Friday, August 18, 2006

I blame the Republicans

Seriously, I could get used to the whole vacation thing. Does it really HAVE to end??? Do we really have to go back to work next Monday? UGH! I need to get a P-ball ticket for tomorrow night, that seems to be the only way out of it!!

So, I now have Davidson county tags (Nashville)! Yeah! My car tags expired this month so this morning we headed down to vehicle emissions ($10) and then new car tags ($79). (I like to include the prices for you guys all over the place to compare! It's always SO interesting to see how things stack up across the country and globe!). The car tags are actually a few bucks cheaper than the suburbs, yeah!! So, later today we'll put the new tags on my car and no one will ever know my sordid suburban past!

We'd wanted to visit the Frist Center for the Visual Arts for a while now. I didn't know much about it, but I figured it would be a cool place to go. From the website we knew there was a Pulitzer Prize winning photography exhibit, so Brent was pretty amped about that. We also knew (from a million signs around town) that there was a big Egypt exhibit going on, but that was double the entrance fee and we're really not into stuff like that. We like art - painting, sculptures, photos, esp modern art. We loved Moma in New York as well as the art museums in Seattle, Boston and Chicago that we've visited over the years. All that to say: the Frist Center sucks. We paid $16 for 30 minutes of experience, and we were done. They bill themselves as a "traveling exhibit" museum - aka there is no art that's there 24-7-365. So, the only exhibit there for us to view was the photography exhibit and a kids area teaming with children. That's it folks. For an additional $17 we could have seen the Egypt stuff, but no thanks to that. Ugh yeah, rip off. The photographs were OK, but they were all prints on foam of the original winning photos. And, obviously since they are Pulitzer winners, they were from newspapers - meaning with the exception of one or two photos they were all death, destruction and war. Not exactly happy vacation viewing. It was really disappointing, but we can say we've been.

On the upside, we discovered that the Flying Saucer was next door. (Their website is so cute!) We've seen their ads before, and they have an insane number of beers on tap - 300+. I'm not a beer person, at all, but I found the idea interesting so we headed over. The food was really cool, and the atmosphere was awesome. They have saucers (like souvenir plates) all over the walls and ceilings. The food was really good, too. I had a goat cheese pizza and Brent had a roast beef sandwich. I would definitely go back there again, and highly recommend it to anyone in town. They have live music some nights and lots of special brewery type nights with good deals. I do wish their waitresses wore longer skirts because that sort of thing does offend me! (Naturally Brent said he didn't even notice!) Brent took some pics from our excursions today so I'll post those later.

OH, and one other thing! Stay away from the Frist parking lot! SERIOUSLY overpriced! We were there a total of less than 2 hours and if we had not had our admission tickets it would have been NINE DOLLARS!!!! With our tickets it was $3. You can park anywhere in Nashville during the day for $6 all day (excluding special events, of course). Their maximum - TWENTY FOUR DOLLARS!! Seriously guys, that's nuts. Hopefully I can save at least a few people a few bucks from a Republican who just wants to take more of your money!! =)

(Honestly, I am neither a Republican or a Democrat. I vote for the person and their stand. So don't rip me a new one people.)

So, now I need to convince Brent to take me to see SNAKES ON A PLANE!!! Samuel L Jackson called me last week and told me to go, so I have to.

13 Comments:

At 1:09 PM, Blogger Ben, aka BadBen said...

The Flying Saucer chain of restaurants is always fun to visit.

 
At 1:26 PM, Blogger mouse said...

SLJ called me last week and told me to visit too. hrmmm... that's a funny coincidence...

boooo to crappy museums. yay to beer! mmm... beer... I'm so jealous that you guys were drinking beer in the middle of the day!

 
At 1:27 PM, Blogger mouse said...

not visit. I meant, "see Snakes On a Plane."

 
At 1:51 PM, Blogger Cory said...

In six states I've lived in, none of them has county identifiers. Assuming your tags weren't close to expiring, would you have to buy new ones anyway, or could you just place Davidson stickers over the ones of whatever county you were in previously?

 
At 6:16 PM, Blogger Running Chick said...

Heyyy...Sam called me too!!

 
At 6:58 AM, Blogger Michele said...

I just my husbands new tags this week too. $24 and NO inspection!!!!

Flying Saucer sounds like my kind of place. We just did the beer sampler thing last weekend at the Mellow Mushroom and it was a blast.

 
At 10:13 AM, Blogger lainb said...

SLJ never called me. I'm unable to look at snakes EVER.

 
At 10:15 AM, Blogger E-Speed said...

LOL you guys are a hoot! Don't go see snakes. I mean seriously they really thought they could get people to go to a movie called snakes on a plane? Am I the only one who things that is bizarre?

 
At 10:58 AM, Blogger Jenniferlyn said...

Sorry your vacay has ended! I know that going back to work is hard to do. I don't want to go this week either...

And e-speed, I will not be seeing Snakes on a Plane. I am too afraid to see SNOAP! I am deathly afraid of snakes... *chills down spine* I cannot even think of being on a plane with them... I just got done with 5 flights this past week. NO!!!!!

 
At 10:50 PM, Blogger MNFirefly said...

Parking in the downtown areas are just as insane. I can totally relate.

 
At 10:52 PM, Blogger MNFirefly said...

BTW, your plates renewal are MUCH cheaper than Minnesota. I paid $105 for my new 2007 tabs. Count yourself lucky!

 
At 2:04 PM, Blogger Afternoon Tea With Oranges said...

Michele is correct - $24 for tags down here in the boonies. Granted, we spend much more than the difference in gas money when we have to drive 60 miles just to find some decent shopping.

 
At 7:31 PM, Blogger Rich said...

We have a Flying Saucer in Dallas too (Addison really). It's a great place to kick back and watch people.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home