Thursday, March 09, 2006

Not a good hair day!!


Hey guys! How's the weather in your hood? We've had some major storms this afternoon. Spring has obviously arrived by all the flowers and trees blooming, and nice mild temps we've had. But along with that comes all the strong spring storms, which often mean hail and tornadoes down here in the South. Do you guys up in New England/Northeast even have tornadoes? I don't think I've ever heard of a tornado raking across Connecticut, but there's probably not as many mobile home parks to demolish up there. I have so many memories of huddling in hallways in schools growing up, and even in the basement in college. Brent and I were talking about a particular storm in May 1995 today. It was about 5 months before he and I ever met. I was a senior in high school and was enjoying a nice senior half day at my fave Mexican restaurant with my two best friends when the storm hit. We were eating outside on the patio when the storm suddenly hit blowing all the plastic tables and chairs through the parking lot and the staff rushed everyone behind the bar and declared a party! We thought it was a blast. Of course my parents weren't so amused! Brent had his own story about that afternoon, and it's so strange to think that even though we were a couple hundred miles apart and had yet to meet that we both have memories of that same day.

Today we have the same memories though! All week long they've been talking about expecting strong storms on Thursday. When Pippin and I walked this morning you just knew it was coming. It was seriously windy and all the animals were nutty. Pippin hid all his treats today and wouldn't eat them until after we got home this evening. Sometimes he saves them for when we come home for lunch, but today he was stockpiling. I guess that's his contingency plan if we never come back. (occasionally he forgets about them all together and I find them in the strangest places.) We work 7.30-4.30, but it's usually closer to 5 when we leave. Around 4.45 as I was winding down a coworker's hubby called and said it was already starting to storm and power was out in a lot of the city. Brent and I had brought our gym clothes since an outdoor run seemed a bit out of the question, but we decided to go home instead. There was just something about being stranded, trapped or otherwise swept away in a twister at the corporate gym that just didn't sound like the best way to wrap up our time here on Earth. Sneaky Brent had already moved our car closer to the front at the office. I tried to take some pictures of the wind and rain, but they just didn't come out that well. I took some video Brent's going to upload through YouTube. Just as we got close to our subdivision the bottom fell out. You could see the black clouds moving across the road and you couldn't see further than two feet. I don't think the intensity really came out in my video. We were in the Jeep Wrangler, and you couldn't hear anything except the pounding rain and the 45 mph winds. Luckily our power was still on so we could drive right into the garage. Car and house alarms were going off up and down the street! Pippin seemed a bit freaked about the whole thing and once it calmed down a little I took him outside. He wasn't happy about the rain (which we also have on video). The storms calmed down and so far it looks like we don't have any trees down, just a ton more mulch displaced by the strong rains. Another line is supposed to move through in a few hours. I ended up doing my 6 miles tonight on our treadmill while watching a few more episodes of the Office we've downloaded.

It seems like the worst ones always come through as we're sleeping. A few years ago practically every night we had tornado warnings. And it was all just a couple of days before the CPA exam. I got where I slept with my exam admittance card on my nightstand and took it with me into the closet every time we had to find a "safe interior room" to bunker down in. If the house came down around me by God I would still be able to take the exam. Screw the wedding photos, vacation mementos, birth certificates - that exam pass was #1.

Saturday we have our stair climbing challenge. Have we practiced lately? Nope. That's TOTALLY unlike me - I am the queen of being overprepared. We don't have a good place to practice and doing our up-down repeats in our house aggravated my foot. (The down is the problem, not the up so the competition should be fine.) We're just doing it for fun and chalking it up as another athletic adventure. Audrey did hers last weekend (which ours doesn't even begin to compare to!) so I'm all pumped.

Oh, and Portland, OR is tops in my list of great cities to live in. We visited there in 2002 and I think it's awesome. Close to the mountains and the ocean, and it's full of so much artistic personality without being TOO enormous or crowded. Everyone just LOOKED athletic. We went to a great Farmer's Market and traveled throughout Oregon. I love it. We watched people windsurfing in the Columbia Gorge and were completely amazed. (It was perfect except for our Crater Lake experience which is a very long story that will have to wait for another day!!) Portland was also tops in a list of the best cities to walk in I saw this week.

Good luck to everyone racing this weekend and especially Jack! He's running a marathon near his home in Germany. I'm still waiting for my airline e-tickets so I can fly over and head up his support crew, I'm sure he MUST have sent them to the wrong email address. You know I'd be more than happy to jump in and run the last few with you!! His race is Sunday am, with the time change it starts at 4 am EST. YIKES! He'll have certainly accomplished a lot by the time I wake up Sunday!

Have a great weekend everyone!

25 Comments:

At 7:36 PM, Blogger a.maria said...

ohhh, i love storms. LOVE love. we have a possibility of major storms this week... well.. so say the weather peeps, but what do they know?! so far... nuthin.

i'm so jealous of your big storms! miss'em.. i grew up all over the place in tornado alley, so, i definitely have had my fair share!

enjoy the rain, and good job cranking out 6 on the tread!

 
At 7:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have an awesome time at the climb!!

We learned all about tornadoes and early warning systems in school today. Crazy stuff. Stay safe.

 
At 10:06 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Good luck on the stair climb and you and Brent would fit in perfectly in Portland. It is a great place to live and I would love to move back there. My in-laws live there so I visit often.

 
At 10:32 PM, Blogger Cory said...

When I lived in NC, closest of six states to you, we didn't have but a few normal rain storms, and moderate snow (I was in the S. Blue Ridge Mtns, about 1 hour from TN, and almost on SC and GA).

California and Arizona would get very windy at times, but not tornadic. The wind sucked, though, because of brush fire problems.

Vermont had mild, calm summers, but winters were ripe for black ice, and tons of snow.

Here in PA, where I've been since 2000, I recall 1 tornado, which was fully 60 mi north of me.

FL was humid, muggy, muggy, humid, muggy, hot, muggy, hot, humid, and HOT as H, E, AND a couple of toothpicks! It was bloody nasty! No tornados, and no hurricanes right in my path, but a crazy amount of rain.

I like cool, calm, misty and 50 or so.

 
At 4:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i've heard portland is absolutely amazing too...

i have SO many memories of hurricanes in louisiana...getting WEEKS off of school and just sitting around at friends houses...

 
At 5:01 AM, Blogger Simba's Mom said...

Good luck with the stair climb!

 
At 5:42 AM, Blogger ShoreTurtle said...

Have fun taking the stairs!

 
At 7:03 AM, Blogger Iron Jayhawk said...

Yay for rain storms! Glad that you folks didn't lose power. The insanity of the Nashville storms actually made Chicago news!

Good luck on the climbing challenge. I didn't train too much for the Hustle either (it's a bit hard). Just start out slow, gradually build your speed, and try not to get too dizzy on your way up.

 
At 7:24 AM, Blogger Trisaratops said...

Glad to see I'm not the only one with my hair in my fact today!!!! I can't WAIT for a good thunderstorm. :) But not a tornado. That's a little too much for me. Hey, we graduated HS at the same time--how 'bout that! Where'd ya go to college? I went to Miami U. of Ohio--had a few buds from TN, too! Is that where you're originally from?

 
At 7:28 AM, Blogger Anne said...

I guess it must be intersting to ready for an endurance event and NOT have to worry about the weather. Good luck on Saturday!

 
At 8:24 AM, Blogger E-Speed said...

we got the wind and rain last night.

Ohio gets pretty bad tornadoes sometimes in the spring too.

Nothing since I have been in Cleveland though.

 
At 10:29 AM, Blogger Legs and Wings said...

Hey Rae, always such good posts!

We get nailed with nor'easters and the odd hurricane. I've never seen a tornado ('cept for the movie Twister and that looked pretty fake). I can imagine it would be pretty scary with such intense weather.

Good luck on the stairs. Take care.

 
At 11:45 AM, Blogger onepinkfuzzy said...

good luck on the stairclimb!

we actually have semi-stormy weather this week! johnny washed the car, and then it rained the next day - the first time in MONTHS. figures.

 
At 11:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lookin' good there, Cousin It.

We get the odd tornado once in a while. It takes one heck of a storm though.

Good luck with the stair climbing!

 
At 12:09 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

That was some wicked-wild wind that we had! WOO-WE! I think you are right about the north and the lack of mobile homes... there is a direct correlation

Have fun with the stairs... bet you and Brent will have calf of steel!

 
At 2:07 PM, Blogger D said...

You guys seem to do a lot of traveling! I'd like to visit Portland - never been there.

Speaking of storms, on my way back from the Lincoln, NE marathon I did back in 2003, we missed a tornado by minutes...there was a toilet on the side of the highway among other debris. After the marathon, I went to the hotel room, showered, and hit the road. We took off, but decided to get a bite to eat before getting on the highway. Had we not stopped for those few minutes to grab food...who knows if we would have been driving right into it. That was the one of the scariest (and sorest) rides! (I don't like tornados or storms for that matter!) Good luck on your climb!

 
At 3:19 PM, Blogger David said...

Stair climbing is good stuff. I've never raced it but I love to take the stairs in my office building.

Re: PR (Project Runway) I was always a Daniel fans and liked his collection but I thought Chloe was exceptional with the dresses. Santino's line was disappointed at the show. It was a more "mature" show but it didn't wow me.

 
At 5:12 PM, Blogger Scott said...

Thank you Rae for just making my Friday night with the pics of Pippin in your last post. I practically spit my wine at my computer screen.

You guys are awesome. Ever been to Toronto?

 
At 6:07 PM, Blogger onepinkfuzzy said...

psst...7 hours isn't too far away...one of last year's finishers was from Murfreesburo! (sp?)

(yes, this is totally unrelated to your post...in response to your comment re: Sugar and Spice)

 
At 8:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We've got stroms here in L.A. tonight...lots of crazy rain which means no one will be able to drive!

And I have to agree about Portland-what a great city....

 
At 11:17 PM, Blogger CJ said...

Its a beautiful 32*C sunny day here. Hopefully it will be a lot cooler when I run the half marathon tomorrow morning.

 
At 7:28 PM, Blogger Danny said...

no tornados up here. or hurricanes. just snow. but a lot of it!

actually when i saw your picture i was thinking how amazing it was that we had the same weather up here. friday night was unbelievably windy! but then things seemed to have gone downhill for you guys, while it was 70 and sunny up here. best day since last year!

anyway, i don't remember knowing about this stair climb. i guess it's already happened, so i hope it went well!

 
At 3:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

23 posts! Wow! Here's another: I was pulling out of St. Thomas Hospital with right when the storm hit that part of Nashville on Friday. I live in FL 30 years, and it resembled hurricane gusts I'd seen in FL!

 
At 3:28 AM, Blogger Jack said...

Dang, I knew I should have sent the e-tickets sooner, I sure could have used y'all there yesterday!

 
At 8:32 AM, Blogger Mr. Excitement said...

"Good luck to everyone racing this weekend and especially Jack! He's running a marathon near his home in Germany."

Do they run their marathons on the wrong side of the road, or is that England?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home