Sunday, November 19, 2006

MISSION Accomplished!!

WE DID IT! 7 or so months of hilly preparation and I couldn't be happier with the results or the experience. It's ass cold today but luckily the rain held off and we kicked some ass-phalt. 5 hours - 5 SCMHOURS! We finished in 4:53 - 4:54 (my watch time was 4:54:18 which included getting a finisher's medal, which was tangled up with a few others and then dropped on the ground, so I'm not sure what our time was when we crossed.)

The whole thing was awesome. And no, that was NOT beer Brent was drinking. The parks strictly forbid beverages of that sort and everyone was there to have fun and no rules were broken. The volunteers were GREAT - esp the lady in the cowboy hat and the Mile 21 water stop crew (pictured in one of the posts below). And the popsicles afterwards - OMG! I was freezing but that banana choc chip popsicle was worth 26 miles of hilly torture.

The winning guy was around 2:50 or something - RIDICULOUS!! Well, I am going to take a WARMMMMMM shower and then a nap. I have SO earned it. I'm really not that sore - yet. My left foot - always my weakness - has taken a massive beating. I've got a large bruise that I felt pretty badly from Mile 12 on.

Lots and lots of pics to follow tomorrow!!! Congrats to everyone else who conquered the Monkey today, as well as all the Philly finishers. Shore Turtle - you are my freakin' hero!!! You're a rock star!!!

Oh, and Brent - sorry I lied to you about what our time was up to those last few miles. See, I knew we were going to break 5 hours for a while, but then I knew we could REALLY beat it if I had a few extra cushion minutes in there. You know I just like to push you. It wouldn't have been the same without you. How about a 50K in January??? We could be ultrarunners...... =)

23 Comments:

At 3:10 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

ROCK ON!

Can't wait to hear the details on the race.

Great Jedi mind trip on Brent. It worked well.

Hope your foot heals quickly... take a good rest, you two have deserved it!

 
At 4:41 PM, Blogger Anne said...

A banana-chip popsicle sounds good to me and I'm just reading...not running. Sounds like it was a terrific adventure on foot. Glad you had a *great time.*

 
At 4:53 PM, Blogger RedheadFangirl said...

I can't believe how adorable the two of you are even during a marathon. Seriously, you need a reality show- stat!

I'm really proud of you both, and watching Shoreturtle today, he was so in control and fine at the finish! He snuck up on the whole pack of us with his 3:53 time!!

 
At 6:04 PM, Blogger ShoreTurtle said...

I'm amazed that you took such cool photos during a marathon. I had my camera phone with me but decided that it would take too much energy to take it out of my pocket--besides, your marathon looked much more interesting!

The nashville duo rocks!

 
At 6:10 PM, Blogger E-Speed said...

Rockin Guys!!! Awesome job!

 
At 7:33 PM, Blogger MNFirefly said...

Awesome job you two. You both amaze me. Awesome time too.

 
At 7:54 PM, Blogger Darrell said...

You are a tricky girl Rae and Brent sure picked a couple of tough ones to cut his marathon teeth on. He should be really proud of himself. And now you're talking 50K. You two are awesome!

 
At 7:59 PM, Blogger Perry said...

Great job!! Second marathon in 1 month is really impressive. You make a trail marathon sound fun. Maybe it will inspire me to try one. Thanks.

Perry
Just Your Average Joggler

 
At 8:04 PM, Blogger Danny said...

you guys are nuts!

there was one (little) hill in philly today, and i was dying on it. belive it or not, i was thinking of you guys at the time, (and thinking how crazy you were!)

that being said, it sounds like you had a lot of fun. pretty impressive time too.

looking forward to more pics and details!

 
At 9:11 PM, Blogger Theoutofshapeguy said...

Great Job Kids!!! Congrats. You guys kicked some ass

 
At 3:50 AM, Blogger Jack said...

Geez, I get behind in reading blogs one weekend and you guy finish yet another marathon ;-) You guys are awesome! Enjoy a well deserved rest!

 
At 5:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great Job on a tough course!

 
At 6:20 AM, Blogger Iron Jayhawk said...

You two seriously have some superhuman powers. I am massively impressed!! We need more closeups of this wood medal!

 
At 11:13 AM, Blogger Afternoon Tea With Oranges said...

Congrats! That's a great time for such a hilly course!

Ultrarunners?!?!?! I see the writing on the wall. :)

 
At 12:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

:) yeah! i am so proud of you guys!!! now rest!!! Enjoy!

 
At 2:02 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Fantastic job!

You would rock a 50K!!!!!!!!

 
At 3:51 PM, Blogger Trisaratops said...

Awesome!!! Enjoy it!

 
At 7:14 PM, Blogger brent said...

cool, nice work guys!!!!!

 
At 10:32 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Congratulations to you both. Ultrarunning??? I was wondering when I was going to hear those words from you.

 
At 4:58 AM, Blogger David said...

The Monkey had no chance. Great team run.

 
At 12:06 PM, Blogger Cliff said...

wasn't it just a while back u and brent did a marathon?

Congrats...

what's with all the crazy costumes :)

 
At 1:31 PM, Blogger My Life said...

What a cool marathon and a spectacular run for you! Great job!

 
At 2:28 PM, Blogger jeanne said...

I DON'T KNOW HOW I MISSED THIS!! oh yes i do know, i was out of the country!!! HOLY COW!! CONGRATS!!! can't wait to read the rest!!
Here are some more exclamation points!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home