Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Exercise your right!

Hey! Did YOU vote today?? We certainly did. TN is a major battlefield this year - particularly the race for the Senate seat Bill Frist is leaving. Since August we have been FLOODED with ads for Corker and Ford. To the point that I was insanely excited to see an ad for some sort of toy for children last week. It's been out of control - every day I get calls from one of the campaigns, multiple fliers in the mail every day and on our house. It's been a dirty, dirty race with all sorts of nasty ads. There was the one "Playboy Playmate" ad that got a ton of publicity and is now rated as one of the Top Ten most racist political commercials of all times - the only thing that offended me about it was that the chick playing the "Playmate" in the ad was nowhere NEAR attractive enough to EVER be allowed near the Playboy mansion. On the Today show last weekend they said Corker has had 12,000 commercials and Ford has had 7,000 commercials. Oh yeah, I believe it. In total they've spent over $40 million dollars on their campaigns. INSANE. Can you imagine all the good that money could have done for schools and other good charitable things instead of driving every resident of Tennessee insane?????

We got in line at 6:45 this morning to vote, our polls opened at 7 am. We were about 15th in line, not bad. We were out of there by 20 after 7, and by then the line was out the door. It was nice to see so many people out voting. We got to work and as I was talking to our janitor about how important it was to vote (he had already voted) one of my coworkers walked in to make some coffee. She's 24. She heard our discussion and jumped in with a "There is NO way I am voting. I am so sick of hearing about this election so I am protesting by not voting." How ignorant is that??? Even if you don't like the candidates you should still vote, it's your right. When I think about all the people who have had to fight for us to have the right to vote it's very irritating to hear that type of opinion. I told her she can't complain about the country if she doesn't even care enough to vote, but there was no convincing her to go. Oh well.

Now, I need to go and vote again - this time for Joey on Dancing with the Stars! No voter registration card required!

10 Comments:

At 9:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In Pennsylvania, someone told me that there's some mechanism to basically register a null vote. Just basically, one big 'cross-the-board abstention. However, I did not see this in effect today. But we do have computers! Wooooooooo! Now I don't need to get a tetanus shot just to vote because the machine is all rtusted out and clunky. Yeow!

 
At 9:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oooh...it drives me crazy when people complain about voting!

 
At 10:13 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

One of the biggest problems I have with the campaigning is the ridiculous amount of money that is spent on commercials and such. I think you are absolutely right that all that money spent could be put to much better use. Maybe some day they will figure out a better way to campaign that is fair and does not waste a lot of money.

 
At 12:05 AM, Blogger MNFirefly said...

I totally agree. We are swarmed with Democrats in the state. I hope our governor - a Republican - wins. PLEASE!

 
At 8:12 AM, Blogger jeanne said...

that makes me INSANE!!! people who don't vote. when south african blacks first got the right to vote, they stood in line for DAYS. We should take her citizenship away!

 
At 9:31 AM, Blogger Lance Notstrong said...

You make a REALLY good point about all that wasted money on their campaigns. They should have "caps" on what they can spend on their campaign. When the money's gone, no more ads about playboy playmates :-)

 
At 3:45 PM, Blogger Anne said...

I'm glad you got out the vote. I also exercise my right, even if the people and propositions ultimately chosen are, in my opinoin, always wrong.

 
At 8:54 PM, Blogger Darrell said...

My wife watches DWTS and now I'm hooked too. I got go for Emmitt though. He looks like he's having so much fun. This is a very close season. The elimination in next.

 
At 1:16 PM, Blogger jeanne said...

Rae (on another topic) I have a friend who is moving to nashville (The Other Jen; she makes occasional appearances on my blog) and i wondered if you would be willing to correspond with her and give her some tips on where to look for housing?

if so, could you e-mail me?
mccannjl AT mindspring DOT com

(i'll be gone friday to sunday--sorry to do this this way!)

THANKS!

 
At 11:48 AM, Blogger CJ said...

Maybe having complsory voting has it plusses after all - not the insane amounts spent on advertising for a start.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home