We did it!
We did it, the 31 miles of the Ride Across Wilson County this morning, which I would like to rename as the Who the hell knew there were hills like this in Wilson County Ride. It was hot, it was hilly, and we had a lot of fun. And thank God we weren't last. At one of the aid stations a volunteer told us someone had a heart attack out on the course this morning, so hopefully they're doing ok. I saw several more people drop and get in SAG cars. The number of heat related deaths this week has been nuts.
The ride coincided with the Wilson County Fair, so we used our free admission passes right after and spent even more time in the insanely hot sun. Who wouldn't want to walk around a midway when it's 100 degrees+? There are many, many thing I learned this morning. Here are just a few until I have time to post my proper race report with pics from our fun day.
1) Brent is just plain more aerodynamic than I am.
2) It is possible to hit a bird on your bike, have it go through your spokes and stay upright.
3) Riding 31 miles is waaaay easier than running 31 miles.
4) A lot of cyclists have massive pick up trucks.
5) Wilson County has a lot of cows with stinky poo.
6) Apparently cyclists love Oatmeal Creme Pies. My dad should be a cyclist.
7) Having a road bike does not necessarily make you fast, but riding a hybrid amongst a throng of road bikes does make you bad ass.
8) Camels are incredibly pushy.
9) Fried pies aren't half bad.
10) Brent secretly wants to be a beekeeper.
That's it for now, time to blow my hair out and hit the town! Brent got a call from the art gallery asking if he could do two more pics so we need to hit the frame shop! Yeah for selling more art!