Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Pippin, Da Baller

Although he hasn't technically been a baller since he was six months old (oh happy day!), Pippin has now earned the title of "Honorary Baller". It's official, our dog Pippin won our NCAA tournament brackets. I have no idea how he did it. I had little to no faith when he picked Florida as the winner of the tournament that they would ACTUALLY win. When he picked LSU to beat Duke I asked him if he was sure. Sure, he picked Monmouth to win a few games, but he had TWO of the final four teams right, and I had one. In the end his score was nearly DOUBLE mine. Overall in the Yahoo leagues he ended up ranked 7,205. SEVEN FREAKIN' thousand!! He was in the 99th percentile!!! For perspective, I ended up 380,000-something and in the 60-something percentile, and I was third in my league! I'm not exactly sure how many people played overall in Yahoo, Good Morning America said 4 million but my math would estimate closer to 1 million. Either way, I'm asking Pippin what numbers to play in Powerball on Wednesday. He's already earned a lot more respect around here. I ask him what to wear for work, what we should cook for dinner, whether or not we should change long distance plans. He's not only our dog now he's our personal advisor.

Here's some video of how he made his picks. I told Brent the two teams matched up, in no particular order and shuffled about. Brent had a treat in each hand and randomly assigned a team to each hand. Pippin picked a hand and thus a team. I realize this video is shot sideways, I forgot to turn the camera (duh!) but you can still see Pippin's intense concentration and selection process. Each game took a while, so be glad we didn't film the whole thing! Pippin took this very seriously! Next year I'm going to have Brent hold a Thin Mint and Reese's Cup in his hands so I can do a better job picking MY teams.

Enjoy!

15 Comments:

At 7:10 PM, Blogger Cory said...

I wonder how he'd do in my baseball fantasy league. Course, that would take forever and a half (picking full rosters and such). In fact, I like the you with the thin mints and reeses idea better. I wish I could have somebody hold a Cadbury egg and a snickers bar for me.

Anyhow, maybe the women'll have a tourney next year, and I won't suck. I just picked teams that sounded "cool"...uhh...yo! Like, teams that a bunch of frat boys would root for.

I didn''t have much faith in Monmouth, but maybe next time.

 
At 7:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go Pippin! Next year, Lucy is definitely playing.

 
At 7:25 PM, Blogger jeanne said...

You are hilarious!!!

(and thanks for your comment--you are sooo right! I AM GLAD I did it!)

 
At 8:07 PM, Blogger mouse said...

OMG. seriously, this is so freaking hilarious. I told roommate that pippin was winning his bracket and she was cracking up.

 
At 5:30 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Who needs sports analysts... just a random number generator and your in the 99th percentile. Way to Pippin the Pimpin' Pimpster.

 
At 6:17 AM, Blogger Anne said...

Sounds like these sports pools have really gone to the dogs...well, good for Pippin for picking so many winners.

 
At 6:44 AM, Blogger Iron Jayhawk said...

That is a riot. Can Pippin come visit me march madness of next year? Phog Allen isn't nearly as talented!

 
At 7:37 AM, Blogger Legs and Wings said...

Great video! Congratulations Pippin!

 
At 7:41 AM, Blogger Cliff said...

This is hilarious..Pippin should have his own tv show :0

 
At 8:04 AM, Blogger E-Speed said...

OMG That video is Hilarious! So cute! You guys are such a fun loving family!

 
At 8:46 AM, Blogger Cory said...

You and Anne need to get together. I'd love to see a Pippin and Kaiser post.

Well, actually, maybe not. Kaiser sounds psycho. Pippin just sounds...perky. Like a gymnast. And gymnasts are fun.

 
At 1:53 PM, Blogger Hilda said...

Pippin's intense concentration and selection process!! I'm loving that part, what a smart and lovely dog!!

 
At 5:41 PM, Blogger David said...

That's hilarious! Did Pippin have a fat gut after eating 63 game treats?

 
At 11:47 PM, Blogger Jack said...

I love it! Go Pippin! And you guys are pretty cool too ;-)

 
At 8:56 AM, Blogger lainb said...

go Pips...you da dawg!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home