Friday, February 10, 2006

The Blizzard of 06!

Yeah, you read that right! We just may have a blizzard on our hands. Or as we call it in the South 3-5 inches of snow. There are constant shots of the line of 6 snowplows Nashville owns on the news and reporters covering the stash of road salt constantly. They were even salting our 'burb yesterday afternoon. I bet there's some sort of commission program with the weather forecasters and our grocery stores where they get some sort of cut on bread and milk sales during today. This one may have some merit, though. The National Weather Service issued a winter weather watch yesterday, and even Good Morning America mentioned the snowstorm that will give us a couple of inches and the Northeast a foot. It's supposed to start this evening, so we'll see. Normally I would be thrilled but this time I'm just not. A) We were in Miami less than two weeks ago and the sun on my bare skin felt incredible. Much better than itchy sweaters. B) There's this 5K we're signed up for on Saturday am and it would be much easier to complete sans snow. I was already worried about not being in top 5K form, so let's just throw some snow and ice in there to really add some fun! Of course we don't have Yaks, there was really no point for me to ever buy some (even though I do think they're pretty cool.) The race sute says it will be held rain, snow or shine so this could get interesting! AND, since the race comes with free NHL hockey tickets for Sat night we will be there! They didn't hold the race last year since there was no hockey season, but the year before had over 800 participants. It also has a 1 mile fun skate (rollerblades). The last Preds game we went to was during the last actual season, during the playoffs. The playoff series was tied and the game we went to ended the Preds season. Bummer. Hopefully we'll have better luck at this game! (But I doubt our seats will be anywhere near as good!)

The snow should start later this afternoon. I'll keep you posted!!

17 Comments:

At 10:13 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

They are giving us a generous 2-4 inches in East Tennessee. Of course with the 1" or so from Wednesday night, some schools were still closed.

I have to run 12 Saturday morning and I just hope that it IS snow, at least it's not as miserable as cold rain.

We saw Preds vs. Blue jackets back in 2001, I think, we were in the rafters, but they were good seat nonetheless.

 
At 10:29 AM, Blogger Simba's Mom said...

I hope you are posting from home! It is not safe to have to commute home in these conditions!! Good luck dealing with the blizzard. I am hopeful there will be photos.

 
At 10:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Will the City have the running area clear of snow by 10:00 am ?
I am coming in from out of town.

 
At 11:20 AM, Blogger ida said...

Better get Pips a scarf and (4) gloves!

 
At 11:21 AM, Blogger ida said...

Better get Pips a scarf and (4) gloves!

 
At 11:55 AM, Blogger E-Speed said...

if it's anything like the huge "storm" we were supposed to get hit with last week you won't have any trouble in your 5k!

 
At 12:35 PM, Blogger Cory said...

When I lived in semirural Vermont, black ice was a huge problem. Down here in Pennsylvania, it seems not to be.

It snowed a few days ago, but today, nothin'. 2/3 of the inch or so we had melted. I'm enjoying this year while it lasts, though. I take to cold waaaaaaay better than humidity. And I gets me some hummidity each and every year here, and summer will be here before we know it.

As far as hockey, I'm rather ignorant. Took me til today to figure out what a "Pred" was. I forgot Nashville even got a team. I'm stuck in the 80's when the Whalers existed (yes, folks, Hartford on the major league map).

I'm holding out for soccer. Go MetroStars. Errr, I mean, Nashville Metros (actually, they might've folded).

Anyhow, keep them legs loose. The one thing I hate about cold weather is how it tightens the muscles.

Ciao!

 
At 12:53 PM, Blogger Cliff said...

a slow pace and a focus on your footing will get u to the finish line (and the hockey game).

 
At 12:58 PM, Blogger Liz said...

The snow has started...I saw them salting yesterday too...

I am from Michigan so this is nothing...other than the people that are afraid to drive in the snow because they have never driven in snow.

I can't wait to take the girls out in it tomorrow!

Good Luck at the race. If the PRedators were playing the Red Wings I would be there too! :)

 
At 1:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

have fun at your race. just think how hard core you are going to be running in the blizzard...

 
At 4:34 PM, Blogger jeanne said...

roller blades? on snow and ice? now that could be fun to watch!
good luck, have fun!

 
At 5:49 PM, Blogger onepinkfuzzy said...

but it will be an adventure!

 
At 5:50 PM, Blogger Dawn - Pink Chick Tris said...

What's snow????? *ducks and runs*
Have fun at the race and enjoy the game.

 
At 3:10 AM, Blogger CJ said...

For those of us who don't experience snow, what exactly are Yaks? I'm assuming you're not talking about the animal variety!

Good luck for the 5km - did it end up snowing?

 
At 7:39 AM, Blogger ida said...

I'll bet you are slogging through the snow right now-- hope you had a great race!

What sort of treadmill do you have?

 
At 2:21 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I hope the 5K went well and it was sans snow.

I hear you about some elitist comments and being annoyed by them. I have to admit that my "why stop there" post was in response to some comments that really annoyed me, not from the same author who posed the "why stop there" question on his blog, but by others through reading some of my other fav blogs. So the "why stop there" question was really posed as a challenge to those people.

I hope the memories from your 1st marathon have not completely faded away yet. My 1st was my most memorable and also the one I consider my greatest achievement. Alright I will stop rambling now.

 
At 4:57 PM, Blogger David said...

We're getting some cold weather by Monday (20s and 30s at night) but no snow.
Today was nice though - mid 70s. I did some yard work.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home