Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Fast slow run

Hey guys! Happy Tuesday!!! I've been thinking it was Wednesday all day long and then I end up being so mad when I remember it's Tuesday! Crazy!!

Anyway, today was a really long day at work. Our friend T isn't doing so well against her fight with cancer. She's been in ICU for several days now and Brent and I went to see her last night. She was her usual, upbeat & positive self, but you could tell she was in a lot of pain. She's the most courageous, wonderful person I know. She's had a long, hard fight that will probably be ending over the next day or two. Of course everyone at work is talking about it non-stop. I know a lot of them mean well, but a fair share of them are just evil to the core and thrive on drama and being the center of attention. I don't understand why women are so catty. I hate the stereotype of gossipy women, but it really can be so true. Even on reality shows - the all women teams just self-destruct (like the Apprentice and Biggest Loser). I don't get it. Anyway, I wore my headphones all day so I wouldn't have to listen to their mindless, destructive chatter. If they would actually spend this energy doing their jobs or investing the time in their own families the world would be a much better place.

Anyway, tonight was our typical 5.3 mile Tues night run. I usually start it out slower and then speed up the last half. Tonight I wanted to start fairly quickly and keep that pace. The first mile went fast - just under 9 minutes and mile 2 was just over 8 minutes. Brent picked up the pace a bit and I let him get a little ahead of me. My legs just felt heavy and the anger from the long day and the general unfairness of life was all burnt out during the first two miles. Mile 3 was right around 9 again. Brent stopped at Mile 3 and told me to go on and he'd run back with me when I looped back around. Mile 4 was right around 9 and I picked Brent back up on my way back in. He stopped after another half a mile and I kept on going. I finished in 45:26, which is actually really fast for me on this distance. The avg pace was just under 9 minutes. I felt like it took me forever, so the actual splits on the second half are pretty surprising to me. When I got back in I did my yoga, just because that's what I normally do.

This weekend we're planning a camping trip with our friends P & S. It will really be nice to get away for a day or two. I've never actually camped before - I'd much rather rent a cabin and sit in the hot tub than sleep on the ground!! It should be fun - I look forward to toasted marshmallows more than anything! Maybe I can get some cider at the grocery store to bring along and heat over the camp fire.

That's about it for today. I didn't sleep very well last night and nearly passed on taking Pips for his morning walk today but I knew I'd feel too guilty about it. He'd probably appreciate the extra half an hour of sleep as much I would!

Rachel

Exercise-
mom - 1 mile am walk with Pips
Tues - 1 mile am walk with Pippin, 5.3 mile run, 20 minutes yoga (focus:thighs)

1 Comments:

At 9:29 PM, Blogger a.maria said...

i'm so sorry to hear about your friend. i will keep her and her family in my prayers.

have fun on your camping trip! camping is like, stop 5 for my favorite things to do... you'll love it!
(hopefully?!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home