Friday, April 21, 2006

Aaahhhh taper!

Hey guys!! TGIF! Yeehaw!! We've had a lot of rain the past two days, so our temps have cooled down a little, yeah!

It rained off and on Thursday and by the time we got home it was 72, a great improvement over the mid-upper 80's from earlier in the week! The plan was to run right after work.....except Brent had forgotten and left the lights on in the car all afternoon so the battery was dead. Blah. Long story short we both finally made it home and were tired but determined to get our run in. We started out and in short order Brent's foot was bothering him. With two big races coming up he called it quits and headed back home. I trudged on alone. I went through one hilly subdivision and managed to pick off one guy running. I think it bothered his manhood as he looked back at me quickly approaching a million times and then tried to pick up his pace when I approached. As if! =) He was toast and I kept on. As I headed out of that subdivision and towards the middle school I saw a familiar sight - Brent! He had gotten in the car and driven ahead of me with his camera. If I knew his foot was going to bother him and the session was going to turn into a photoshoot I would've worn my black shorts. They're so much more flattering! He took a few action shots and then I was off through a new subdivision. A minute or two later he was there, too! I was still pretty warm but trying not to look TOO dead kept me moving. I looped back past him and headed for the neighborhood park where a family of five was completely blocking the sidewalk. GRRR! The woman looked at me at LEAST 5 times but waited to tell her husband, who was totally putzing around on his bike, to move over right when I was on them. Shocked that anyone might be trying to move rapidly he was like a deer caught in headlights and ended up blocking the whole sidewalk. Moron. I changed direction quickly and gave them death looks as I kept moving towards their two boys on bikes. One of them matched my speed and I thought about sticking my foot out to knock him over. The other one was really nice and stopped completely - causing his smart ass brother to slam into him. Pile up! I told the other kid "thank you" really loudly and kept moving....only to meet Brent one last time! He took some pics of me running past the lone farmhouse left in suburbia (they could sell and make SO much money!). Finally I was headed back home! I was tired and hot and ready for dinner! I managed to pick up the pace and had a final full mile of 8.18, which I was really happy about! Overall I covered 6.4 miles at an avg pace of 8.32. I was pretty happy with that, esp since I did the same course two weeks ago at an average of 8.45. Not a huge difference but I'll take it.

Tomorrow we're just doing 8 miles (yeah taper!). I'm not sure what the weather will be like, probably rainy. It's been raining all day and we even took an after dinner walk in the rain. It started storming at 4 am this morning and kept us up until 5 so there was no way I was taking Pippin this morning, plus it was still storming at 5:30. All we had was thunder, lightning and massive rain, but Pippin's little purple pool is nearly half full! After tomorrow's 8-miler we're having massages. Perfect! We haven't been since December and it's SO overdue! It will be nice to get all the niggles out before Country Music Half next weekend.

That's all the news around here. Have a great weekend and good luck to anyone racing!

Rachel

Exercise-
Mon - 1 mile am walk with Pippin, 50 minutes Crunch Burn n Firm Pilates
Tues - 1 mile am walk with Pippin, 6.3 mile run
Wed - 2/3 mile am walk with Pippin (storms!), 50 mins toning/stretching
Thurs - 1 mile am walk with Pippin, 6.4 mile run
Fri - 1 mile evening walk with Brent and Pips

17 Comments:

At 10:57 PM, Blogger Iron Jayhawk said...

aww....what a great hubby you have to take lots of fun pics for you. :)

Gotta love taper weeks. You're going to rock at the CMM next weekend. ...a little rain can't stop you!

 
At 7:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck on your last "long run". Maybe I'll see you and Brent next week at the race....

 
At 7:32 AM, Blogger Legs and Wings said...

I'm glad it's cooled off a bit there. Sure makes running easier when the weather cooperates.

Great action shots by Brent. Enjoy your downhill taper and enjoy the weekend.

 
At 7:33 AM, Blogger Cory said...

You're always so animated n your pics. Good thing you have running and Pippin to work off that energy, else you'd be bouncing off the walls, methinks.

 
At 8:23 AM, Blogger ShoreTurtle said...

I liked the photo-journal. Brent got took some great shots.

Good luck with the taper... Have a great weekend!

 
At 8:46 AM, Blogger Cliff said...

I thought about sticking my foot out to knock him over.
haha so mean..u should have just push him over..if u stick out your foot, you might lose your pace :)

 
At 8:52 AM, Blogger Beanie said...

Great pics. The country roads make me envious. Good luck in your race!

 
At 9:45 AM, Blogger Dawn - Pink Chick Tris said...

You always look so happy when you run. Great stuff. Hope you're having an awesome weekend.

 
At 9:55 AM, Blogger Tiggs said...

great pics, but you look like you're in the middle of nowhere!!!!

 
At 12:36 PM, Blogger Hilda said...

I love those photos, if it is around your house, wooow it is a great place to run at!

Nice your are rising your pace, that is a huge accomplishment!!

 
At 1:12 PM, Blogger Anne said...

I get annoyed at sidewalk hogs too. Sounds like some justice was served with that family of five afterall. And this "last farmhouse in suburbia" is starting to take on mythic proportions!

 
At 2:15 PM, Blogger jeanne said...

Brent is a keeper! nice work on your run. I see the evil Rae came out for a bit..but those clods deserved her! (P.S. i don't think i've ever seen a BAD picture of you!)

 
At 2:39 PM, Blogger E-Speed said...

I need to learn how to take good running photos like you! Enjoy the taper!

 
At 2:47 PM, Blogger David said...

How come all of Brent's shots are of your backside, going away? Just curious. Maybe I should ask him instead, huh?
Nice to have a last blast of "cool" temps. We had record 90s in Florida last week.

 
At 6:21 PM, Blogger Scott said...

Beautiful countryside Rae. I'm all over your idea to run Boston together - how about 2009?

Love the candy bowl story. My office is just freakin pig central with respect to food.

 
At 2:33 AM, Blogger Jon (was) in Michigan said...

That one pic of you heading up (what looks like) a hill, reminds me of that "There is no finish line." ad from years ago. Rock on, Rae Rae.

 
At 1:25 PM, Blogger BuckeyeRunner said...

Yeah, taper! I love the pics. Everything is so green!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home