardwood without touching it. I think it's going to look awesome. If we ever survive demo, rebuilding a supporting beam, removing cabinets and old floor, moving electrical and plumbing, and laying a level subfloor. As if anything in our 1890's house is level! HA! (Brent took a pic of it at the store with our countertop sample.)

Well, lunch is over, back to work!!

5 Comments:

At 1:10 PM, Blogger Trisaratops said...

Camping out for PRE-K REGISTRATION?????????

WOW. Please tell me I didn't sign up for this. :)

 
At 9:22 PM, Blogger lainb said...

LOL!! that's classic! I've never heard of camping out for Pre-K either...that's pretty darn funny. And I love your comment about being in the "A" line for Southwest...I HATE when those "A" people line up 2 hours prior. Seriously, is getting a "prime" seat really that important to these people?? haha

 
At 2:37 PM, Blogger Anne said...

This is both hilarious -- and sad. Can't imagine what that child's life is going to be like if your parents are that determined for you to succeed at 3 or 4. Might as well pass him the crack pipe now.

 
At 11:11 AM, Blogger MNFirefly said...

Oh...my...GAWD! They are really getting technical about standing in line. I had to do that when my son registered for kindergarden at very popular school...about 5 years ago. GUILTY!!! Nice job on being very proactive though with the police.

 
At 1:33 PM, Blogger Afternoon Tea With Oranges said...

That story is hilarious. And I love the analogy of the airport people - those people drive me ABSOLUTELY NUTS!!!! I'd come alot closer to camping out for my child to get into a certain school, though, than I would to get a certain seat on an airplane. I do tend overreact for my kiddos, too. Maybe not to that degree, though!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home