Sunday, April 29, 2007

Urinals, Dogs, Grits and Necked Statues

Hey guys! What an awesome weekend! I don't even know where to begin or what all to say. We had a great time with Barb, Mike and Phog. What a blast! And the fun will just continue when they move to Nashville. (Oops! I think I was supposed to let them say that!!) From Friday afternoon until this morning when they left I think my face was in a constant state of pain from laughing so much. We taught them all the important things you need to know - what grits and meat & threes are, snazzy sayings involving the rebel flag, and the proper pronunciation of Naked - Necked. And of course as all things break in the house (last weekend it was the front door) this weekend the urinal broke. And of course it broke by continually flushing, so from last night until we were able to install a stop valve on it this afternoon we've had to constantly turn the water to the house on and off as we need it. And of course since a home urinal is pretty rare none of the Home Depots/Lowes have the parts we need, and plumbing supply shops aren't open on Saturday night at 7 pm or Sunday.

I'd love to say the race went well for me, but it soooo didn't. 2:11 something - my 2nd worst half time ever, the slowest I've been since this same race in 2005, my very first half. Pathetic. When I saw Brent at mile 9 I just went over and started crying and of course he said all the right things about how I'm in marathon shape and not half shape, and how tired and stressed I am about the house, and all those wonderful things that a wonderful husband is supposed to say but it still doesn't keep the tears from streaming down my face as I type this. I'm just an overachiever in all things considered life and I knew this wouldn't be a PR race for me but I didn't know it would be this bad. I was hot, I was tired, I had horrible side stitches from mile 7 on and I just wanted to be a spectator. I had no desire to be there and as hard as I tried I just couldn't have fun. I couldn't have fun at the race I consider MY race, in MY hometown. A race I love just because it is everything Nashville. I just couldn't enjoy the moment. I know I'm burnt out on both ends and it just sucks. It was a great race, well organized and well supported and I feel like the scum of the earth for not enjoying every moment. At Mile 6 I was still doing OK (slow, but not hurting) and was passing a girl walking with her head down and a wonderful volunteer yelled out at her to pick her head up, she was doing great. The girl dropped her head more and shook it, and the volunteer yelled back "Do you realize most people are still in bed and will never accomplish what you have already accomplished??" And that's so true, but also so hard to accept when you expect so much from yourself.

So, I'm going to cry for a little while, stretch out in a warm bath, curl up on the couch tonight with Pippin and start over tomorrow. I'm mad about the 13 pounds I've gained training for 3 marathons the past 6 months, mad about my low energy level, mad for not enjoying life more and tomorrow I'm starting over. I got all the forms for our awesome Y discount last week so I'm heading back to the gym, losing the fat and getting back in fighting form. Next year I am kicking CMM ass.

18 Comments:

At 6:05 PM, Blogger MNFirefly said...

((Rae)) Hang in there. You still did awesome! Don't underestimate yourself.

 
At 6:55 PM, Blogger LeahC said...

oh tears. they come sometimes, me and tears go way back :-). Of course it's not as well as you would want to do in the race....but that's just what it is...one race.

you'll kick ass at your next race.

feel better!

 
At 10:09 PM, Blogger Afternoon Tea With Oranges said...

**Hugs** So sorry Rae - it happens to all of us. Keep your head up girl, you are an amazing athlete.

 
At 10:17 PM, Blogger lainb said...

As a fellow overachiever, I hear ya! But you truly have accomplished SOOOOOOO much and are am awesome athlete. Hope you feel better! *hugs*

 
At 3:41 AM, Blogger Jon (was) in Michigan said...

Wow. That time didn't look so bad to me. Especially since you were taking it easy. And did you say you were running 3 marathons this year? I think I could manage 1 and then fall to pieces. Maybe.

I think Brent is right. You've trained your body differently for a while. Your reserves and pacing are ready for a longer haul. Apparently THREE longer hauls! (gasp. I can't even imagine!)

Did you say hot and side stitches? Maybe it was the first hot weather run of the year. I'm not sure how its been down there but its been cold forever up here.

Sorry it didn't turn out how you had wanted but its one race in a very nice running year. If I could get to where you are now, I'll be damn happy.

Rest up. Think about the next race. Stay golden.

 
At 6:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like both of us had a tough day. But we finished!

 
At 6:46 AM, Blogger Iron Jayhawk said...

I guess this goes to show all of us that the super extreme taper plan isn't always the best plan. ;) Either way, you gave all that you had in less than ideal conditions--and that in itself is a successful race, even if it wasn't your best performance. Once you figure out your next race (uhmm howabouttheChicagoDistanceClassic?) you will be back and ready to kick some ass and take some names.

Oh, and it looks like Pips taught Phog a few things. This morning I had a rude awakening...ear licks and an attempted face hump. It was awesome. Hah!

 
At 7:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds as if (in part) you were trying a bit hard to have fun. Never good to feel guilty about feeling bummed (emotionally, physically, etc). It's hard to get oneself to relax and enjoy things when one feels guilty about not...well...relaxing and enjoying things.

 
At 8:30 AM, Blogger E-Speed said...

hey girl we all have bad races. You will bounce back from this when you have the time to train properly. Glad the rest of the weekend was a good one for you!

 
At 9:58 AM, Blogger Hilda said...

Don't feel so bad, the hard work you've been on lately makes a huge difference.

Still I didn't know that you've earned pounds during this time.

 
At 11:37 AM, Blogger Krista said...

"I'm just an overachiever in all things considered life and I knew this wouldn't be a PR race for me..."

I can completely relate. I had this same realization during my race this weekend - I decided not being above average once in a while is a good kick in the pants for everyone. And, hopefully a little discouragement this time will make PR victory the next time around that much sweeter.
That's my mom moment for the day - feel better and enjoy your 'fresh start!' BTW, the blog is good readin'...

 
At 5:43 PM, Blogger Anne said...

Hey, a 2:11 is damn good for someone under so much stress -- even someone who isn't under so much stress. And that's the necked truth.

 
At 10:31 PM, Blogger Jack said...

Don't be so hard on yourself, renovating and running are not good companions - they leave you more exhausted as you think. So finish the renovations, and get back to running - you'll be fine!

 
At 4:04 AM, Blogger Full Metal Lunchbox said...

I'm going to put my two cents in here and say this:

The half marathon distance was made for poor performance.

I don't think Brent was off the mark to point out that you are more in marathon shape than half marathon shape.  There's just something about the 13.1 mile distance that is tough to train for and difficult to manage on race day.  I'll bet if you had run a marathon distance you would have done much better, so don't feel bad.

I'd also like to point out something else that you probably already know: you are not alone in the recent weight-gain department.  Lots of us put on some pounds in the late winter.

I've read your blog for a long time and I've seen what you are capable of.  You'll bounce back from this and amaze us all, I'm sure.

Good luck with your continued training... and with the home improvement.

 
At 8:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You did awesome! You have acomplished so much, more than I could have ever imagine! You are great. You have a lot of things on your plate right now, I think your awesome!
Hope you feel better!

 
At 8:23 PM, Blogger Rich said...

That spunk is going to really take it to the next marathon!

 
At 11:19 AM, Blogger jeanne said...

you get to be mad, and you get to cry and everything will get better (and probably already has, since I am catching up on blog reading!!) Oh i've missed reading you!

and hey, that's a great training run for you! One more in the bag. and you COULD HAVE QUIT anytime, but you didn't. don't forget that.:)

 
At 11:37 AM, Blogger jeanne said...

p.s. nothing on earth will ever get me to say "necked."
the end.
:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home