Saturday, August 18, 2007

We did it!

We did it, the 31 miles of the Ride Across Wilson County this morning, which I would like to rename as the Who the hell knew there were hills like this in Wilson County Ride. It was hot, it was hilly, and we had a lot of fun. And thank God we weren't last. At one of the aid stations a volunteer told us someone had a heart attack out on the course this morning, so hopefully they're doing ok. I saw several more people drop and get in SAG cars. The number of heat related deaths this week has been nuts.
The ride coincided with the Wilson County Fair, so we used our free admission passes right after and spent even more time in the insanely hot sun. Who wouldn't want to walk around a midway when it's 100 degrees+? There are many, many thing I learned this morning. Here are just a few until I have time to post my proper race report with pics from our fun day.

1) Brent is just plain more aerodynamic than I am.
2) It is possible to hit a bird on your bike, have it go through your spokes and stay upright.
3) Riding 31 miles is waaaay easier than running 31 miles.
4) A lot of cyclists have massive pick up trucks.
5) Wilson County has a lot of cows with stinky poo.
6) Apparently cyclists love Oatmeal Creme Pies. My dad should be a cyclist.
7) Having a road bike does not necessarily make you fast, but riding a hybrid amongst a throng of road bikes does make you bad ass.
8) Camels are incredibly pushy.
9) Fried pies aren't half bad.
10) Brent secretly wants to be a beekeeper.

That's it for now, time to blow my hair out and hit the town! Brent got a call from the art gallery asking if he could do two more pics so we need to hit the frame shop! Yeah for selling more art!

Cyclist extraordinare,

Rae

8 Comments:

At 2:25 PM, Blogger David said...

So as Runner Susan would say: you have gone to the dark side and are riding a bike now.

Well I am tempted too. Your ride sounded fun and there is no question that 31 on a bike beats 31 on foot.

Jump in something wet!

 
At 5:12 PM, Blogger lainb said...

wow - now that list of 10 things paints a very exciting/eventful day! poor bird. :)

 
At 6:10 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Congrats on the ride and I enjoyed the revelations. I am interested to hear the detailed version.

 
At 9:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your list of lessons learned.

 
At 7:49 PM, Blogger Anne said...

I normally don't pay much attention to the weather (hey, who needs to in San Diego) but with the hurricane coverage, I noticed it was 100 degrees in Nashville today and thought it had to be very, very hot for your long, long ride. I'm glad you survived...and I hope the heart attack victim did too.

 
At 11:46 AM, Blogger MNFirefly said...

WOW! Biking in the heat. You are amazing!

 
At 1:52 PM, Blogger Emily Gray said...

if loving oatmeal cream pies qualifies one to be a cyclist then all I'm missing is the bike.
I can down some OCP's..."yah, you know me"
I am also, obviously, a dork.

 
At 5:10 AM, Blogger jeanne said...

Fantastic! (I'm so behind on my reading, sorry.) I am totally psyched! i'll bet riding 31 miles is a lot easier on the bike, but still it had to be tough in that heat!

maybe i'm just out of the loop, but what IS an oatmeal cream pie?!?! are those people trying to kill you?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home