Sunday, June 10, 2007

And so another week starts tomorrow....

I can't believe it's already 8:30 on Sunday night. Where do the weekends go?? I've got bills to pay but I just felt like blogging for a second. The show went really well last night. And dear God, it was an absolute inferno. The air conditioner in there isn't much larger than what we have in our upstairs loft/guest room to help boost the air up there. And it's been over 90 for days here. Throw 100 people at a time into a smallish gallery and it's a free for all sweat-fest. The show started at 7, but we had to get there a bit earlier because Brent and another guy were the bartenders for the first part of the night. I wasn't exactly sure how I was going to fill 4 hours, especially the 2 where I would be without B. I've seen all the art there about a million times - and we hung 1/3 of it so I was WAY familiar with it by this point. But, I decided to talk to random people so I met some other artists, other artist spouses, talked to various gallery go-ers and then wonderful friends and neighbors of ours started showing up. It really means so much when people come out to support. We put 100% into everything we do, and for other people to take time out of their individually busy lives means a lot. This is more than a hobby - it's a side business that in a wildest dream could one day be a main business. And it takes a LOT of time. Shopping for frames, working on the art, getting it just so, looking for opportunities. It's not free for us to do this at all, so being part of a show is a great opportunity to get back some of our investment and network....

Anyway, I am always such a nervous wreck at these things!! I just want all of Brent's stuff to be perfect, and I want everyone to love it!! I can't imagine having a kid and stressing about watching them step out of their comfort zone to possibly be either criticized or loved - this is too much for me already! I stalk his section, watch it constantly and then get so excited when something's gone! He sold a couple last night, we need to sell 1 more to break even (entry fees and commissions at these things are ridiculous.) The show goes on for 4 more weeks, so there's time.

Anyway, we had a great time and the night actually passed insanely fast. It ends up the guy Brent was bartending with's wife is also a CPA, who runs (some), was a high school championship swimmer and they live about two blocks from us and stretch frequently on our white picket fence. Small world!! So it was a great night and although I sweated a bucket I'd say it was a success.

Ok, back to paying bills. Ugh.

5 Comments:

At 9:47 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Glad to hear the show went well. I need to pay a few bills as well this evening. It's just not fun. Good luck with the swimming.

 
At 8:09 AM, Blogger Michele said...

Glad the show went well and hope y'all sell all the pieces.

 
At 2:52 PM, Blogger Cliff said...

Rae..


hey long time no talk..sorry i've been busy with training...

i saw your preivous post about TI. What I can say is that...the most important is to have a coach to give you feedback, TI or not.

When I had my coach last year, he picked up a lot of things I can't learn on my own.

If you read more about swimming, u will see it in general, good swimming style have a lot in common. Smooth strokes, effeicient in the water, relax, high elbows, swim straight.

I would say other than a coach..u will need to put in a lot of time in the water. Swimming, to swim better, requires you to reprogram your brain. It is hugely dependent on techqniues rather than fitness.

 
At 6:46 PM, Blogger runningtwig said...

I found your blog while I was looking for running bloggers in Memphis. I enjoy reading your blog....did you do the Swampstomper here in January? I was thinking of doing it next year...

 
At 10:10 PM, Blogger Darrell said...

Congrats on a successful show. Sounds like you may have a chance to come out ahead.

I can't tell you how many times the bills have gone unpaid for at least another day because I got caught up in blogs, either reading or posting.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home