Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Hanging with the Amish



Hey guys! We're about to head out and check out the Amish, swing through Delaware and then head over to Atlantic City and spend some pennies! (And buy some taffy, of course.)

Brent will have the short summary of yesterday's activities up very shortly. We went to Valley Forge (very scenic area), Hershey, and Gettysburg yesterday before landing in Lancaster, PA last night. Hershey was one of those places on my list of things I have to see before I die. Compared to the Coors tour in Golden, CO & the Ben & Jerry's tour in Vermont it was a little disappointing. For pretty much everything they wanted to charge you a few bucks. Wanna take a trolley and see the town? $10 bucks each. Wanna see a 3-D clip with giant chocolate in it? $6 bucks each. Wanna pack some chocolate? $10 bucks, please. I did eat enough sugar to last me for a while and I'm still feeling a little gross. Gettysburg is a cool town but the actual park is mostly fields with lots of statues in it. We cut the auto tour short and went souvenir shopping for cheesy Confederate stuff instead.

We saw our first Amish buggy booking it last night and I'm looking forward to more of it today!! Later!

Rachel

Exercise -
Monday - Some walking, a lot of bad eating & 30 minutes swimming

2 Comments:

At 5:25 PM, Blogger David said...

The vacation sounds really exciting. The look on your face tells the story ... having LOTS of fun!
Carry on.

 
At 7:24 AM, Blogger Cory said...

I went to Harrisburg in 2004 for a soccer match (I'm nerdy that way---running for you, armchair soccer/gymnastics for me). Hershey is 12 miles away or so, so I took a CAT bus (the local transit) over there, but I knew HersheyPark would be expensive, so I just got dumped off as soon as we hit Chocolate Ave. Really pretty homes on a neat, quiet grid. Everything there is to actually do must be confined to the 'Park, though, I guess. So, hey, been there, done that. (cool monorail, though---did see a little of that). Harrisburg itself was way better. All those capitol buildings were great. Plus, there's a great pedestrian trail alongside the river, and the People's Bridge, a pedestrian bridge spanning the river and going to City Island (where the soccer team plays).

Gotta get to Harrisburg again!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home