Saturday, February 18, 2006

Snow! Snow! Snow!!

Finally, we got some real, honest to goodness, stick to the ground for more than 10 minutes, snow. Yeee haw!

But first, good luck to all the people racing this weekend. I know today Shore Turtle & Red Head Fangirl had a 2-mile race, Elizabeth was doing a 5K, Planeterry had a Half, and tomorrow Danny has a cross country race (4 miles?) and RunnerSusan has a half. I'm confident I left somebody out, so sorry if I did!

Our weather this week has been beyond Goofy. Very light snow Sunday and early Monday, all melted by lunch Monday afternoon. Still cool, but by Tuesday afternoon we're talking 50's! That day we ran in short sleeves and shorts! Wed also warm, and by Thursday afternoon we ran outdoors again - and it was 67! We did a fast 4, and averaged 8.43/mile overall for our four miles. YEAH!! I'm starting to get fast again and I **like** it! I had a hair appointment, so 4 miles was all we could fit in. Storms moved in Thurs night and it was 34 when I woke up to walk Pippin Friday morning. It's so strange to go from no coat, back to all the hats, coats, scarves, etc. They had said it might snow, and since I never tend to believe them I didn't. When I woke up at 8 this morning I peeked out the window and couldn't believe the ground was covered, and it was still falling. Yeah!! Brent and Pippin weren't as excited as I was.

We ate some oatmeal and headed out for our scheduled 8 mile run. We've never gotten to run in more than just small flurries, so it was a lot of fun. I have an 8 mile path through the neighborhood where you do very little repeats and double-backing, so we went that way. We ran at a slow pace, some of the snow was icier than others, and some parts of the sidewalk were totally clear. We carried our headphones but never turned them on, nature was our soundtrack! We headed out the front entrance of our subdivision and up the main road into a different subdivision with sidewalks. One guy was salting his driveway and gave us strange looks. Every .25 - .5 mile I'd have to stop to clear snow buildup from my Mizunos. They are NOT snow shoes!! Some of the road slush was pretty deceiving when crossing roads, so my feet were pretty wet the whole run. From this subdivision we head up, loop through the small neighborhood park and then up a rolling .5 mile hill where we turn around and come back down the hill. Snow was falling the whole time and heading up the hill was miserable. It was straight in our eyes and the snow was mixed with ice and really stung. I was so glad when we got to turn around and go DOWN the hill. This was the first time we got to see our footprints in the snow and it was so cool! Our stride length is very similar, and I could tell I was really pronating today. I already knew I was because I could feel a twinge in my hip, but I think the slicker surface was making me compensate with increased pronation. We ran back up the main road, enjoying the sights of all the kids sledding at the middle school. From there we ran to our usual hospital track and did 1 1-mile lap and just a portion of another before turning to head home to complete our 8 miles. We passed a couple walking their dogs and they said "great day for a jog!" and I said "yes, it's a great day!" I tried to wave and smile for most of the cars we saw, and I really enjoyed the shocked looks people gave us when they realized we MEANT to be out there. Someone else ran on the sidewalk while we were at the hospital track, we saw their footprints on the return trip back. Some of our earlier footprints had already been really filled back in, and when we got back home all the footprints from earlier were completely erased. Our overall average was 10.44/per mile, but time didn't matter today. It was all about fun and we FOR SURE accomplished that. (Our Fuel Belt bottles were a bit frozen though....)










We tried to get Pippin to play in the snow but we was SO not interested. He was pretty disoriented and shaking like a leaf so we took him back inside. Our daffodils has started blooming in all the warm weather this week, I don't think they're going to survive this though.










But, he has enjoyed eating the snow off our shoes.

Have a great weekend!! It's 22 degrees now!! Crazy! It was 27 when we ran this morning, and it just keeps falling!

24 Comments:

At 3:08 PM, Blogger ShoreTurtle said...

Hurray for snow! I'm glad that you posted the photos or else I wouldn't have believed you. Very cool! I read something about duct taping the inside of running shoes to close up the air holes. It sounded goofy to me.

 
At 3:40 PM, Blogger Simba's Mom said...

Congrats on getting some real snow!! Finally!

 
At 3:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

no offense to my other running couply friends, but at this moment you guys are about the cutest running couple. i mean, you're so cute i don't even want to vomit at all of your togetherness :) yes, you're that cute. happy trails!

 
At 4:34 PM, Blogger jeanne said...

What fun!! great photos! The weather has been similar here too; warm one day, freezing the next. I never know what running outfit to bring to work, so i bring everything.

Isn't running in the snow FUN?!

 
At 5:04 PM, Blogger Tammy said...

Bbbbbrrrrrrrr! You can HAVE it!

So, was the refrigerator snowman liberated? :)

 
At 5:07 PM, Blogger Danny said...

i guess if you look really closely, there is some snow there! ;-)

actually, during the midst of the snowstorm while i was trying to get my car out, some guy ran by in the middle of the street. (the sidewalks were buried) i couldn't get my camera out fast enough, but i admired his dedication.

my race *was* 4miles, but they changed it to 4K, or 2.5 miles. Now I'm glad since it will be freaking cold out there! It was 56 degrees yesterday, 30 by lunch today, and 19 tonight (feels like 3)! luckily the race isn't at 9 (17 feels like 5), but rather at 12:30 (27 feels like 16).

too many numbers... i'm bringing a first timer tomorrow (remember my friend F?) and i hope the cold weather doesn't end her career after one race!

 
At 5:27 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Nice pics of the snow Rae. I love to run in the snow as well, but do not get a chance that often. We had one snowfall in December and I was injured and could not run in it. Maybe we will get another one before Spring shows up.

 
At 5:28 PM, Blogger onepinkfuzzy said...

Sweet!!! That's so awesome! I haven't gotten to experience that yet - running in the snow. It's an experience I can't wait for! (yeah, moving out of the desert might help:) )

 
At 6:04 PM, Blogger BuckeyeRunner said...

Yikes! It looks so cold! This is what I am in store for tomorrow when I do my 10. It is freezing here!!

When I had my Mizunos, that happened to me too- snow piling up in that little hole in the heel!

 
At 7:40 PM, Blogger Dawn - Pink Chick Tris said...

We finally have snow that's lasted more than 5 minutes as well. They say more is on the way next week. Not sure I wanna cheer considering how cold it has been...lol.

 
At 7:41 PM, Blogger Dawn - Pink Chick Tris said...

Oh yeah forgot to mention.. the snow and mud build up was a reason I gave up on my mizunos. I now wear Brooks but for other reasons as well.

 
At 7:57 PM, Blogger Trisaratops said...

YAY! Running in snow is so much fun. I like to hear it crunch. Pippin is so cute! :)

 
At 8:21 PM, Blogger Cliff said...

Now that's a frozen cap :).

Pippin = one unhappy pup....

I will be braving the snow tomorrow..glad u enjoyed it :D

 
At 9:28 PM, Blogger Cory said...

Nice, balmy twenties, eh, Rae rae? It's 7 here. Kinda glad I don't wheelchair race anymore. Single digits really messes with one's lungs.

Kinda makes me miss living in vuh-MAWWWNT, though. (Just checked WCAX-Burlington's website; it's 0 deg F in Burlington, VT. WOOOOEY!)

Have fun. Sleep in warm PJ's.

 
At 10:55 PM, Blogger Darrell said...

Looks like a fun run. I'm glad you enjoyed it so much, too bad Pippin didn't feel the same way.

I agree with you about the hats... just too hot most of the time.

 
At 12:36 AM, Blogger CJ said...

And we're sweltering in summer heat and finding it really difficult on long runs! Mind you, I am not looking forward to Winter - I love summer, just not when I'm running :-)

Sounds like a fun run though!

 
At 1:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like fun! Pippin looks so funny with his tongue sticking out :-D

 
At 9:16 AM, Blogger Jack said...

Running in the snow is fun (but not ice). Gosh the temperature changes fast in your area - how do you ever know what to wear when you run!

 
At 10:02 AM, Blogger Iron Jayhawk said...

What a fantastic run! Running in the snow can be fun (though, it can also be obnoxious with freezing water bottles and snow getting inside your shoes).

I think you've motivated me to go out this afternoon along the lakefront. :) Thanks!!

 
At 7:06 PM, Blogger Johnny Lyons said...

Growing up in northern NewYork and living in the desert now, I definitely miss days like that. I'm glad you guys enjoyed it so much and shared it with us.

 
At 11:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pippin is so cute in his little coat!

 
At 5:32 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

we didn't quite get all the fun snow that you did out west, but you were right... it lasted for more than 10 minutes! Some of the snow lasted until Sunday!

Thanks for the mention on the half! I am writing a race report very soon!

 
At 7:19 AM, Blogger KT said...

What a fun post. Kind of brings back those kid feelings of playing in the snow. Go, you!

That first pic is an absolute classic.

 
At 11:22 AM, Blogger E-Speed said...

OMG! You guys are sooo cute! (Pippin too!)

I love all your winter pics! Now if I can only get my hubby to indulge me in fun wintery pics of ourselves :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home