Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Moving on up

Hey! I really have nothing interesting to post about in the way of running. Just like most of you guys, our weather has been CRAP lately. Loads of rain and it's also SO cold! Today our highs were in the 50's and the weather guy said our avg temps in April were higher than what we've had in May. It seems like it's always raining after work, or about to rain, or so stinking windy that it's just miserable. I've had 3 runs on the treadmill in the past week, and it's MAY! Yesterday was cold (and I'm over that!) so I did 4 on the 'mill, and tonight it was pouring down rain so I did 6 on the 'mill. Boring!!! Last night I watched the season finale of How I Met your Mother (I love that show!!) so it went by quickly, tonight's was more boring - I watched some HGTV show and a Seinfeld re-run.

So, I mentioned we're shopping for a new house. We've been in this house for nearly 7 years, so it's time to move on. We don't like our suburban neighborhood anymore. We've gone from one our two annoying neighbors to TONS of them. Barking dogs 24-7, cars parked everywhere, etc etc. Our neighborhood is very safe - but it's just not the same as it used to be. This subdivision is now 10 years old, and this area has grown like gangbusters. There is new subdivision on top of new subdivision - so most of the people who moved here when we did have upgraded to one of the newer, bigger, nicer houses nearby and capitalized on the nice value increases our homes have had. The new people that have moved in are nowhere near as nice as the ones we've lost. They can't afford the super nice new houses, but they can afford these. Nice. We have no desire to relocate to one of the nicer, bigger, newer houses - this suburb sucks!! It's so vanilla, and it's gotten to be ridiculous. They're now building a brand new Home Depot across the street from our still very new Lowe's. Why???? There's not a tree left in this 'burb. We used to see deer and other occasional wildlife, but now all their homes have been burned down for 50 BBQ restaurants, 500 nail salons, and millions of cash advance stores. So we want to go more urban!! I grew up in urban Memphis and I'd really like to go back to the urban lifestyle. It just has more personality. We'd also like to change gears and have a really old house, something incredibly historic. Something with some STYLE! We're fine with a smaller house, this one is too big for two people anyway. The bigger the house the more crap you have, and we've done a great job at cleaning out the crap lately. We've been living a much more minimalist type of lifestyle this year and it's been GREAT! We also want a smaller yard, all we need is something big enough for Pippin to poop in.

So, those are our ground rules. After a frustrating day of the neighbors on Saturday we were more than eager to check out some neighborhoods around downtown/East Nashville. There are tons of beautiful old houses down there, and I had printed out directions and info on about 9 houses. We headed down to the first one. It's just a little off of downtown. The house itself was gorgeous, exactly what we would like. Except for the fact that the projects are literally at the end of the block. A ton of houses on the street have already been revitalized, and I'm sure you could make a ton of money off of this house one day.......but it will always be two blocks from the projects. How can I do a run by myself or walk Pippin in the early am that close to the ghetto?? We drove around a little more in that neighborhood but didn't see anything else. So we headed over to the next area of houses. Really, it wasn't much better at all. Crappy house crappy house revitalized house crappy house. There was one house that was SO gorgeous – with a fantastic front porch and the works – right next door to a really run down set of apartments. Why is it that the projects are really in THE best part of town?? Close to downtown – beautiful old architecture – lots of sidewalks! I don’t get it. We found one house we did like, and a few others we saw just driving around (a couple of which turned out to be insanely priced). The topper was one that’s only two blocks from a trailhead entrance to Shelby Park. The inside was gorgeous – the outside I wasn’t huge on. But it said it had a river view! SWEET! We drove way out of the way, got turned around but we finally found it. It was so dog ugly, some really scary looking duplexes are right around it, and the only way you would be able to see the river from that house would be if all the houses across the street burned down. It’s not even ON THE SAME SIDE as the river! Puhlease. It’s all very frustrating, and we haven’t even started dealing with a realtor yet!

We did manage to get some projects done around here last weekend, too. We repainted our front door and our mailbox. We still need to repaint the molding around the front door and there are several other things we need to do around the house. I need a month off to get all this stuff done!!!

Anyway, Friday is Brent’s birthday. I have a few things planned for Saturday but I think we’re going to look at a few more houses this weekend and hopefully get a few more projects done.

That’s it around here, hopefully the weather will behave and I can have some running news to report!

Rachel

15 Comments:

At 8:42 PM, Blogger Cory said...

As much as most of us have a hobby to identify with (you running, me armchair soccer/gymnastics), it's neat reading what else happens in one's life, even the mundane. A house (and by extension a neighborhood) is a huge part of identity, or at least it should be.

 
At 9:19 PM, Blogger Mia Goddess said...

I love looking at houses! I am just completely *shocked* at the house prices. I don't know how to express this without sounding tacky, but I know that there are lots of mitigating factors all over the country, so I will just come right out and say it. A house, for under $200k. It doesn't exist here. Or anywhere near here. Even the one for $400k? Still doesn't exist here. Commit to a 90 minute commute, and you could probably find something in that price range. To touch the bay in this area, start at closer to 600k...for a dump. Sad for us, but yay for you! Color me JEALOUS!!!

 
At 9:52 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Good luck on the house shopping. I have to say that I would have never pegged you as a minimalist, but I am with you all the way. Except for my running gear of course. Don't make me get rid of the 8 pairs of running shoes I got.

 
At 10:19 PM, Blogger Cliff said...

I miss the wilderness as well. Living surburbia.aint' what it is suppose to be.

I often wonder, how od i fare if i live out in the boonies. That will be great..miles and miles of running and biking paths :)..no car to fight with.

 
At 11:49 PM, Blogger Jack said...

Good luck with your house shopping. We enjoy living in a smaller town (4K people), about 25 minutes from the city (200K) where we work. It still has small town qualities, but is close enough to city convienences. We also are lucky to have train (and next month - tram) access to the city. We were able to sell one of our cars when we moved where we live 4 years ago.

 
At 4:16 AM, Blogger E-Speed said...

House shopping was a wild experience for us. Oh the wall paper horrors! And the SCARY basements! Hope you find something you like!

 
At 5:28 AM, Blogger Trisaratops said...

I'm feeling your pain on this weather! Good luck with the house shopping, too. I'm with ya--give me a house with some charm/character over a cookie-cutter house any day! :)

 
At 5:39 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

House hunting is definitely a treasure search. Now that we are in our 2nd House, if and when we move, there are strict requirements that we are looking for in a new (to us) house.

Good luck!

 
At 5:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sucks that where you're living now has become so annoying and you feel compelled to move. It sounds so much like where I grew up. Used to be just lots of open spaces and trees. Now it's over 200 houses. Really kind of depressing, actually.

 
At 7:40 AM, Blogger lainb said...

Your energy level amazes me. ...running, house hunting, birthday planning, house projects, etc. etc. etc. It makes me tired just thinking about it all! haha

 
At 8:58 AM, Blogger Iron Jayhawk said...

I completely sympathize with your house hunting frustrations. We've been looking online for some cute small homes in our area...

lol.

The run down shacks are going for $500,000+. We're never going to get out of our condo! I really hope we luck out and find preconstruction on a townhome somewhere downtown within the next few years. That would rock!

ps...i take it that you're running TC, chicago is out? :( We may be going to TC to cheer Taylor (tmt4tnt) on...maybe we'll bump into you there?

 
At 9:53 AM, Blogger Anne said...

Man o man, can I relate to your lament. We moved to a section of San Diego specifically because it was surrounded by eucalyptus groves. Well, a raging wildfire destroyed quite a few and now, those that survived are being torn down to build a new mega-middle school. Sometimes I really hate progress.

Good luck house-hunting.

 
At 1:18 PM, Blogger Michele said...

I grew up outside of Memphis too. I live in Cordova for most of my childhood and that is where Ronnie, the kids and I lived until we moved here 4 years ago.
Good luck house hunting. I NEVER want to move again.

 
At 12:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

good luck house hunting!!!

 
At 6:06 PM, Blogger David said...

I can't believe the price on that cottage! Go to a nice neighborhood and find the smallest or least expensive house there. It'll appreciate faster and, if you and Brent fix it up, it'll be a winner.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home