Tuesday, March 28, 2006

A day in the circus

Hey guys! I PROMISE this post will be shorter than my last one!!

Anyway, it is FINALLY starting to feel like spring! Sat & Sun were chilly and overcast, but Pippin and I still went for a nice 3 mile walk Sunday afternoon. He loved it and we even did some run-walk intervals. A lady runner went by and he wanted to chase after her so once she got far enough that she wouldn't realize we were actually chasing HER we ran for a bit. Until he would suddenly stop to pee on a pole, tree, limb, leaf, etc and nearly send my flying over him! Crazy dog!!

It was 24 degrees for our Monday am walk. UGH! Not the way to start the week out. But the day warmed up pretty nicely and this morning it was 54 degrees for our walk!! We saw the same lady jogger as Sunday and another woman walking. I've forgotten how many more walkers there are when it's not pitch black and freezing. It's been so much easier to walk every morning when it's daylight. I think it will still be daylight next week once the time changes, too. Tonight after work I went out for my regular 6-miler, it was an awesome 59 degrees, perfect! There were quite a few walkers and several of the usual joggers. This time of year you see so many more runners out getting ready for the big CMM at the end of April. Last year there were 17,000 runners and this year 23,000 are expected. Where do all these ppl go the rest of the year??? I did the hospital, one of the small park and one of the smaller hills to end up with 6.3 mile with an avg 8.59 pace. For some reason I never quite found my form tonight, my feet sounded way too loud but I still managed to scare a few walkers. When I ran past the cows tonight (there is one farm stuck in the middle of all this suburbia! They could make some serious $$ if they sold that land!) they really stank. I guess warmer weather makes the poo smell drift a bit more. Anyway, it was a great run and warmer weather is predicted for the rest of the week. YAY!!

So, work is still work. It's bizarre at best. I thought I'd share some of the absolute insanity that goes on in our office. I swear they should hire me to write on the staff of the Office sitcom. So, if you only read for running info skip ahead to the bottom and leave a running related comment. Otherwise, keep reading and I SWEAR this is all true!

**Our receptionist - remember her, from the Justin Guarini "scandal"? Anyway, we have a British subsidiary and the prez of that division has been over for the past week and a half. He was walking through the lobby with one of my coworkers and they stopped to talk to the Recep. Once they were about to leave she said to him "Alright, Good Day Mate." My coworker looked at him and said "Huh?" And he said "Yes, I know. That's Australian. And she says it to me every day and I just can't tell her the British don't say that".
**Another coworker in Cash Apps told me yesterday about a series of emails she was having with one of our customers. Our line of business makes something and we ship it out. She had contacted him about which invoice to apply his payment to. He emailed her back and asked her for a listing of his open invoices and also asked how much additional $$ it would be to add a Ford Ranger to his policy. She told him his open invoices and explained to him that she really didn't know much about insurance since we are in the business of manufacturing something that has nothing to do with cars or car insurance. He wrote back and told her which invoice to apply his payment to, and also asked why we could not add his Ford Ranger, and it would it be cheaper if he was also adding an additional person to his coverage. Once again she had to respond to him and explain we manufacture things and he really might want to contact his insurance company. People like that make me feel like ANYONE can own their own business.
**Another coworker in Credit/Collections has a customer on the phone who has to stop her and have an enormous laugh about my coworkers Southern Accent. She said she couldn't understand a word she says. Then she starts repeating everything my coworker has said in her Northern Accent. She finally asks to be forwarded to her customer service rep - who happens to be Hispanic. I wonder if that went any better!! Needless to say every time this coworker has said ANYTHING to me over the past two days I tell her I can't possibly understand a word she says. Sad thing is I really don't think she has much of an accent!!
**We got new chairs today. A coworker and I managed to break hers within 5 minutes by seeing exactly how pimp we could get it! That has to be a record. Also, the blue light above my desk (see previous post) went off today. I was so excited I wasn't exactly sure what to do!! Some security guys were working on something involving wires from the ceiling and they cut it off pretty soon. Next time I plan to be better prepared.

Have a great Wednesday!

Rachel

Exercise-
Mon - 1 mile am walk with Pips, 60 minutes toning/stretching (Focus: abs/butt)
Tues - 1 mile am walk with Pips, 6.3 mile run

15 Comments:

At 8:14 PM, Blogger lainb said...

sure sounds like your office doesn't have many dull moments!

 
At 8:32 PM, Blogger Rich said...

At least she doesn't tell him "nice pants"!

G'day Rae!

 
At 3:12 AM, Blogger Jack said...

Hooray for the warmer weather, that always makes running more pleasant.

I have a hispanic engineer from our sister company near Boston (MA). that calls on occasion. Normally he needs to talk to our development engineers, but they turned him over to me because they couldn't understand his Hispanic-English and he couldn't understand their German-English. The worst is that I can barely understand him either!

 
At 4:50 AM, Blogger Amy said...

I work in the sitcom The Office as well. Case in point: When our audit managers (AM) visit the office they are "supposed" to be told that they have to bring donuts. We have an AM here this week and it took 4 people, 3 days to figure out how to tell her that she is "supposed" to bring donuts...because just saying "hey, you need to bring donuts" would be too hard. They figured out how to pose the topic only after spending unknown amounts of time playing snackbar bingo...and hey, one of them won $20!

Have a great wednesday!

 
At 5:20 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

How funny about your office. But having experience in a corporate enviroment with cube farms and everything, I know the type of people of which you speak.

The "Good Day Mate' reminds me of the opening scene of Dumb&Dumber

 
At 7:56 AM, Blogger Cliff said...

Yes, u should write an office sitcom. Forget about accounting ..there is no future in that ;D.

 
At 10:04 AM, Blogger Iron Jayhawk said...

Hehehehee...at least you keep entertained at work :)

 
At 11:31 AM, Blogger Legs and Wings said...

I think we could all write sitcom pilots based on our work environments. Some pretty funny stuff happens here too. Fun!

 
At 1:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

but you said you were going to DANCE!!!

 
At 1:59 PM, Blogger RedheadFangirl said...

Good day mate? What a doorknob!

Today it was 60 here- running and biking will be much more plesant soon. Daylight savings this weekend!

 
At 7:00 PM, Blogger E-Speed said...

lol did you dance under the blue light! You better get your husband on stand by for when it happens again so he can get video!

 
At 4:26 AM, Blogger BuckeyeRunner said...

There needs to be a reality show at your workplace - seriously!

 
At 7:17 AM, Blogger D said...

Rae: I request a daily circus post - I need a daily good laugh! Thanks! How long have you been working there?

 
At 5:16 PM, Blogger onepinkfuzzy said...

love the office posts!

 
At 2:08 PM, Blogger MusWriter said...

Wow1 Check mine out. My blog!
Teen Stronghold.
Oh sorry but no races!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home