Saturday, February 25, 2006

Tetanus?

Hey guys! Hope you're all having a great weekend. I completely forgot to wish Running Jayhawk good luck on her Hustle up the (Hancock) Tower this weekend. Good luck!

On Thurs night I did 40 minutes of very light yoga, making sure that nothing hurt my foot. It felt great to do SOMETHING, and I think some of the stretching helped. So yesterday I went to the doctor. Every day my foot has felt quite a bit better than the day before, but considering I a)pay out the wazoo for health insurance every month and haven't been to the doc since October 2003 and b)hey! it gets me out of work for a couple of hours I decided to make an appointment and go. I checked in at the doctor's office, was complimented on my hair and then waited to see the doc while they brought in tons and tons of Chic-fil-a. Man, I was hungry! (My appt was at 10.45). I waited and waited and then got to go back. The nurse had to use the child size blood pressure band on my arm because the other two were waaay too big. (Note to self, LIFT MORE WEIGHTS!) I told her what had happened and then waited some more for the doc. He came in, we talked about the foot and then he had me move it several directions. He doesn't really think it's a stress fracture and is leaning towards tendonitis. He tried to get me in with a podiatrist that day, but couldn't. So he suggested doing some X-rays just to make sure it's not a stress fracture and told me to keep icing and resting. Then he sprang it on me - the standard list of questions used to update your file.

"So when was your last tetanus shot?"

"Ummm...let's see. I haven't had one since I got married, so there's 7 years. Maybe I had to have one before I left for college? So....nearly 11 years?"

"Would you be opposed to having one today?"

"Errr. I really wouldn't be excited about it, but if you think I need one."

So I got a tetanus shot. I think they must have had some expiring vaccines because the nurse who gave it to me said I was her 15th tetanus shot that day. Uh huh.

From the doc office I had to go over to the hospital next door (the same one we run around all the time) to have my X-rays done. I actually had to be admitted, and ended up with a little hospital bracelet. How exciting! I text messaged Brent that I was still at the doc (we had lunch plans) and he texted me back to take lots of pics for the blog. HA! I did get one outside photo of a limo and a Hummer (they know how to roll to the hospital in style) and one shot of all the smokers right outside the hospital. I was amazed at the sheer quantity of people smoking right outside the doctor's office and the hospital. Seriously people, get a clue! That is so incredibly disgusting. After I was admitted I was dropped off at the radiology section and a young girl took me back to the massive X-ray machine I had to climb on top of. She asked me how it happened and I could tell she wasn't a runner - AT ALL. She gave me very strange looks when I explained to her how it started hurting, and that I hadn't tripped, fallen, or had some sort of accident. "Overuse injury" seemed like a very foreign concept to her! She took several different pics of my foot and when I asked if the X-rays would be emailable so I could post them on my blog she gave me yet another strange look. (Sorry, no pics will be available of that!!)

It only took a minute or two and off I went to meet Brent for lunch. We had Mexican and were very amused to see a coworker at a neighboring table. He doesn't work in our division, but he was wearing our overall parent company ID badge. And he was enjoying a beer. At lunch. SO funny! He was having quite the meal, he finished it off with dessert. Maybe he was having a bad day!

Friday night we stopped at Best Buy to buy TurboTax and do some light shopping. Dinner was an ordeal. We stopped at a couple of restaurants that were just waaay to crowded for our taste and then decided to head to a local Laos restaurant that is much more cozy. We walked in right at 8 and the high school waitress asked "Are you here to eat?" "Uh, yeah." "I'm sorry, we close at 8 but we can do a to go order." "No thanks." Who closes at 8 on a Friday?? It was very frustrating. Every other ridiculous chain restaurant was packed so we headed home and grilled out some turkey burgers. They were great and we probably saved a ton of calories and about $30.

Can I just say how much I hate the stupid tetanus shot? By yesterday evening my arm was ACHING! Stupid stupid shot. Brent keeps making fun of me for being suckered into it. Me and wandering around in places where I might step on a rusty nail JUST DON'T HAPPEN! I stepped on a tomato stake in elementary school and ended up having to have portions of the splintered wood (surgically) removed from my foot, so I never go barefoot outside. Today my arm hurts worse than my foot! I like to sleep on my left side, so several times in my sleep last night I would start to roll that directions and would instantly wake myself up. Stupid stupid shot! I can hardly reach up to grab a glass from the cabinet today. grrrr!

Well, this post is probably longer than it needs to be already. In my next post I'll talk about being a spectator at this morning's 4 mile Fleet Feet Fun Run & our RBF meet-up with Steve (aka Christian Runner). It was very strange being on the other end of the race course. On our way over we were talking about how all of our RBF meet-ups have been in other places and how much fun it would be to meet someone locally. Ask and you shall receive! Brent is working on his race write-up so it will probably be up by the time I post this, so you can read Steve and Brent's accounts (as runners!) before I get my post up.

Have a great weekend!

Rachel

Exercise log -
Thurs - 40 minutes yoga (focus: thighs/abs)
Fri-rest

25 Comments:

At 1:32 PM, Blogger Hey Zeus said...

OK, the only reason to get a tetanus shot is if you are around cattle and they rub against barb wire and you do the same and cut yourself. Somehow Doctors have been pulling the tetanus shot thing for years. Has anybody died from that? I am the king of getting out of shots. I once passed on a shot to kill the pain while I had a wire removed from a tendon in my finger.(surgery) Well at least your good to go for the next 7 years.

 
At 1:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to see the photo turned out. It was good to meet you and Brent this morning at the Fleet Feet run.

I found out a number of years ago, if you can not tell the doctor when you had your last tetanus shot, you will get one. It is a good thing to remember.... My last one was in 2000, so I'm good for another 4 years! The shots hurt too much to forget.

 
At 2:23 PM, Blogger KT said...

Stupid tetanus shots. They do hurt like a mother.

My stress fracture never showed up on x-rays, but was loud and clear on a bone scan. That's easily another half day off work if they make you do that...:)

Sending more foot-healing vibes your way.

 
At 2:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cant wait for the official race reports! Hope the injury heals fast!

 
At 3:09 PM, Blogger Cory said...

A children's bp cuff? Oh geez.

Oh well, I'm sure skater Sasha Cohen has to put up with that sort of stuff, too. She's like, 4ft9 and rather slim.

 
At 3:48 PM, Blogger Trisaratops said...

OMG--I just got a pneumonia shot last week and my dumb left arm ached for 3 days!!!! I thought I was losing my mind...at least I know I'm not the only one! :) Hey, in case any rusty nails come flying your way, you're set for like 10 years, right? hee hee

 
At 3:53 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

There has to be some kind of freedom in knowing that if you wanted to you could go step on a rusty nail right now and just put a band aid on it and be good to go.

 
At 4:34 PM, Blogger Simba's Mom said...

Maybe the doc gave you the shot to distract you from your foot pain!

 
At 4:45 PM, Blogger Darrell said...

Hope the foot is at least feeling better. Bummer you had to sit out the race, but you still got pancakes!

One of my trainig partners had to have a bone scan to diagnose a stress fracture. More time away from work?

 
At 6:44 PM, Blogger Danny said...

since everyone else is confessing to their last shotm my last one was in 1999. i was a med student and was thinking about doing it myself, but in the end i let someone else do it. i remember it barely stung when i got it, but by the next day it hurt like a mother!! gotta stay away from those crazy doctors!!

i was laughing about brent wanting pics for the blog. i can't tell you how many times a day i think about things i'd like to photograph for the blog. although i don't document my entire life on the blog (mostly for fear of my mother!) i'm constantly thinking about it. check out this great shirt on cafepress!

 
At 7:00 PM, Blogger Beanie said...

The smoking outside the hospital is disgusting, as is the fuel-guzzling, gratuitous Hummer. YUCK!

Best of luck with the foot-healing!

 
At 7:53 PM, Blogger RedheadFangirl said...

Danny's comment was my own..you tell Brent, honey, I'm still at the doctor's office and he's like "ooh, take lots of pics!" Hilarious. The blogosphere mindset.. It used to be after my day I'd consider what to put in my blog, but now each moment, or meeting, or thought is...hmm, blogworthy?

Woo that's a sexy pic R! So what if your foot hurts when your a foxy redhead, right?

 
At 8:34 PM, Blogger Rich said...

Is that the down-dog pose that Pippin is showing off?

 
At 11:44 PM, Blogger CJ said...

It must be years since I had a tetanus shot but I do remember the feeling afterward - not nice. Hope the foot is feeling better and that you'll be back out pounding the pavement with Brent very soon (he is getting fast).

 
At 6:50 AM, Blogger Jon (was) in Michigan said...

OK, Pippin may be unimpressed but I'll say it. Damn, Rae looks smokin' doing the pretzel yoge thing. :)

And just to add to the list, I got my last tetanus shot in 2000 when I sliced my finger open at work. Shortly after that they made us all use "safety knives" with auto-retracting blades.

 
At 7:45 AM, Blogger Hilda said...

This morning it came to my mind that you mention on your post against this guy... that you lost about 30 pounds, that is awesome Rae, I will have to read your blog from the begining.
Hope you have the results quickly.

 
At 7:54 AM, Blogger D said...

Sorry about your foot. Shots suck. Have you received any confirmation from the doc on what it is that is ailing your foot? What happened w/homeless guy? (Obviously I have been slacking on the blog reading!)

 
At 7:58 AM, Blogger mouse said...

they made me get a tetanus shot when I went to the doctor last fall. what's weird is that when I went to the doctor the year before that they must not have asked me, because it's been like a gazillion years since I've had one and I go to the doctor every year (hi. i'm obviously a hypochondriac).

maybe they're pushing the tetanus shots hard this year because... well, I can't even think of a good reason.

 
At 8:28 AM, Blogger Cory said...

Cause they're TETANUSTASTIC!!!

 
At 11:27 AM, Blogger onepinkfuzzy said...

Hmm, I seriously don't ever remember getting a tetanus shot. I'm not saying I haven't. I just don't remember! It sounds too painful to have forgotten. Must have been awhile ago.

Funny that the x-ray girl had no clue what you were talking about! Both for the blog and the overuse injury. And the coworker having a beer at lunch - too funny. I need a camera phone :)

 
At 1:13 PM, Blogger BuckeyeRunner said...

How funny - a couple of weeks ago, when I went to get my neck checked out, the same thing happened to me!
"When was your last tetanus?" "Uh, like 10 years ago?"
"I think you should have a tetanus shot." "Uh, ok."
Weird, huh?

 
At 3:23 PM, Blogger Cory said...

Geez, I'm 30 and I feel like I know everything, usually. But now I feel like I need to document everything. I feel like the only person in the world (who isn't 8 years old) that is incapable of remembering when my last tetanus shot was, when my last eye appt. was, whether I got my eyes dilated at said eye appt.

I suppose I'm not alone, though.

 
At 4:10 PM, Blogger Tammy said...

I got hit up for a tetanus shot last time I went to the doc, too! but I passed on it. I think they made me sign a waiver about it, too. Reminded me of the car busines... "What? You don't want the extended warranty? Well, you must sign this waiver saying I offered and you declined so that if your car blows up, it's your own fault."

As for the tendonitis, if that's what it is, try to find someone who does active release therapy in your area. I have an IronWoman friend who SWEARS by it. Got her over the tendonitis and back running in DAYS.

 
At 8:33 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

qzz0706
toms shoes
polo ralph lauren
pelicans jerseys
lakers jerseys
michael kors outlet
y3 shoes
pandora charms
alexander mcqueen shoes
bottega veneta outlet
tory burch outlet

 
At 5:20 PM, Blogger jasonbob said...

balenciaga speed trainer
golden goose
supreme clothing
stone island
yeezy boost 350
bape clothing
adidas yeezy
jordan 11
supreme clothing
yeezy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home