Thursday, January 12, 2006

TGI Almost Friday!

I'm SO glad tomorrow is Friday. This week has literally lasted forever. It seems like ten million years ago that my boss was on vacation. One week with him is like five hundred years in prison. Tonight as I was doing some blog reading I ended up on one of JT's recent posts about things you wish you could say at work. So many of them apply to what I want to say at work that it's hard to even pick a few. Many times this week I've wanted to turn to my boss and ask "Did you hire me to do finance stuff or to be a marriage counselor?" He's repeatedly talked this week about how his wife USED to be fun, and next time around he plans to marry someone who would be fun. He goes on and on about how she sleeps with the kids now and is always on his back. My coworkers and I talk about it and have decided we don't blame her! If I lived with him life wouldn't be fun either! He's so completely random. He constantly rolls in to work at 8:30, 9:30, etc as a result of oversleeping (he's 45 - I would think you'd have the hang of it by then). Today he had an 8 am meeting. I KNEW how this would end. I get there at 7.30, and of course he wasn't there. 8 am rolls around, he's not there. The person who he was to meet with came looking for him and asked my boss's boss if he had seen him. Nope. I'm loving it because I am evil. About 10 after 8 my boss rolls in and the other guy is still talking to the boss's boss. My boss walks by and says "Oh good, there you are." AS IF! We all knew he just walked in, why even pretend like you had been looking somewhere for him. Perhaps he got confused and thought the meeting was in the parking lot. I did get a pretty big break from him yesterday as he had more doctor's appointments. Over the last 6 months he's had vertigo (that was a nice 5 day break!), numerous viral infections and sinus infections, asthma, the flu, stomach bugs, bronchitis, etc. This time we were back to asthma. I did want to be a total smart ass and tell I thought I knew what he had and it was something called hypochondria but he's such a smart ass he would know what that meant.

Anyway, enough about Mr Fun Times. On to running! The taper this week isn't a huge change. I'm just going from 45 miles to 35 miles, so the only difference was a 3 mile run eliminated from Sunday and my long run this Sat will "only" be 12 miles. Yeah!! I haven't had a long run that "short" since early November so I'm pretty excited. Wed night we came home, changed really quickly and started our run before dark. Since it appears the blinking and reflective things we wear only seem to serve as a target for a-hole drivers it was nice to get through the tricky part of our run before dark. We did 6 miles, the same route as Tues night. I DID wear my marathon shorts, with a bag of Cliff Bloks in the pocket. They worked great! We ended up doing the 6 in an average 9 min/mile pace, which is pretty fast for me lately. There were no random attacks from the woods and everything went great! Tonight we headed to the gym and I ran in full marathon outfit. I swear it was 110 degrees in there. I was sweating like a pig, and the only other person on a treadmill had to be walking at the minimum speed. She was wearing sweatpants and not even breaking a sweat. She was using the arms of the treadmill to support herself while she really focused on the magazine she was reading....what's the point really?

No other exercise news to report around here! Good luck to everyone racing this weekend in Arizona and Houston! Good luck to Tammy doing her first marathon and to Elizabeth who will also be in Arizona doing the half and cheering for Tammy! Good luck to Cassie and Manny in Houston doing the half and Dirt Runner Rick doing the whole Houston Marathon!!! I can't wait to read the race reports!!!!!

13 Comments:

At 9:07 PM, Blogger Cliff said...

With your boss, you should have replied with "well it doesn't matter if u marry another...it is not your wife that is the prob, it is whom she married, that's the prob." :)..oh i am too evil.

Thanks for dropping me a comment on my post. Hmm.this summer will be fun for sure. Tri tri tri.

 
At 9:43 PM, Blogger Hey Zeus said...

Next time Mr. Fun goes out on a sickness you guys should send him all the recycled magazines. Tell him to come back to work when he's finished reading them. He'll be gone so long that they will have to put him on long term disability.

 
At 4:09 AM, Blogger BuckeyeRunner said...

Geez! How did that guy ever become your boss?? He sounds like a complete train wreck!

(I shouldn't talk, my boss isn't much better...hee hee)

 
At 6:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a co-worker that sounds similar. If it's a normally slow day, she'll come in through the back and avoid walking past the boss's office when she's late. And if it's normally a hectic day and everyone's in the back, she'll come in the front door and act like she was on time. Because she's so clever and we'll never know.

Until I bother to look to see when she logged onto her computer. So, one minor flaw in her plan.

No random attacks? Boring!

 
At 6:42 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Your boss sounds like the guy from Office Space. As long as he doesn't interfere with your running...

Oh, the taper, one of those weird quirks about running... let's cut back our running to have the best run ever... counterintuitive but makes all the difference! Good luck on your marathon (I'm too new, but it's Miami?)

 
At 7:56 AM, Blogger ShoreTurtle said...

You and brent have the best work stories! I'm (almost) jealous. I miss out on a lot of the chaos at my work. I'm in my own little web world.

I did bring to work my "Mr. T in your pocket" keychain which was a gift from my awesome wife. As the package says, it has six helluva tough guy says. My favorite is "Quit your Jibba Jabba!"

 
At 11:09 AM, Blogger E-Speed said...

uggh so glad I have a good boss!

glad the shorts worked out. hopefully all that sweating didn't stink up your race outfit ;)

 
At 3:58 PM, Blogger Hilda said...

You write in such a funny way, that this tragedy at work, appears to be like a joke here thanks,
Why is there always something about the boss??

So you have to run in the dark, sorry to hear that...
I'll check those blogs to see about first marathoners, thanks to let know.

 
At 7:48 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Enjoy the 12 mile long run.

 
At 9:19 AM, Blogger Tammy said...

Thanks for the luck! And may I just say.... LOVE the new header. It totally rocks!!!!!! Did Okola do that? (I didn't read your post yet, so maybe you say there... just had to say I love the header!)

 
At 12:21 PM, Blogger David said...

Your boss sounds like a very sorry man. No focus on work, home or health. This may sound strange but, for your own good, you should ask him if he'd like to go for a run one day. He needs something positive to happen.
Yeah, I know; Rae is a hard-ass but there are times to show who's on the high road.
Have fun on the 12-er. My 13 today were almost too easy.

 
At 5:48 PM, Blogger RedheadFangirl said...

Guess what I'm training for a 2 mile run! My little bite sized run compared with the big Rachel M! It's been raining for days here, but maybe I'll train with shoreturtle soon.
I once had a coworker who would leave early for a "smoke break". Another co-worker said, "but you don't smoke!" His answer- "should I be punished?"

 
At 6:01 PM, Blogger Tiggs said...

thanks Rae!!!!


Ok- no joke here- the word verification it is asking me to type is:

fokker

 

Post a Comment

<< Home