Monday, October 23, 2006

Why I did not win the Chicago Marathon


A) I was not there.

B) I seem to have lost all sense of intelligence this week. Really. Sunday was our long run for the week, and at only 12 miles we were both pretty jazzed. We decided to run a trail combination we had seen on the local running club message board that combines 3 different trails at Edwin and Percy Warner (the red, blue and white) via some trail connectors. It was great because the only things you did more than once were the connectors, and those are typically pretty short. One muffin dropped in the floor later and we were off. And let me just tell you - it was cold. One of those cold days where it only gets colder which is just messed up. It was in the low 50's, which certainly isn't cold compared to a lot of places but it only snowed once here last year so we're not exactly a cold blooded lot. I finally got my GPS and off we went up the large stairs and onto the white trail. So, exactly how was I stupid?? Well, 6 days before my 2nd marathon I was so excited about the trail shoes I had gotten for my birthday (Oct 1st) that I decided to run 12 trail miles with brand new shoes. I always run in Mizunos, they really work for me. My trail shoes are Adidas. Totally new territory. I am an idiot. Within a mile my feet were achy as they got used to the new feel of the shoes. I was really happy with the ankle and foot protection they gave me -I could really tell a difference on the rocky portions. The arches just fit differently, and within a couple of miles I could feel a massive blister forming on the left arch. Honestly, how stupid was I???? I didn't complain because it was my own dumb fault. We kept on running and the trails were BEAUTIFUL. The leaves were so bright and beautiful, the pics just don't do it justice (but they're not bad for a cameraphone!). We haven't run the trails in Edwin Warner before, and I had no clue they had so many! The trail connector took us across a busy road and then back into the woods. EW is a bit flatter than PW, so that was nice! There were several other trails branching off from the Blue that were running so we'll have to check that out. I really never could get warm, either. As much as I was enjoying the scenery I really was ready to be done. I should've worn a LS shirt or my gloves. I hate being cold!! Right as we were finishing up our run I slipped and fell. We were literally at the trail exit and my shoe slid on a tree limb. I made it 12.5 miles and fell at the end! Really, I think Cheuryot (Chicago winner) and I fell at the same time. Two great runners, two great falls. =)

When we got home I took my sock off and - OH YEAH - one massive blister on my left arch. Perfect. I was hoping it would go down quickly but no such luck. I drained it last night so hopefully it won't bother me on Saturday. I will never, ever do something so stupid again!!

Today's act of genius - leaving my laptop at home. I realized it as SOON as we pulled into the parking lot. Who is at fault??? The Killer Butt woman. I did that DVD last night (on my lappy - our DVD player broke in the move) and she killed me so hard I didn't have the energy to put lappy back in my laptop bag. I did end up using a spare computer but I still can't believe I did that!!!

So.....I wonder what fresh acts of genius I'll have tomorrow. In other news, here is a photo of the finishers medal for next month's Flying Monkey Marathon. SWEET!!! It's made of WOOD! How cool is that??? A few scaredy cats have dropped so there are a couple of spots available if you want to come down and run with us. This will be the ONLY year that it's the INAUGURAL so come on down! Free lodging with us!!!



And finally, here are some additional great reminders from last weekend. Brent and I had a very good time Friday night chilling out and relaxing at the Alleycat (and Brent at home after). I LOVE their cheese dip. And their pomegranate margaritas. Or so they tell me.










I can't believe I'm running a marathon on Saturday!! AAAAAAH! More about that later this week.......

9 Comments:

At 12:40 AM, Blogger Jack said...

You look like you are freezing in the one picture. The trail looks like a wonderful place to run. Have a great race this weekend, I'll be cheering you on from my corner!

 
At 4:16 AM, Blogger jeanne said...

you look cold! i can't believe you didn't warm up during the run. yuck. hope your blister gets better. i am the queen of blisters so i feel your pain. Good luck on saturday!

 
At 9:06 AM, Blogger Cliff said...

i will never run in my shorts in that freezing weather :)

hope u get well for sat. Laptop situation..it happens. :)...too bad they give u a spare laptop....or else u have a reason for not working :D

 
At 12:49 PM, Blogger Michele said...

Sunday was COLD, and you are right it got colder as the day went on.
The trails look like a fun place to run.
Glad you didn't get hurt in your fall.
Good luck this weekend.

 
At 6:04 PM, Blogger MNFirefly said...

OMG, Rae. You are making me SO cold just looking at you. Brrrrr! We both attempted new trails, but you got a better result than me. **sigh** I trade a little blister for anything.

 
At 8:36 PM, Blogger Rich said...

Baby it's cold out here too! I missed my next to last run this morning because it was drizzling and cold. I'll have to make it up tomorrow. Can't bear the thought of missing a run after 18 weeks of training!

What are you running this Sat?

 
At 4:17 PM, Blogger Theoutofshapeguy said...

Wait one minute, inaugural means "First one"? I never knew that. And wait, u didn't win the marathon? I am so confused.

Other than that the trails sound amazing. I would love more trails around here.

 
At 5:53 PM, Blogger Iron Jayhawk said...

blisters are bad news bears, but you'll persevere and rock that not so super cute thon this weekend. :) I love the pics from the trails, too...again, you make me five shades of jealous. :)

Sooooooo...you or Brent should shoot me an IM and tell me more about the CMM...*cough*

 
At 11:01 PM, Blogger Darrell said...

It's not nice to tease. What fun that would be to run the Flying Monkey in TN, yet another state. Tempting, oh so tempting.

Those parks look absolutely wonderful for running. Take care of that blister and good luck with your cute little marathon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home