Saturday, January 21, 2006

The best plans....

Hey guys! How's the weekend going??? We've had......better.

Thursday night we did a 6 mile run outdoor. Not really wanting to deal with traffic we did 4 laps at the hospital and then the mile to and from our house to make the course 6. I had had a work induced headache all day, so we took the pace nice and easy. It was a chilly night, but beautiful. The stars were out in full force and in the lesser lit areas of the path you could really enjoy them. As we got moving I felt my form strengthening and just enjoyed the feeling of a good run. It was even nice to see the annoying woman was walking her enormous lab on a leash! Score to us. Once we were warmed up we picked up our pace on each lap, and finished in less than an hour (by a few minutes.)

Friday is a rest day, and we were pretty lazy so we didn't do much last night. We went out to eat at a local restaurant that has the BEST cheese biscuit/muffins. They're shaped like little muffins and have the lightest, meltiest taste. We ordered a half dozen for an appetizer and I also had an awesome Greek salad with my meal. When I went to get my second biscuit I noticed there was only one left!! Brent had eaten the rest of our half dozen. So beware, he's a biscuit stealer. I had the baked BBQ chicken and we ended up absolutely, grossly stuffed. We came home, relaxed on the couch and watched Project Runway from earlier in the week. It was nice to just kick back and do NOTHING.

This morning I set my alarm for 7.30, got up at 8.30 and then heated some water up for our pre-run oatmeal. Today's run was to be 8 miles, so I only ate one packet of oatmeal. Too strange!! Just as we sat down for breakie Brent howled out in pain. Major neck spasm. That was around 9 am and he's been in pain ever since. I tried to massage it out, no luck. He tried a hot shower, no luck. We got the heating pad out and he's had that on his neck ever since. About this time my stomach decided that BBQ chicken was not a good thing. And man, it was not a good thing. I went out for my run, not really feeling too good and worried about Brent at home. When I left Pippin was sitting an inch from his foot, staring intently at him. I had visions of Pippin jumping in B's lap when I left and mercilessly licking his face with poor, defenseless B unable to move.

I ran out from our house, and up about .6 miles to a newer subdivision with sidewalks. It has some fairly nice elevation to it, so it's a good training run. I ran through it, skidding through a big section of mud last night's rain had deposited on the sidewalk. Of course the weather today was sub par. As a result of last night's storm, the temps have been steadily falling tonight. It was 45 with a 'feels like' of 38 and annoying 13 mph winds. Blah. I was running in my Miami shorts, with my Miami shirt on under a long sleeve tech shirt. Once I was warmed up I felt fine, but I wished I had my earwrap on! I wore a cap just in case it rained, and some of the wind gusts were so strong and miserable I had to literally hold onto my hat. I am desperately sick of winter!! From this subdivision I had planned to run over to a subdivision with some serious hills, but right about this time I had round 2 of never eat the BBQ chicken again. I decided the smarter move would be to head over to the neighborhood park restrooms. So, at mile 2.3 I took a potty break. I instantly felt MUCH better (thank goodness for neighborhood parks - it's this small area with a few swings, a small Bskt Ball court, .25 mile walking track and a nice bathroom!!!). Instead of pressing my luck on some serious hills I headed up a stretch of sidewalk we rarely run. I ran it uphill to its end and then enjoyed the downhill back before I headed over to the hospital. I only had to do one lap at the hospital and then headed back home to make my 8 miles complete. I ran most of the run at marathon pace, and picked up the last 2 miles a bit. It was so strange when I realized this is my LAST long run before Miami!! Very weird. It made me strangely sentimental for the whole training process and all the blood, sweat and tears I've put into it. It's been a long, crazy road and it's hard to believe the marathon is just a week from tomorrow!

Waiting for me in the email box was a note from David. He was nice enough to scout out an Italian restaurant for our carb loading celebration in Miami. I can't wait!!

When I got back Brent was just where I'd left him. He's never had neck spasms like this, so I looked up on the internet what to do. Some people suggested icing, so we've tried that and he's asleep now in the bed. We've also done some icy hot and Aleve. If anyone has any suggestions let us know!

I think I may be the last person in the world to do their 2006 goals, so I may work on that in a bit. Have a great rest of the weekend and good luck to anyone who may be racing this weekend!

Rachel

Exercise-
Thursday - 1 mile am walk with Pips, 6 mile outdoor run w/Brent, 20 minutes toning/stretching focus: abs
Friday - 1 mile am walk with Brent and Pips
Sat - 8 mile run

15 Comments:

At 2:53 PM, Blogger onepinkfuzzy said...

Oh, man, sounds tough! Johnny gets neck spasms a lot. His way of dealing with them is getting really angry, spew all the cusswords that he knows, not move his head for the rest of the day and be miserable. I got them when I was a kid, and someone once told me that pinching the area should help. It never did, though. Okay, I'm not much help...sorry!

Yay! One week to go to Miami!!! How exciting!!!!

 
At 3:24 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Rae, I only got to follow along with the last couple months of marathon training, but I am excited for you that it is only a week away. Enjoy the week and get lots of sleep two days before the race. I know you will do great.

"4 laps at the hospital," eh! Sounds like a perfect place to go round and round.

 
At 4:11 PM, Blogger David said...

The fine in Tenneessee for stealing cheese biscuits is 12 hours of neck spasm.
An old wive's remedy to the spasm is to use your head as a stylus on a vertical pane of air and spell out the lower case alphabet in cursive.

 
At 5:41 PM, Blogger BuckeyeRunner said...

Sorry to hear about Brent's neck! I had a similar issue the week before last, and it SUCKS!!
It sounds like you are doing everything I did - heat and ibuprofen. Slow stretching if he can handle it. It should clear up in a few days or so. Good luck!
I can't believe Miami is 1 week away!

 
At 7:03 PM, Blogger Iron Jayhawk said...

Hang in there!! Hope that Brent starts feeling better and I'm sending lots of luck for Miami!!

Take it easy and rest up!

 
At 9:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

heya, thx for the note. i've seen you (and brent and pippin) around the blogoshpere. :) i hope brent feels better!

 
At 3:15 AM, Blogger CJ said...

I hope Brent is feeling better. Mr CJ had neck problems a few weeks ago and ended up going to the physio and having massages - he had pinched the nerve apparently.

Also I didn't realise the marathon was so close - you will have to let me know when its on and how you go. I am really looking forward to reading about how you go because you've really put in the hard work.

Oh and by the way, you've been tagged!

 
At 9:54 AM, Blogger Tammy said...

Ooo, looks like you're tapering! Are you just too excited? You are going to do sooooo great!!!!

Poor Brent. But he's a sneaky one, he might be faking... damn biscuit stealer. :)

 
At 10:14 AM, Blogger Jack said...

Gosh, remind me never to steal cheese biscuits in Tennesee, poor Brent! Wow, one week to race day, I can't wait to hear how you do. I'll be out running a 10K cross-country race about the time you will be getting up - I'll be thinking of you!

 
At 1:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post. I've just officially added you to my blog-list on my site!

 
At 3:04 PM, Blogger Tiggs said...

I've very excited for your first marathon. I'll be on the road for work starting the 29th, so I prob won't get to check in on you to see how it goes until a week later!!! Have a great race! I know you're gonna rock!

 
At 5:11 PM, Blogger RedheadFangirl said...

Sorry the biscuit stealer's neck was hurting. Tell him we say Yikes to that!
You will be such the redhead rock star at the M.

 
At 5:15 PM, Blogger Dawn - Pink Chick Tris said...

Hi!

Sounds like a rough run but you gotter done!

 
At 5:31 PM, Blogger Jon (was) in Michigan said...

I hope you worked out those neck spasms. I get them occassionally along my trapezious. The only thing that worked was to grab onto something very heavy with the arm on the affected side, and pull like I'm trying to lift the heavy thing, but let my arm and shoulder be limp. It kinda stretches out my shoulder and next and pulls the spasm out. Hope your fella is doing better.

 
At 2:49 AM, Blogger Hilda said...

I don't know what exactly you mean with spams but I suffer of pain in my neck and back from a combination of bad position while sitting at the computer and running wich seems to put to much stress on them.
What I do is lots of weight excercises for neck and back.
Medicines helped only for minutes, what worked were the excercises.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home