Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Can someone please turn the heat off?

Well, I guess I better make this quick! Looks like Blogger is going down in half an hour.

So, how are things?? I had so much fun tracking all the people running in Boston on Monday! How cool is that? I think I was totally worthless at work that morning/early afternoon! Modern technology is so cool. I can't wait until I QUALIFY and run Boston, probably 2008 or 2009! I wouldn't want to run it any other way. As fast an elite marathon as it is there's no way I'd want to be the slow one finishing last!

Anyway, it's hotter than hell here. All sorts of records have been broken. When I headed out last night for my run at 5:30 it was 86 degrees! GEEZ! I swear this is still April, but you wouldn't know. I had gotten so used to running in the cool weather, and now it's such a drastic change. I tried to start out slow but ended up with a Mile 1 of 7:55. So I slowed it down a bit for mile 2. I'm also drinking a lot more, and even carried a frozen Fuel Belt bottle with me yesterday. It was completely melted by Mile 4! I did the big loop at the hospital and was headed towards the small neighborhood park. My arm was really starting to swell up so I had to stop at around Mile 2.6 and adjust my nano sports band. It was a nice 15-20 second break and it really helped me get my heart rate under control. I met one other sweaty runner around this point. I ran through the park and then started up a .4 mile climb. It was into the sun and SO hot. When I made it to the top I stopped and let my HR drop for another 15-20 seconds. I saw a friend drive by and thought about giving up and flagging her down for a ride but I'm too headstrong for that. I started back up and picked up some speed heading home. I made the 6.4 mile loop in an avg pace of 8:40. Not bad! In the cooler temps I've done the same route in about 8:25-8:35, so I guess that's still good. I was sweating like a DOG when I got home. I was absolutely drenched, and I drained all 3 bottles during my run. I think that's how much water I drank during the whole half M a few weeks ago! I was a little dizzy so I crashed on the couch for a few before we started making dinner. Brent's foot was hurting him a little so he's out running right now. It's a nice 84 degrees, ugh!! Hopefully we can get a nice cool front before Country Music in a week and a half.

Here's what makes me mad - there was horse $hit all over the sidewalk! Last weekend we saw two people riding horses ON THE SIDEWALK! WTF?? Where did they come from and why do they think they belong on a sidewalk? We're smack in the middle of suburbia, not horseville. I can't believe how rude they are. There's no telling how many kids have horse crap on their shoes, bicycle wheels, everywhere. Not to mention how badly it smells under this hot sun.

In other work news I have now hidden the godforsaken candy bowl. One particular person at work has taken it upon himself to try to make my already overweight coworkers even more so. For EIGHT straight days now he has brought in a fresh bag of candy. Choc eggs, M&Ms, etc. Today it was snack mix because we've complained about the chocolate. It's on a table in the hallway, right across from my cube. So this afternoon (once the bowl was empty, which only takes until noon) I took the bowl and put it inside one of the drawers of the table. We'll see how long it takes for it to be found! Some of us have also thought about entering a maintenance ticket to have the table moved! It's really going WAY overboard.

Here are some pics from last weekend!

Pippin's purple party pool is now open for the summer season! Doggie beach party at our house!












Some pics from a walk at the park:









Have a great night everybody!

16 Comments:

At 4:35 PM, Blogger Michele said...

The kids, dog and I walked this afternoon and it was HOT. Is it still April???? I think it about killed Peyton she is still trying to recover. When we got home she got INTO the pool. I went to the backyard to find her standing on the second step drinking.
I hope that race morning is cooler with great weather for the after party. The last two years it has sucked weather wise.

 
At 5:17 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I cannot believe the heat in your area lately. It was 34 degrees when I went running yesterday morning and I live in Washington not Canada.

 
At 5:36 PM, Blogger BuckeyeRunner said...

Wow! Summer is in full swing in TN! I'll have to wait until June or July to get temps like that. It's good that you are staying hydrated on your runs.

 
At 6:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i like your long-range plan for Boston. i think (at least I hope) i'm on a similar long-term track...i hope i haven't plateued. that's my fear right now...good reminder that it's gonna take some time...

 
At 6:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The heat is almost too much. There was not any transition time. The forecast for race day is Sunny, Winds from the N at 7 mph, High 64. I know it will change 10 times before then but we can only hope.

 
At 7:15 PM, Blogger Cory said...

Pippinspurplepartypoolpippinspurplepartypoolpippinspurplepartypoolpippinspurplepartypool!!

I am purple party poolless. *whine8

 
At 8:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great pics. This heat is killing my yard already!

 
At 12:59 AM, Blogger Jack said...

Hey what's up with the heat wave, and I complained about the 68F that we had yesterday. Did, like someone forget to tell the weather man it's still April!

Rae in Boston 2008(9), what a worthy goal. I know you'll make it!

 
At 8:54 AM, Blogger Cliff said...

interesting..it will be 57.2 here this weeeknd...freezing....pls send some heat up here.

 
At 9:40 AM, Blogger Legs and Wings said...

Yes, here in Atlantic Canada we enjoyed snow flurries yesterday. I wore my customary toque for good measure! I wish I had some of your heat...just a bit - not all of it!

Nice butt shot Pippin.

 
At 2:25 PM, Blogger E-Speed said...

saw the cutest little baby pippin today walking his owner. So cute!!!

 
At 10:25 PM, Blogger Iron Jayhawk said...

Ugh. I hate heat like that!! Hopefully it'll cool down a bit before the heat is here to stay.

I'm excited that you and Brent are signing up for Chicago this weekend. No backing out! And you'll want to book a hotel soon as the entire city sells out!! Let me know if you need suggestions :)

 
At 11:37 PM, Blogger Darrell said...

You are warmer or should I say hotter that we are here in So Cal. Nice sub 8:00 mile. Are you shooting for 1:45 at CM1/2M?

 
At 4:05 AM, Blogger Toasty said...

I see the photo of you walking the dog. Hell, with legs that long you must really run fast!

 
At 9:56 AM, Blogger Tiggs said...

RBF party in Boston when Rae qualifies!!! sounds great to me :)


I'm running Chicago!! Finally, we shall meet!!

 
At 10:32 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Boston 2008/2009

that's about when I will be able to qualify... if I don't meet you and Brent in a TN race sometime, maybe it will be then!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home