Tuesday, March 27, 2007

The Road to Atlanta.....or Illinois???

Here goes.....marathon journey #4, part 1 of who-knows-how-many.

Friday I worked a half-day and booked it out of work to leave town. Brent had taken the day off to meet with the contractors for a final measure of the kitchen and to talk about all the electrical, plumbing and gas that will need to be moved. We quickly finished packing, loaded up, dropped Pips off at the kennel and headed out of town stopping in the 'Boro for some lunch at Panera Bread and to get our pre-race lucky muffins. I hope I never get tired of them because I am so over oatmeal, bagels and toast!

For some reason the interstate was packed with cars from Illinois. I mean, PACKED. For a while we felt like possibly we had entered some strange vortex and ended up in Illinois. I text-ed Barb to see if Illinois had been evacuated for some strange reason because it was seriously freaky. We all made our way through the always beautiful Monteagle part of the state. You drive up the mountain and then back down, and it's just so scenic. Fortunately we were able to hit early rush hour traffic in Chattanooga right at 4 pm and then late rush hour traffic in Atlanta at 6 pm. Blah. And as a side note - Chattanooga has crappy radio so bring some CDs. Fortunately we did, and I also entertained Brent by singing the few words of "Georgia on my Mind" as well as any other Michael Bolton songs I could think of. (The blurry road-side pic is the Welcome to Georgia sign. I sort of missed it!)






















And wouldn't you know once we finally got to our exit and were close to our hotel the road our hotel was on was closed due to construction!! That always happens. We ended up circling a few times and finally made it to our hotel-in spite of the massive amount of people downtown for a Hawks game at the arena next to our hotel. We were SO glad to be out of the car! Our hotel was so nice. We're into boutique hotels - I can't stand the massive chains with floral print bedspreads and unlabeled soaps. Ew, ew and ew. We checked in and new we were in the right place when the elevator spoke to us with a British accent and wished us Cheerio! on our floor. (We did ride the elevator with someone else later who was on the 10th floor and she told them Wow! so after that we weren't quite as jazzed with our Cheerio!). The hallways were lined with fake grass and there were even little carpet doormats outside each door. The beds were down and cozy and you could even purchase the little stuffed animal that came with the room. However - you don't want to share this room with your grandma or a coworker on a business trip! The bedroom had a window into the shower with very cool metal beads hanging over it. Very sexy, just like everything else in the hotel.

We relaxed for a bit and then walked around downtown Atlanta. Tons of people were hanging out in Olympic Park playing in the fountains and just enjoying the warm and humid night. We walked around for ages trying to find somewhere to eat. Downtown Atlanta is obviously not a place where you live, most things down there weren't even open although there were tons of tourists about. We finally found a Mexican joint that was pretty good. After dinner we walked back and relaxed more in the room before falling asleep for a wonderful 9 hours of sleep - something we never get to do at home!!!












Well, that's all I have time for tonight, more about the expo and race tomorrow!

9 Comments:

At 10:16 PM, Blogger Jack said...

What no MP3 download of your interpretation of "Georgia on my Mind", we are so deprived ;-) I totally agree about boutique hotels, the big chains have nothing on them, the one you stayed in looks great.

 
At 8:56 AM, Blogger Afternoon Tea With Oranges said...

Congrats on finishing #4 - You rock! It infuriates me that you had no gatoraide. There is NO excuse for that. You paid for that in your entry fee, not to mention that they are putting everyone of you at risk for hyponatromia (however you spell it - ha!I don't want to fool with dictionary.com right now). If these people want to put on an event like this, they need to learn that they've got to get the fluid/food thing right. I had the same thing in Vegas at the finish line - nothing - not even water. I had to go into the hotel and pay $2.25 for a 20 oz bottle of water. It's just not cool.

 
At 11:48 AM, Blogger Iron Jayhawk said...

Monteagle!! We used to have a cabin up there in Clifftops. I'm tickled pink that you guys took that route.

And I loooooooove the boutique hotel you stayed at. What charm!!

Cheerio! :)

 
At 1:11 PM, Blogger susie said...

sorry i'm late to the party1 GREAT JOB IN THE HEAT!! ugh...fingers don't work:)

 
At 6:13 PM, Blogger MNFirefly said...

Awesome pictures, Rae!

 
At 6:57 PM, Blogger Full Metal Lunchbox said...

Chattanooga has a rush hour?

 
At 7:08 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

Did you stay at the Glenn? I think that's the new one down there. And dinner at Mama Ninfa's? I really hope Downtown gets some revitalization, there could be some great restaurants. Next time you're in town I can make a couple recommendations!

 
At 11:18 AM, Blogger Dana said...

I am new to the running world but I have been reading your blog for the past year & I have to say that because of your inspiring & hilarious race stories they have encouraged me to run my 1st 5K in May of this year. And BIG congrats on completing your 4th marathon! I am getting psyched out about running my 1st 5K,I can only imagine completing a whole marathon let alone 4. You are a TOTAL ROCK STAR!!!

 
At 2:25 PM, Blogger Rich said...

I suppose that depends who your co-workers are ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home