Sunday, May 27, 2007

The Plan, Stan



So, here it is. The new plan in town. The answer to all the "what nexts?" you get immediately after you finish whatever race it is you've been training for.

I'm burnt out, as if that's not obvious. It was exactly a year ago this upcoming week that we started the search for the new house and ultimately moved here. And what a year it's been! But it all really started before then, to be honest. We'd spent the winter trying to figure out exactly where we wanted to live. We looked at jobs around Philly, New Jersey, Chicago. We didn't really know where we wanted to live and we were open to moving to quite a few Midwest-Northeast locations. Then we decided that really Nashville itself wasn't the issue, but more where we were in Nashville - the wretched, generic suburb of Smyrna. So we started the search within the urban, downtown areas of Nashvegas and fell in love with the old houses, wide sidewalks, and restaurants without chain mottos or overdone themes. No longer was every parking lot full of oversized SUVs and minivans, and originality was everywhere. Houses ACTUALLY looked different from the ones next door to it, and the majority of people were no longer overweight couch potatoes. There were actually OTHER human beings out running and walking their dogs. Art galleries, shops, bakeries, and restaurants were cleverly folded into the neighborhoods. I can't tell you how much fun I have walking a few blocks to get bread, ice cream with my boys, or even just walking down to get stamps.

But with this neighborhood comes an insane price tag. And to afford that price tag (in a market where houses go faster than the latest spin through rehab for Lohan) we got "the money pit". AKA our gorgeous 1890's Victorian. The backyard was a jungle, the inside was at some point home to many, many animals and I seriously doubt the previous owners have ever met a bottle of Clorox - earning them the nickname of Mr and Mrs Dirty. And it's been hard, hard work. We've done things I never even dreamed we would, and things most people will never have the nerve to even attempt to tackle. And nearly one year later it's really starting to be something. Sure, we've still got to repaint the exterior of the house, get a new roof, new fence, add on some additional space, landscape the front and back, and then fix everything that breaks along the way - but it's starting to be presentable. But wow, we're tired.

And in the midst of all that we've managed to train and run 3 marathons (2 for Brent). And none of them simple, flat, fast affairs. I can't even begin to describe how tiring it is to get up, go out and run 20 hilly miles, and then perch up on a ladder for hours to paint the ceiling. There's just not time in the day for all that. And I really don't want to spend this portion of my life constantly wearing myself out. The excitement of the marathon has faded for me. I want to sleep in some, go have brunch, stay out late if I want to and not worry about getting up early. I want to hit some yard sales early in the am, go for short jogs with Pippin and see how happy that makes him without worrying about getting a 18 miler in. I want to not carb load or worry about ordering the "right thing" at an Italian restaurant when what I REALLY want is fettucini alfredo. I want to cheer for my friends at races and do the fun little races that I want to without worrying about getting 13 additional miles in later. I want to be FREE.

I think most of the fun of a marathon is the excitement of race day. And if I'm constantly in training then that sort of gets lost. SO, ALL of that randomness to say this: The plan: no marathons for the next year. And honestly, I am thrilled about that. I'm just not interested. I love the romance of the marathon, but I'm just not interested in training for one right now. I've got lots of other shorter races on my agenda for this fall and spring, and I really want to focus on my fave distance, the half, right now. And get my 5K time down a bit.

Still to come: the workouts I have been doing this past month and my tentative race calendar! Special thanks go to Pippin for waking us up extra early this morning barking at nothing. Thanks, buddy!

Happy Memorial Day weekend everyone!

11 Comments:

At 8:15 AM, Blogger Rich said...

5Ks can be a lot of fun after the marathon grind. Fill up on them for a while and then see what happens. Enjoy yourself!

 
At 10:59 AM, Blogger lainb said...

Quite honestly, I'm in awe at how you made it this long with sooooo much on your plate!! It's exhausting for me to just read about your life between training & house repairs...and still having time to blog AND work. :)

I totally understand that feeling of wanting to be FREE. I was completely done after my first marathon. I thought, "okay, I can check it off my list and move on." I probably trained too hard for it though, but I was soooooo happy to get my weekends back. I actually had time to do something OTHER than run...and everything that goes along with running.

There will be plenty of time for more marathons if you choose...focus on doing what will make you feel your best RIGHT NOW. :)

 
At 11:41 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I would never attempt a remodel like you and Brent have done. I admire those that have the will and determination to do so. You both have been working so hard and it shows in all the pictures that you post. Enjoy running and I am sure when the timing is right the seduction of the marathon will return.

 
At 2:59 AM, Blogger Jack said...

I think considering your circumstances and plans you are making a good decision. You guys are young and always get back into distance running when life quiets down.

 
At 9:05 AM, Blogger Trisaratops said...

Sounds like a great plan! I had to make similar decisions about my races next year. In the end, ya gotta do what you know fits in with life, you know? The races aren't going anywhere, and when you're ready for another marathon, it will be there for you. I too am amazed at how much you've been able to do while remodeling so much! Can you guys come and redo my bathroom for me? :)

 
At 10:29 AM, Blogger E-Speed said...

with all the house work you have I think this is the perfect plan!

 
At 1:58 PM, Blogger MNFirefly said...

That's a great plan, Rae. Go at your own pace - or even distance. Plus 5K's are much greater because of the short distance.

 
At 3:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love that pippin woke you up because scooter did the same thing. Nice job on the decision - everyone needs a break. Have a restful year - can't wait to see what you do this year.

 
At 6:30 PM, Blogger David said...

Nobody said you have to do marathons. You do what feels good to train for and excel at. Sooner or later the road will open and the training will be attainable; and Mary will whisper your name again. It just has to be the right place and at the right time.

 
At 6:51 PM, Blogger jeanne said...

a wise, wise decision! you've earned a rest, good lord!

 
At 2:22 PM, Blogger Afternoon Tea With Oranges said...

I totally know what you mean. You can substitute your "house projects" with my "kid projects" and we have the same result. I didn't do a half iron tri this year like I had planned, because I didn't want to have to struggle to get in those long distance workouts. And as far as another marathon, that's on hold for now too. They'll all still be there when we're ready again!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home