Thursday, October 26, 2006

Less than 48 hours to go.......

OMG, I can't believe I am running a marathon this weekend!! WHAT was I thinking?? It really starts to hit home when you work on the playlist that is going to last you for over 4 hours!!! I signed up for this marathon (the 4-H Old Mulkey Classic in Tompkonsville, KY) as a final training run for the upcoming Flying Monkey Marathon on November 19th. It's perfect as a long last training run and just seems cute. Last year there were 44 marathoners and 22 half marathoners. It's a race where "you're a name not a number" and apparently the townspeople come out and make signs for the runners. There's a free pasta dinner the night before and at $30 to enter the full, $20 for the half (Brent is doing the half) and a hotel room for $60 including tax the price was not half bad!! They also said rolling hills, so that's great training for the Monkey. Then, I did something stupid. I asked Trent, race director of the Monkey, to plug the course directions into his super fantastic mapping software. (I'm telling you this guy is like the course mapping Yoda for Nashville runners. Super awesome.) That's when the freakout started. Rolling hills my butt!! It should just be called HILLS. (You may have to hit the little arrow button for elevation to toggle.) I'm not sure that there is a flat portion here. I went back and looked at all the race photos and it seems like there may be one small flat portion. Can I just run that piece a few hundred times?

This second marathon just feels a bit strange. There was so much anticipation for the last one, even coworkers who don't "get it" were excited. Most of them don't even know about this one or the Monkey, now they think we run a 'thon every weekend. Last time there were exciting blogger meetups planned and some beach bumming afterwards, and this time we're just driving two hours to Kentucky. This one really is a training run for me, and a last long run for Brent (when he finishes he's going to turn around, come back and run me in for some added miles.) I know it benefits the 4-H club, but I'm from the city and don't have a clue what the 4-H club does. I am really excited to see if I've progressed and how I'll hold out over the 26.2 miles. Reading all the Chicago reports this week has made me amped!!!

We're all packed and will be heading out tomorrow afternoon!! I THINK I've remembered everything! The race starts at 7 am CST so if you're running then send us some good thoughts! I'm PRETTY SURE there won't be any internet tracking or even chips for this race. I'll have Brent call Mouse with some updates and I'm sure he'll be updating his blog through the cameraphone. AND, our hotel room has wi-fi (and a fridge!!). We'll be back Saturday night because we're going to J's big Halloween bash!!

GOOD LUCK to everyone else racing this weekend!! It's a huge marathon weekend!!! AND, if you race is Sunday don't forget about the time change!

Special good luck to Mouse who is going to kick ass in the Detroit marathon, and Bex, David,
Michelle, Rich , Steve Walker (steve runner) & Jeanne are all going to rock Marine Core in DC. Good luck to local runner J who is also running Detroit!!!

See you on the flip side!!!

Rachel

19 Comments:

At 9:34 PM, Blogger Garou said...

Good luck this weekend! It sounds like a fun, although very challenging, race. I'll be looking forward to your race report next week.

 
At 11:07 PM, Blogger Darrell said...

OK, you've got hills and you get to try them all twice just for kicks. Have fun! This one's gonna be good.

 
At 11:09 PM, Blogger Jack said...

Don't let those itty-bitty little ant hills scare you, you are a machine!

Good luck this weekend, have fun, you're going to do great!

 
At 12:15 AM, Blogger Theoutofshapeguy said...

Good Luck Lady!!! Make it your B****

 
At 4:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yea! Go get 'em Rae!

 
At 5:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have a great race....Look forward to the report on the "hill".

 
At 5:49 AM, Blogger mouse said...

dude! you guys are going to be in Kentucky. that's like, half way to Michigan. you should just jump in the car and drive the rest of the way up to cheer for me in Detroit the next day.

ok, maybe not so much. :) but GOOD LUCK TOMORROW! these are the fun ones, because there's no pressure to do well, but i'm sure you will anyways!

 
At 7:24 AM, Blogger D said...

Looking at that elevation chart - the first word that came to mind: sadist. OUCH. Wow - doing a marathon as part of training for your marathon. I am so looking forward to the race report detailing how you conquered this one! Good luck! Good luck to Brent as well.

 
At 8:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck! Have a great time.

 
At 8:11 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Have an great race. I will be running my first marathon Nov.5th. But you are an 'Old Rabbit" and will just fly over the hills!!!

 
At 10:23 AM, Blogger susie said...

How did I miss this? Have fun and run strong, Rachel. A training marathon for a marathon? You go!!

 
At 1:04 PM, Blogger jeanne said...

kick those hills asses (?) and take no prisoners!

 
At 1:48 PM, Blogger Cliff said...

Rae,

Don't let the profile fool u :).

I am sure there is a lot of flat areas. Have a blast. U are ready for this.

 
At 2:26 PM, Blogger E-Speed said...

Good Luck this weekend girl!!! Rock it!

 
At 3:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck on this weekend's race! Hills are great - they just add some variety into the mix. Can't wait to read all about it.

 
At 5:02 PM, Blogger MNFirefly said...

You forgot Danielle too, who's doing MCM....but I will cover her when I write my blog tonight.

Good luck! I will look for a race report!

 
At 5:26 PM, Blogger Trisaratops said...

Good luck, Rae! You will do awesome. You've put in the miles...so enjoy your day! Hills, schmills. :) No worries. (easy for me to say, my butt's running on flat trails Sunday)

 
At 7:43 PM, Blogger brent said...

good luck, have a great race!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 
At 9:09 PM, Blogger Iron Jayhawk said...

YAY!!! You two are going to rock!

So how does one get on the super fab runner update call list? Cause frankly, I think Pippin should be giving Phog a call with all the updates. He's cool like that.

We'll be thinking about you guys in the morning! Have fun :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home