Saturday, July 07, 2007

Riddle Me This

Exactly why is 07-07-07 such a big deal??? I really didn't mean to not post the "answer" for my previous post for so long, but we've been all wrapped up in the 7-7-7 wedding brew-ha-ha. And in wrapped up I mean that Brent was a groomsman in his college roommate's wedding today. So, the last two days have been wedding rehearsals, insane quantities of pictures and a lot of sitting, waiting and smiling. As someone who has been married for 8.5 years now I think the massive pomp and circumstance is a bit much, but whatever. I got cake and punch and I guess that's all that matters. But more about the wedding, the 4th of July this week, the post I started 3 days ago called "Pippin and the Possum" and all about "The Christians" who have invaded our neighborhood later because we are ZONKED.

BUT, the answer as Mouse correctly guessed (although it's really not guessing when Brent tells you the answer) is blackberries. Although my favorite guess was Shalini's "iphones". Brent would cross 30 gates to get a free iphone. If you ask Brent why we climbed the gate it was "because it was in our way". Our greenway is under construction in an awesome way. They're building a bridge over the river and we'll ultimately be connected to miles upon miles upon miles of greenway. There's even an ultramarathon planned for the spring since you'll be able to go something like 18-20 miles in one direction. But, with this construction comes random greenway closings and we were on a mission: to harvest some wild blackberries in a back portion. I'm not sure why, but Brent had been thinking about it nonstop for a week. And then we got to the first gate. You could ride around it, but if the greenway was ripped up what's the point? As we were contemplating a guy came biking out and said the asphalt was fine, and there were 2 more gates ahead. One you'd have to climb and put your bike over (which is what was pictured below) and one you could walk under but would have to lift your bike over. That's all we needed to hear and climbing we went. We had brought a big ziploc bag and filled it full of blackberries. There were very few people out in the "forbidden" zone - just a few other cyclists and we all shared a common bond of rebel-dom. On our way back out another guy was heading back in. Cyclists are cool people, too. Runners always have a camaraderie and it seems cyclists do too, which is nice. We ended up biking 11 miles roundtrip with an average speed of nearly 13mph and a max of 15.something. I was really happy with that, I'm getting much more comfortable in the saddle although downhills scare the heeby-jeebies out of me. I had my first chain "incident" on the big hill coming out of the park. Brent was right in front of me and didn't hear me yell that my chain was off, and the way the hill curves he didn't notice I was no longer with him until he was at the top. I didn't have a clue what to do, so I ran my bike to the top of that hill as hard as I could. I guess that's my first official brick. I got a quick lesson in putting my chain back on and headed home.

It was pie time. Brent said his grandmother used to make a really awesome blackberry pie. I've been "in the family" for 12 years and this is the first I've heard of said pie, so I find the whole thing highly suspect. Coconut cakes, chess pies and chocolate cakes are rampant in his family, but not this infamous pie. But, if it's a blackberry pie he feels nostalgic for by George I am going to figure out how to make one! I Googled around, found a recipe for pie and crust, and made my pie. It really wasn't so bad! I need to work on my "pretty" skills as far as the crust goes, but taste is #1 and it was GOOD! And now it's GONE! We're already planning our next blackberry picking adventure.......(and hopefully this time I won't end up with 2 ticks on my boobs!)

But, I am zonked and am quickly coming off my 2 cupcake and 1 piece of groom's cake high and plan on propping my feet up! Tomorrow is another busy one - we're working at the Plowhaus from 1-3 if anyone wants to stop by and shop for art!

Happy 7-7-7!

Rae

WIDTW-
Sun-"rest" - if rest is installing plumbing and a dishwasher
Mon - "rest" - if rest is installing a dishwasher and remodeling a kitchen
Tues - "rest' - if rest if supervising contractors and remodeling a kitchen
Wed - 11 mile bike, jogging to firecrackers
Thur - 4.2 miles run, 40 mins tone
Fri - 4.2 miles run
Sat - 5.2 miles run, .34 miles swim (550 meters)

4 Comments:

At 8:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Came across your blog...great!
I have friends in Nashville and I live 3 hours from you!

 
At 9:28 PM, Blogger lainb said...

great job with the pie...i'd never even attempt a pie crust from scratch!

did you seriously get 2 ticks on your boobs? if so, that's hilarious! Did Brent enjoy checking you for ticks? (i know you don't like country music, but there's a funny country song out with a verse that says "I wanna check you for ticks" or something like that). haha

 
At 7:23 PM, Blogger MNFirefly said...

Hmmmm...pie! Sounds very yummy!

 
At 8:20 AM, Blogger E-Speed said...

now I am craving pie!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home