Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Warning: Don't mix treadmills and American Idol!

Hey guys!! Just a couple more days and then.....Miami! Bring it!! I have one last run to do, which sounds so strange! I just finished up a 5 miler on the treadmill a few minutes ago. I wasn't in the mood to run right after work, Brent had somewhere to be tonight and I just didn't want to run alone. (Three local college girls were recently run over by a moron while they were running and I'm sick of battling traffic alone for a little bit.) I worked on my running mix for Miami and then headed upstairs to the dreadmill. I was flipping through and score.....American Idol! I won't even pause for a second once they're past the auditions with the terrible singers. I sat through even bad high school talent shows in high school, I don't plan to spend my adult life watching them on TV! We've seen some of the auditions this season (does it come on every night, all night or something? I think it's always on!) and I think Simon is funnier than ever. Some of the things he said tonight nearly sent me flying off the back in giggling hysterics. Seriously, what are some of these people thinking? One guy hit this insane pitch that literally woke Pippin up. (He hops up on the sofa in our upstairs and snores away next to me while I'm on the treadmill. NOT inspiring, I tell ya!) Pippin's head spun around in all sorts of unnatural positions until the dreadful sound ended and he promptly went back to snoring. Anyway, it did make the time pass by very quickly!

Brent got our suitcases down today and I worked on my running mix tonight. If any of you have any great running suggestions let me know!

Want to know my favorite dumb coworker question of the week? "So how long is this marathon?" Hmmm.....it had better be 26.2 miles like every other marathon. I also had a different coworker say a marathon is something he has always wanted to do, but if he ever trained for one he would only run half the distance in training because he wouldn't want to run anywhere near 26 more than once. Well, I'd say he'd have a pretty hard time running it ONCE if he never got in the vicinity of 26! I guess people who have never run ONE mile don't have any clue what it's like to run 26.

For everyone who has asked how we know how many hits we have, etc we use www.extremetracking.com. It's the little planet icon at the bottom of my blog. It tells you local, time, how they got there, their search words, etc. It's VERY interesting. How else would I know someone got to my blog today by searching for "turn wife into hot wife pics". Obviously, another search successfully ended! If you can't figure out how to get extreme tracking to work on your blog just let us know and we'd be more than happy to help!

See ya!

Rachel

Exercise-
Mon - no am walk (STILL raining), 30 minutes elliptical, 40 minutes toning/stretching focus:abs & upper body
Tues - 1 mile am walk with Pippin, 5 mile evening treadmill run

25 Comments:

At 8:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, yeah, sorry about that search. I couldn't remember the address for your blog. ;-)

What's already on your running mix?

 
At 8:12 PM, Blogger About Me: said...

hurrah! congrats. the days before a marathon are so consuming with thoughts of the marathon. not trying to get you to just do that, just talking about my own neuroses

anyway, enjoy week of the taper and look forward to the race report!

 
At 8:58 PM, Blogger Iron Jayhawk said...

Hello, my name is Barbara...and I'm addicted to American Idol.

:hides head in shame:

I *didn't* run when I got home from work BECAUSE I had to watch AI. I'm such a reality tv whore. Such sad times.

I had a hard time nailing down my marathon mix...it ended up being way too long...but here's some of my favorite's...

Self - Marathon Shirt and Patty Cake (they're from Murfreesboro, actually!)
Gwen Stefani - Hollaback Girl
U2 - Where the Streets Have No Name
Franz Ferdinand - just about anything by them...
Smashing Pumpkins - 1979
Tommy - Pinball Wizard

And a truly random assortment of rap songs that I'm too embarrassed to share here because I'm not known as a rap listener. So I'll spare you... ;) But whatever makes you run your buns off and psyches you up, that's what should be on your mix...

You are soooo going to rock miami. I'm looking forward to the report!

 
At 9:27 PM, Blogger lainb said...

I'm watching American Idol right now too. There are some CRAZY FUNNY people on there!! That one chick that said, "I want this more than a bag of gummy bears" cracked me up! lol

 
At 11:29 PM, Blogger Kim said...

I did my run to AI tonight too. I actually had to get off when the one guy said he had used Randy & Paula's singing DVD as his coach. Simon was cracking up and I just couldn't maintain my speed I was laughing so hard.
And BTW, I did get Extreme Tracking working a few weeks back when you sent me the info. It's pretty neat. And very easy to setup. I haven't gotten any fun searches yet though. :(
Can't wait to hear about your race. You're gonna do awesome!

 
At 3:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoy the taper and good luck in Miami! I was surprised by the questions and comments about marathons that I got from non-runners too. I think that's why I enjoy running blogs so much - finally, people who understand!!

 
At 5:07 AM, Blogger Simba's Mom said...

I can't believe Miami is almost here! I am so excited for you. Here are a few running song suggestions:

Eye of the Tiger

How Bad Do you Want it (oh, wait, that's country, sorry)

Push It (Salt and Pepa)

I also listen to alot of showtunes (Hairspray, Wicked, etc), but if that's not your thing, I don't think you'd like it.

 
At 5:18 AM, Blogger Kurt in Boston said...

I've had several people ask how far some particular marathon is, but the one that bugs me the most is, "Oh, are you going to run Boston?". (Grrrr)

My favorite though was last Fall. My wife was driving around with a (really lame) realtor and happened to mention that I ran marathons. "Oh, we have a marathon here in Boston!". (Gee, really?)

 
At 7:10 AM, Blogger Hilda said...

This days I've realized how lucky I am to be able to run in the hotel which has a periphery of 2.6 miles. I am safe from dogs, traffic an strange people.
There's so much to learn for me from blogger that I don't know how could you help me... is there a page where I could learn?

 
At 7:36 AM, Blogger ida said...

You should post your marathon mix. I'd love to see it!

My mixes have a ton of rap too, but in addition to the Madonna, Kelly Clarkson, Mariah Carey, and Gwen Stefani tracks (ahem), I also like these random songs:

"Sinnerman" by Nina Simone

"Somewhere Over the Rainbow" by Israel Kamakawiwo'ole

"Amen" by The Soul Stirrers

"Beyond the Sea" by Bobby Darin

"How to Save a Life" by The Fray

"My Doorbell" by The White Stripes

"I Summon You" by Spoon

"Midnight Train to Georgia" by Gladys Knight

"Where's Your Head At" by Basewment Jaxx

 
At 7:39 AM, Blogger Cliff said...

Ha, that's funny.

You should ahve reply to your co-worker with.."this ain't any other marathon..this one is 26.2 miles".. :)

Have fun on your marathon.

 
At 10:39 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I currently have 123 songs in my running rotation... how many are you looking for?

I laughed out lodu at AI (guilty pleasure) at the one guy at the end doing michael jackson and he messes up and says in a deep voice "oh, crap"

or Randy's "Dude, that song would have taken 2 hours for you to finish..."

 
At 11:46 AM, Blogger Tiggs said...

Hey Rach-

Running songs that are a *must* for me would be:

Run It- Chris Brown
Lose Yourself- Eminem
#1- Nelly

there are more, but those are good ones to add if you don't have them :)

 
At 3:06 PM, Blogger April Anne said...

My all time favorite running song is ‘Beautiful Life” by Ace of Base. Sure, it’s corny—but I love it and it makes me run fast!! Best of luck with your race. You will do awesome!

 
At 4:54 PM, Blogger Trisaratops said...

Have fun in sunny Miami! :)

 
At 6:06 PM, Blogger D said...

You are so close. Getting the suitcases ready...I'm excited w/you!

Yeah, I lost count years ago of how many people ask, "now how far is that marathon?" Duh.

 
At 8:17 PM, Blogger jeanne said...

The ones I love are the people who say "Oh yeah, my brother-aunt-cousin-granny-infant daughter ran boston last year" when I say I ran a marathon. I'd rather get your question!

Can't wait to read your recap! Have a terrific time; you're gonna smoke 'em!

 
At 4:27 AM, Blogger BuckeyeRunner said...

I'm so excited for you!! Here are some songs that I like:
Aive (Pearl Jam. I always tune into it at the end of the mara. It's awesome)

Ready to Run (Dixie Chicks)

Rocky 4 Soundtrack (some great tunes for racing/training)

My Hero (Foo Fighters)

No Sleep til Brooklyn (Beastie Boys)

Don't Stop (Red Hot Chili Peppers)

I have so many more, but must stop here. Whats on you Runnin Playlist??

 
At 4:28 AM, Blogger BuckeyeRunner said...

That should read "Alive"

 
At 7:41 AM, Blogger E-Speed said...

Good Luck! You are going to do great!

 
At 7:45 AM, Blogger E-Speed said...

oh and boiled pnut is right on with basement jaxx wheres your head at.

i also like Underworlds song born slippy

 
At 10:27 AM, Blogger David said...

Don't forget the Body Glide. It's hotter down here than it is in Nashville - mid 60s to start on Sunday.
Packing for a marathon. How much is clothing and how much is food?

 
At 4:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hae, Rae---

What a groovy little feature, that tracking thing. Especially with the search queries. Is yours a paid one, or one of the freebies, may I ask? I think I understood the website, though I was a bit awkward in navigating it. But it seemed to indicate that the search strings was a freebie.

 
At 6:45 PM, Blogger ShoreTurtle said...

Hey Rae. I'd suggest anything by the fat boys. Also, marky mark and the funky bunch.

 
At 10:11 PM, Blogger Darrell said...

If I only had a dollar for everytime I've been asked that. I could at least pay the registration fee for the next one!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home