Monday, September 26, 2005

Rita Rita!

Hey guys! Hope your weeks have all started off well. Outside of the race, the rest of our weekend was pretty vanilla. Sat afternoon we got a LOT done around the house. Working for a book distributor we've accumulated a LOT of books. I love reading, but there is a limit to how many books you can have! We've given a ton away to the library, and have more to sort through. We had also accumulated a ton of magazines as well. Sure, we could probably sell some of them on Ebay for $30 bucks but I'd much rather just get them out of the house. So, we took them to the recycle bin and really made a showing at getting rid of some of the CRAP we have accumulated.

Sat night we went out with P & S. We ate dinner at House of Kabob over in a very ethnic, international part of town. The food was very good. It's a pretty small place, and one of those nice, off-the-beaten path places that isn't crowded, loud or commercialized to death. Afterwards S decided she was in the mood for some Krispy Kreme's so we detoured there. The "Hot, Fresh" sign was on, and someone had told me Friday that mans you get a free one. In my bigger days I have been there MANY times when that sign is on and they never gave me one. Oddly enough, Sat night the VERY friendly waitress gave us all free ones. If you remember my post from Friday, JUST the day before, I had vowed that I really didn't want to eat doughnuts ever again. I held STRONG and didn't eat my free one. Brent ate it later. =) Especially after watching them roll down the hot oil and massive sugar fountain line I really didn't want that gross, inflated feeling. So, I was proud of me! =) Afterwards we went to a mini-golf place and played a game. I am terrible at stuff like this (Pippin could beat me at bowling, I'm sure!), so I came in last, P was first, and Brent was second. It was fun, and I don't get overly competitive at stuff like this. (Running, on the other hand....)

On Sunday's post I mentioned the strong winds we were having. Rita (or what was left of her) was coming through. Rita is not a name you can say just once, it sounds so much better in the duplicate - Rita Rita!! Anyway, we were under a tornado watch all day, and had lots of gusty winds. Right when it started sprinkling I decided to head out for a 4 miler. I told Brent to come and get me if the rains picked up or it started really storming. Anyway, once I got out there the rain slacked off and the wind felt great. It's VERY rare to be able to go out for a run at 2 in the afternoon around here and not melt in the heat! Sometimes the wind would really knock you in the gut and I'd have to hold on to my hat so it wouldn't fly into traffic - but it was great! I was in the mood for a slower run, so the wind helped me keep that goal! I ended up running 4.8 miles in 42 minutes, which was actually faster than I thought I was going. I'm not sure if my Garmin got the distance totally right since the GPS kept falling out due to the stormy weather. When I got back we took Pippin for a walk, but the rains picked back up so we cut it short. He's not crazy about wind so he was running around a little spastic (on his leash). The rains really picked up around 6 and it was still pouring when we went to bed. Pippin HATES the rain and when he saw me put on my raincoat to take him out he ran away from me and hopped in his bed. He's getting so smart!

Today was another long day at stupid work. My boss had asked me to come in earlier, so I skipped the morning walk with Pippin and promised him an evening walk instead. After a little over 10 hours at work I decided I really didn't give a flip anymore and that what I really wanted to do was play racquetball. If you can't get your job done in 10 hours obviously expectations are set all wrong. So, we came home, had some dinner and headed back out to the company gym. I spent a little time on the elliptical while Brent lifted weights and we headed down to the court. I'm new to actually playing the game, and it's been over a MONTH since we've gotten to go to the gym due to stupid work. After warming up we started an official game. It was neck and neck for a while, then I pulled ahead 7-3. I held him off for a while, then it was 10-7, my favor. Brent made a big surge (usually he hits it to the corner, or whacks it super hard - which freaks me out) and he was up 14-12. We remained scoreless for a little while, then he finally beat me 15-13. It was a good game, lots of fun and a good way to cross train! When we got home we took Pips for his promised walk and he even got to play with his fave lab, Abby.

I still don't know what all Brent's got planned for my b-day on Saturday. He's told me everything from pink elephants to a mariachi band. I told him all I need is a good cake (which is SO true!)

That's enough for today!

Rachel

Exercise Log-
Sun - 4.8 mile run, 2/3 mile walk with Pippin, 20 minutes yoga/toning (focus:thighs)
Mon - 11 minutes elliptical, 30 minutes racquetball, 1 mile pm walk with Brent and Pippin, 20 minutes toning (focus:abs)

3 Comments:

At 4:29 AM, Blogger brent d. said...

For your birthday I'm taking you and Pippin bowling. =)

 
At 10:11 AM, Blogger lainb said...

so you spend 10 hours at work, go home, and then go BACK to work for the gym? wow - that's a lot of time breathing office air! :) That's great that your company has an on-site gym though. Racquetball scares the beegeebees out of me. Balls seem to be magnetically attracted to me in gneral (seriously, anyone who's been near me on a bball court, baseball field, racquetball court, etc. knows I ALWAYS get hit!! lol)...much less in a small, enclosed room. Tennis on the other hand I LOVE LOVE LOVE.

 
At 11:23 AM, Blogger Tiggs said...

I have it lucky in that department. I LOVE sweets, but I hate doughnuts! ICK!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home