Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Just say no to Man Tights

Hey all! Hope your week is going well and the best part is it's almost half over!! Come on weekend!

SO, back to last weekend. Sat morning was our 15 mile long run. Just like the rest of the country we were under "Winter Blast 07" watch and it was hella cold. I think it was around 23 degrees around 9:30 when we headed out to run. FAR too cold for me!! (And I know it's been a lot colder than that where a lot of you guys live but it's all relative! This is the South!!) As soon as we started out I knew it was going to be a LONG run - the wind was making me tear up involuntarily, making me voluntarily want to tear up! We ran the same route we ran last week, but added on the 4 mile loop we skipped. So, once again we ran from our house, past the Stadium, into downtown, up Music Row, past Belmont Univ, on to Athlete's House to refill our water bottles and enjoy some of their Gatorade and then out to a little 4-mile neighborhood loop before heading out. The great thing about this course is that most of it is part of the Country Music Half Marathon course. It's also great training for Atlanta because Nashville is hilly and so is the Georgia course. On our way out we ran into the wind, mostly uphill, around 10 min miles. On the return trip we ran with the wind at our backs, more downs than ups, around 9.30 miles. We split up to run our own paces for the last 1.5 miles and I finished my last mile sub 9 mins, uphill. Go me!! There's a long hill in Georgia from mile 23 to 24, so I'm working long ups into the last portion of our runs. That's really not hard because no matter which direction you head back to our house it's a long, steep uphill. It was a cold run, challenging course, and I felt good at the end. I could've run 11 more miles, even on such a brutal day. But there was one thing bothering me.....

I don't have a nice pair of running tights. They're so pricey and since we don't have very many truly cold days I've never invested in them. I have some lighter weight running pants and some super thick fleece lined running pants but no tights. Brent has TWO pairs of tights. So, Sat morning I asked him if I could wear a pair. He was nice and let me wear his good Mizuno ones. From the get-go I could tell they were a little uncomfortable in my non-man parts. As the run went on they were more and more uncomfortable, and my last miles were probably faster because I wanted to be rid of them ASAP. But wow, I had NO clue. Let's just say the degree of chafing I had in a very personal area was pretty unbelievable and insanely painful. Brent was a little sore and chafed in various places post run, but all weekend he started sentences about his aches and pains with "I know you're hurting more, BUT.....". Thankfully time and loose pants has greatly helped because I was NOT looking forward to the very embarrassing and personal visit to a doc for THAT one. I'm not sure what's different about man tights but I will never be wearing them again. And don't bother asking for pics, because there won't be any!

Sunday morning I was shocked to see a fresh coating of snow on the ground!! I quickly laced up my trail shoes, thanked Pippin for waking me up far earlier than I needed to get up, and headed out for a quick run. It was truly just a dusting - MAYBE a half inch - but enough for me to enjoy! I think it was 17 degrees or something ridiculous. I grabbed my cell phone and bundled up. In most spots in our neighborhood I was the first pair of tracks through the snow. Every once in a while I'd meet a dog walker - one called me "crazy" - but wasn't he out there too??? I looped our neighborhood and the lake at Shelby Park to make a quick 3.6 mile run. When I got back Brent was up so we took Pippin for a quick walk so Brent could enjoy the snow, too. By the end of my run most of it was already starting to melt!! There wasn't enough for a snowman but we did have a decent snowball fight.





















As much fun as we've had in our two tiny snows I am ready for spring and short sleeves and tank tops and yardwork!! And I'm scared to death about what our next heating bill is going to be!!!!!!!

My fave pic from Sunday's snow: These two boys headed to the park to sled on .5 inch of rapidly melting snow. It really doesn't take much snow here to create a sledding frenzy. I was the same way growing up.













Take care!
Rachel

WIDTW-
Sun - 3.6 mile run, .8 mile walk with Pips
Mon - 45 mins Killer Butt, .6 mile walk with Pips
Tues - 4.25 mile run, .6 mile walk with Pips

19 Comments:

At 12:25 AM, Blogger Jack said...

I react the same to snow as you, I can't wait to leave tracks!

Why do I snicker every time I read "I was NOT looking forward to the very embarrassing and personal visit to a doc for THAT one."

Baby ointment used for diaper rash is good for chaffing issues, although I can't comment on any specific applications.

 
At 9:19 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

you are tough! I'm such a wimp when it comes to running in the cold; i rather spent hours on the treadmill going crazy in my head!!!!!!!

 
At 10:09 AM, Blogger David said...

Good strategy on the Georgia prep work.

I have never experienced a tights problem as you descried. I hope I never do. Ouch.

 
At 11:35 AM, Blogger Lance Notstrong said...

Maybe man tights have extra fabric in that area that just move around on a woman and causes chaffing.

 
At 2:32 PM, Blogger E-Speed said...

I am sure the dog walker wasn't out on his own ideas. His wife probably normally walks the dog but makes him do it when its cold ;)

Sounds like you got in some good running this weekend!

 
At 2:58 PM, Blogger MNFirefly said...

I can not wait for the snow to be GONE. Bring on SPRING!

 
At 8:21 PM, Blogger Anne said...

I've suffered the same consequence, only wearing man shorts on an exceptionally sweaty, long run. Now I know to stay away from man tights too. Who knew.

 
At 8:28 PM, Blogger Darrell said...

Way to get out there during Winter Watch. Hopefully it will warm up some for the rest of your preGeorgia long runs.

 
At 9:58 PM, Blogger Full Metal Lunchbox said...

I had the same problem with "man tights" once, and I'm actually a man.

Well, actually, they weren't so much tights per se as they were cheap sweats I bought on sale at Sears.

I guess I got what was coming to me.

 
At 3:32 AM, Blogger CJ said...

So while you're freezing, we've been sweltering - but i odn't mind. i'm not a cold weather person so I never look forward to Winter. This year we will hopefully miss a bit of our Winter because we plan on being italy for part of summer!

Though having said that, I don't like really hot weather when I'm doing long hilly runs. Much prefer cooler weather with a breeze while running those.

I think in the 12 years we've been here in Canberra its probably snowed once where it was possible to build snowmen!

Hope Pippin is recovering well from his surgery.

 
At 12:33 PM, Blogger Afternoon Tea With Oranges said...

Oh no! I hate that you had that man tights experience, but thanks for the warning...I won't be trying that!

I'm totally with you on hurrying up spring...I am in serious need of some warmer temps.

 
At 8:26 PM, Blogger Rich said...

"Man tights" LOL!

 
At 8:11 AM, Blogger Jason The Running Man said...

Great blog. Found you off CRN. Man tights...funny.

 
At 9:04 PM, Blogger jeanne said...

running in miami--even with laryngitis--in 80 degrees--was HEAVEN! pure total heaven!

sorry about the chafing. that sounds like total MISERY!

 
At 8:27 AM, Blogger RedheadFangirl said...

I now know to leave shoreturtles tights to him! I have 2 pairs of running pants, but both are way thin for the wind chills here. Yesterday I ran and kept getting arctic blasts of wind!

Glad Pippin is almost healed. Such a long healing time for pupper.

 
At 2:01 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I love to get out in the snow as soon as possible. And I always say no to man tights.

 
At 8:02 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

cheap jordan shoes
coach outlet store online clearances
kevin durant shoes
replica watches
true religion jeans
coach outlet store online
michael kors uk
abercrombie
michael kors outlet
celine
adidas yeezy
coach outlet
coach factory outlet
toms outlet
jordan 8
louis vuitton outlet
jordan concords
adidas shoes
nfl jerseys wholesale
adidas shoes
nike roshe runs
christian louboutin flats
true religion jeans
kate spade
michael kors outlet
jordan retro 3
burberry outlet online
michael kors outlet online
louis vuitton handbags
fitflops sale clearance
louis vuitton handbags
louis vuitton outlet
cheap oakley sunglasses
supra sneakers
coach outlet
kate spade handbags
nike roshe run
caoch outlet
cheap jordans
coach outlet
20166.8wengdongdong

 
At 1:25 AM, Blogger John said...

columbia outlet store
cheap jordans
celine outlet
versace clothing
louboutin outlet
gucci outlet online
red bottoms
air jordan
coach outlet online
michael kors outlet
20190311yuanyuan

 
At 5:20 PM, Blogger jasonbob said...

yeezy boost
curry 6
golden goose sneakers
jordan shoes
yeezy
balenciaga sneakers
goyard
supreme outlet
golden goose sneakers
nike off white

 

Post a Comment

<< Home