Saturday, August 19, 2006

Snakes on a Plane and Coyotes on our Heels!

Hey guys!! Yes, we did it. We went to the matinee yesterday and saw Snakes on a Plane. When did the matinee become $6.25 each??? Insane, but worth it. To put this in perspective - the last movie we saw in the theater was last summer's Batman Returns, and we only saw that because that's what some friends wanted to do. In general we prefer to go places with our friends where we can hang out and talk (or burn calories!), rather than sit silently for hours.

But anyway, when Samuel L Jackson called me last week and said "Rachel, on August 18th you need to blow off your pansy ass job crunching funny numbers, grab your husband Brent, quit messing with your fancy hair do and get in your oversized sports utility vehicle and go see Snakes on a Plane" I knew I had to do it. And, I also knew that I had to have Samuel call as many of my friends as possible! Too bad he'll only call a number once. It was really a very good movie. It was funny, scary and even made me tear up a time or two. I think I screamed out loud at LEAST three times! There's a very good storyline and it's not some goofy, low budget flick with fake snakes or anything. It was really worth it. It's one I would even buy when it comes out on video, and it's one I can really see us watching at fun parties with friends in years to come as a fun "cult classic". Now, if you're into artsy films that dominate the Oscars - you probably won't be interested, but that's just not our thing. I don't want to spend time deciphering symbolism and trying to read subtitles. But if you think Old School is a classic (like we do!), you need to go and see it NOW.

And OF COURSE I had dreams about snakes last night. I am a strange sleeper. I used to walk and talk a LOT in my sleep, now I just talk. I also "fall" to sleep every night. Literally. As I fall to sleep I jerk - and each time in my head I am actually falling. If it's a big one Brent will wake me up to see where I fell. If we've done a race it's usually somewhere along the race course, or it will usually somehow tie into something or somewhere we've been that day. It's quite entertaining (for Brent). So last night I just KNEW I would dream about snakes. For some reason Brent and I were canoeing and of course we had Pippin too. Snakes kept falling on me LIKE CRAZY. Pippin was barking at them like crazy, and trying his best to defend me. I got SO frustrated at beating the blasted snakes that I turned to Brent and said "I am SO sick of these m-fing snakes on this m-fing boat". HAAAAAA!

So, today being Saturday meant one thing - LSD. Today's plan was 15 miles. We didn't quit make it because it was just TOO hot. We went back over to Percy Warner with our plan being to run the first 15 miles of the marathon we're doing there exactly 3 months from today. Well, we ended up in the wrong parking area (long story but things aren't marked all that well out there). As we were trying to figure out where we should start at I saw what I THOUGHT was a dog crossing the road behind us. A second later Brent saw one and said "WHOA! Did you see that???" And I said "Maybe." To which he replied "That was a coyote!" Ugh. Then another one went by. So, we didn't run that direction. At all. We headed out and it was just a tough, tough run with hills. I just wasn't in the mood for the hills, mostly due to the annoying heat. It was already 85 when we started, and that's just too warm. We walked some of the worst uphills and just took breaks when we needed them. Our strategy for this marathon will be to walk some of the uphills, I just don't see us being able to run the whole course, and I'd rather save myself for later in the race and not wear down too early on. We ended up right at 12 (since we hadn't started where we intended to) and we were just so worn down that I'm going to do the remaining 3 tomorrow. Next Saturday we're doing 17 flat miles, yeah!!! I don't want to wear out the hills, so we'll probably rotate 2 weeks of hills while building up mileage and running portions of the course and then 1 or 2 weeks of flat, easy miles. I don't really have a goal time for this race, I am thinking it will probably take us 5 hours. We ran our best miles at 9:30 pace today, and ones with short uphill walk breaks were closer to 11:30. I think a lot of it will depend on race day temps, I am really looking forward to fall!!!

Well, we are headed out to a going away party for someone downtown. Yeah for parties, boo for people moving away! I hope you all had awesome LSD runs today!!

Rae

14 Comments:

At 7:31 PM, Blogger Kelsey said...

I'll wait for Snakes on a Canoe to come out before I see any Mother-effing snakes on any mother-effing types of transportation.

 
At 8:05 PM, Blogger Cliff said...

...before i fall asleep i usually have this dream like state that i am falling and i have to jerk or shake my leg or something.....weird :)

 
At 10:48 PM, Blogger MNFirefly said...

OMG!! Snakes!!! Me no go see movie! No way! The commericals give me the creeps.

Nice job on the run.

 
At 11:14 PM, Blogger Cory said...

I've had a recurring dream where I am swimming in Lake Michigan, about 5 miles offshore. Eventually, the S.S. Badger car ferry (basically a full size cruise ship) comes along and I get trapped under it. I emerge JUST in the nick of time, and am usually woken up at that time.

 
At 5:32 AM, Blogger E-Speed said...

LOL. That message was freaking hilarious. Still not sure I am down witha movie about snakes though! Despite to glowing reviews from my blogging friends now :)

Hope your next long run isn't so hot or hilly!

 
At 8:48 AM, Blogger Darrell said...

coyotes everywhere. What's up with that? You gotta love Samuel L Jackson. Maybe I'll see Snakes on DVD, we rarely go to the theatre, although a day off of work sounds like a great idea.

 
At 10:18 AM, Blogger Trisaratops said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who wants to see this--or thinks Old School is Oscar-worthy! :)

How do you get Sam to call??? I want a call from Mr. Jackson!!!!

 
At 12:44 PM, Blogger Sue said...

Hi, love your blog. The previews for this film in the UK are very good - love Samuel L Jackson, perhaps if I leave my number you'll pass it on, lol?

And I thought it was hot here!!

 
At 1:17 PM, Blogger Michele said...

Great job on the run. It has been so hot making those long runs even LONGER!!!

 
At 9:14 AM, Blogger Iron Jayhawk said...

eep!! You're far braver than I. that movie freaks me out from the trailers alone.

I'm a sleep talker, too. I used to walk in my sleep...thankfully that passed.

I was telling my mom about the Flying Monkey and she was freaking out that anyone would do a marathon there b/c of all those hills. :)

 
At 2:05 PM, Blogger Afternoon Tea With Oranges said...

Nice job on the run! I may have to check out the movie....that is hilarious that you dreamed about Snakes on a Canoe..hahaha.

 
At 8:00 AM, Blogger KT said...

I'm totally a sleep faller, too.

Samuel L. Jackson told me to leave MY pansy-ass job too!

 
At 8:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

good job on the run.....I have been struggling a lot myself in this heat. I have 15 coming up on Saturday....and I think you almost convinced me to see SOTP. I had no idea it was any good, all I hear is jokes about it.

 
At 6:53 PM, Blogger KBGee said...

Thanks for the movie review...I'll definitely have to check that one out. Also, re the run - way to go!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home